Laundry. A chore. A science. An art.

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Laundry. A chore. A science. An art.

Post by Josh »

We just use an Eco-Wash system. Don't need to use soap at all, which also means your clothes last longer. (If you get a grease spot etc you can spot-treat it.) I don't use soap either (no hippie jokes please). My wife can't quite embrace that so she has some Lemongrass products that smell good but are made with various oils instead of harsh soaps. (I reluctantly accept that Lemongrass has the best products for this on the market, laying aside my normal opposition to MLMs.)

The history of commercially made soap is an interesting one - basically one of the first major consumer products to convince the masses that they needed, and mostly as a path toward upward social mobility.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:45 am My wife can't quite embrace that so she has some Lemongrass products that smell good but are made with various oils instead of harsh soaps. (I reluctantly accept that Lemongrass has the best products for this on the market, laying aside my normal opposition to MLMs.)
I'm not living in complete victory either, due to my wife and Lemongrass. We need to stand in solidarity against MLMs!
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Verity wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:28 am How many people in your household?

The children used to do the cooked Fels Naptha homemade soap thing until we discovered that equal parts of baking soda, washing soda and borax work just as well without any grating of soap bars or cooking. Works well on shop rags and barn clothes, too.
0 x
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

That number is about right for nine people. Unless it is summertime and you have small children needing multiple changes of clothes, then the number of loads goes up exponentially. ;)
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:28 am
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:45 am My wife can't quite embrace that so she has some Lemongrass products that smell good but are made with various oils instead of harsh soaps. (I reluctantly accept that Lemongrass has the best products for this on the market, laying aside my normal opposition to MLMs.)
I'm not living in complete victory either, due to my wife and Lemongrass. We need to stand in solidarity against MLMs!
I’ve computed the cost and we actually spend hardly anything on LG… compared to what we used to spend on laundry soap, body wash, bars of soap, shampoo and so on.

LG also has a “natural” deodorant which… well, it works for me if I also add in one of those rock crystal deodorants.

These are areas which easily add up to $100 a month. I bought a car for $1500 last year, so I can say a little thriftiness in this area gave us a nice new (well, new for us) vehicle.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

I’m just against MLM’s to the point that I would rather pay more money for an inferior Walmart product, than pay less money for a superior MLM product - even though generally it’s more money for an MLM. I just strongly dislike MLM. But obviously my wife is not on my side. It’s a lonely crusade.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:33 pm I’m just against MLM’s to the point that I would rather pay more money for an inferior Walmart product, than pay less money for a superior MLM product - even though generally it’s more money for an MLM. I just strongly dislike MLM. But obviously my wife is not on my side. It’s a lonely crusade.
Same here (although my wife is pretty anti-MLM, mostly developed from getting tired of people during COVID trying to have online "parties" where you were asked to get a bunch of other people to join some WhatsApp group and then made to feel obligated to buy stuff you don't need).

Lemongrass is a unique case since I simply can't find the products they sell being sold by anyone else with the formulations they have. They may have hit on a unique niche. If so, they are the only MLM that meets this criteria.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:10 pm
RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:33 pm I’m just against MLM’s to the point that I would rather pay more money for an inferior Walmart product, than pay less money for a superior MLM product - even though generally it’s more money for an MLM. I just strongly dislike MLM. But obviously my wife is not on my side. It’s a lonely crusade.
Same here (although my wife is pretty anti-MLM, mostly developed from getting tired of people during COVID trying to have online "parties" where you were asked to get a bunch of other people to join some WhatsApp group and then made to feel obligated to buy stuff you don't need).

Lemongrass is a unique case since I simply can't find the products they sell being sold by anyone else with the formulations they have. They may have hit on a unique niche. If so, they are the only MLM that meets this criteria.
My wife is quite opposed to MLM but does use some of those expensive rags, forgetting the name at the moment, which someone gave her. She always hates to decline the invitation to parties where a friend is trying to sell stuff to friends to make money or get free product, because it's just awkward to decline an invitation from a friend. I feel the same way about those parties as I do a person who uses their personal social media account to sell stuff. I typically hide or unfriend people who do that.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Norwex. My wife bought those too. My wife said that she won $300+ of Lemongrass last month in a drawing. I don’t know what she got with it, but probably was enough money for at least two tubes of lotion. :shock: ;)
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:41 pm Norwex. My wife bought those too. My wife said that she won $300+ of Lemongrass last month in a drawing. I don’t know what she got with it, but probably was enough money for at least two tubes of lotion. :shock: ;)
That's it. The rags where you don't need soap and never need to wash them out, right?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3