Laundry. A chore. A science. An art.

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Re: Laundry. A chore. A science. An art.

Post by QuietlyListening »

I use vinegar in every load- started when I read it is good for the washer itself. I also don't use fabric softener in the washer or softener sheets in the dryer. Rarely have static cling.
Like Somebody- I use less detergent than called for- saves money, suds and clothes as clean and I believe I read you can actually have cleaner clothes- too much soap isn't always good.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

QuietlyListening wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:36 am I use vinegar in every load- started when I read it is good for the washer itself.
I also don't use fabric softener in the washer or softener sheets in the dryer. Rarely have static cling.

Like Somebody-
I use less detergent than called for- saves money, suds and clothes as clean and I believe I read you can actually have cleaner clothes- too much soap isn't always good.

i barely use laundry detergent now. (i now use the detergent bottle cap for measuring vinegar.) :lol:
as i’ve read more about how+why it works, i’ve used it more.

i began hoping it would brighten whites - i now use it faithfully to soak+wash DARKS. with best results ever for darks.
once i read that darks “fade” a lot due to soap RESIDUE, and, about how vinegar helps with lint, etc., i gained confidence to try it.

i have a stadard washer.
i add 3 cups distilled white vinegar to the water, add darks, soak overnight. (this is more vinegar than i’ve ever noticed recommended.)
rinse 2-3 times.

that’s it. nicest darks i’ve ever had. no vinegar smell.

“ Top 10 Reasons to Use Vinegar in Laundry” / The Spruce
https://www.thespruce.com/top-uses-for- ... ry-2147286
Using inexpensive distilled white vinegar in laundry will whiten, brighten, reduce odor, and soften clothes without harsh chemicals. Vinegar is safe to use in both standard and high-efficiency washers and is beneficial to septic tanks and the environment.1

All types of vinegar contain acetic acid that works to brighten, soften, and kill odors in your laundry. Cider vinegar is made from the juice of apples and has an acidity in the range of five-to-six percent. It is yellow or golden amber in color.

Distilled, or white, vinegar is produced from the second fermentation of dilute distilled alcohol. The alcohol could be made from grain or the starch from corn, potatoes, rice, or barley. Distilled vinegar is usually less acidic than cider vinegar and ranges from four-to-seven percent acidity. It may also be labeled as Cleaning Vinegar but can be used in laundry.

When buying vinegar to use in the laundry, choose distilled white vinegar. It contains no tannins (natural plant dyes) that can stain clothes and it is less expensive. If you must use cider vinegar, use less and dilute it with water before pouring directly on clothes.

There’s a lot written on it. There’s caution not to mix with bleach. i don’t mix, esp not for darks!
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

More on HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

“5 Reasons to Use Hydrogen Peroxide for Laundry”
https://www.thespruce.com/reasons-to-us ... de-2145991
i’m not sure why this article doesn’t mention MILDEW. ^^ :?
temporal1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:56 am MILDEW

Hydrogen Peroxide
Alcohol

i don’t often have problems with mildew. :-|
however, because of my summer months away, heat+humidity get the best of a few items.

i discovered, hydrogen peroxide works wonders - on some items. :) book covers. :D
i’ve read, alcohol is recommended. i have not tried.

Leather gloves?? :?

i have 2 pair suede leather gloves, black and brown, both with mildew on the surfaces.

i’m trying to find courage to spray with h. peroxide.
i’m asking myself: “what is there to lose?” :-|

Advice? ..
i’m just beginning to experiment with Hydrogen Peroxide.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

BOB VILA / “Never Combine Bleach and Vinegar When Cleaning—Here’s Why”
“Find out why this cleaning combo is a hazard waiting to happen—and how to avoid it while you sanitize and disinfect around the house.”
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/bleach-and-vinegar/
.. Safe Application of Bleach and Vinegar
Heavily soiled surfaces may benefit from a vinegar application after a bleach application or vice versa.

To use bleach and vinegar separately, one after the other, completely rinse the first cleaner from the surface with water and dry it before applying the other to prevent the two from mixing and emitting chlorine gas.

Consider dingy tile floors or shower walls, for example.
You may wish to use a solution of equal parts chlorine bleach and water to eliminate mold from the grout
and sanitize the tiles themselves with a solution of one-half cup vinegar and one gallon of water.

In this scenario, tackle the grout first with the bleach solution, rinse it with plain water until one of the bleach solution remains,
dry the grout with towels or air-dry completely, and only then apply the vinegar solution to the tiles. ..
^^There’s more in the article.

0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

My experiment, washing darks in cold water+vinegar only, has become a regular comfort.
i can’t think of a downside. maybe time? i do 24 hr soaks. that might not work well for busy families.

i use 3 cups of white distilled vinegar in a standard washer. (more than suggested, but, why not?)

affordable
effective

i’m SUPER HAPPY about not sending detergent/suds to the septic.

i’m SUPER HAPPY at softness, no lint, no hair-fur, no detergent/soap residue on anything, esp on black clothing.

i’m SUPER HAPPY at dark colors not compromised by soap residue.
0 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

My wife decided to keep track of how many loads of laundry she does this year.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:04 pm My wife decided to keep track of how many loads of laundry she does this year.
:shock:
That might make for a fun monthly guessing game. :wave:

i miss MD’s Fri+Sat fun+games, trivia, stories, challenges, races, etc.

It would be interesting to see how wash load numbers change with the seasons.

Do you have more than one washer?
0 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:15 pm
RZehr wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:04 pm My wife decided to keep track of how many loads of laundry she does this year.
:shock:
That might make for a fun monthly guessing game. :wave:

i miss MD’s Fri+Sat fun+games, trivia, stories, challenges, races, etc.

It would be interesting to see how wash load numbers change with the seasons.

Do you have more than one washer?
We just have one washer. Growing up, we had 3 wash machines in the house. But only used two. The other was in the basement and just sat there. But there were 15 people in that house.
1 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

95 laundry loads in January.
0 x
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

How many people in your household?

The children used to do the cooked Fels Naptha homemade soap thing until we discovered that equal parts of baking soda, washing soda and borax work just as well without any grating of soap bars or cooking. Works well on shop rags and barn clothes, too.
0 x