The Bee Thread

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

The Bee Thread

Post by Szdfan »

I think I’ve mentioned several times before that my wife is a beekeeper. She’s been wanting to start an occasional video blog on beekeeping and we finally got the first entry up.

[video][/video]

(Don’t worry, I’m behind the camera and you don’t have to look at me.)

(Now I have to finish editing several more hours of beekeeping videos).

This thread is for discussions on beekeeping and bees.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
violet
Affiliation:

Re: The Bee Thread

Post by violet »

I appreciate learning.

I have one hive.

I have been a bee keeper for mere weeks so I figure I will be more in the learning mode than the helping mode.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Looking forward to the buzz on beekeeping. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I used to have three hives, but I developed an allergic reaction to their sting. So I got out of it.
0 x
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

Our daughter had an allergic reaction to a sting 14 years ago. I'm not sure I'd want to have bee hives for that reason.
Can having allergic reactions be a family trait? My sister is also allergic and so is at least one nephew.

I think having honey from your own hives would be nice.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

violet wrote:I appreciate learning.

I have one hive.

I have been a bee keeper for mere weeks so I figure I will be more in the learning mode than the helping mode.
That’s really awesome!

We just expanded to six hives — four at the house and two at an out yard and hour south of us. We also have several Nucs.

We hope to gradually expand to 50 hives and run a sideline business selling queens and nucs.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I’m also learning, but my wife is a fount or knowledge.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
queserasera_2
Affiliation:

Post by queserasera_2 »

My husband is both beekeeper and bee veterinarian.

He also was allergic until he got allergy shots. Now he just tries to get stung fairly regularly. He has almost no reaction anymore....
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

queserasera_2 wrote:My husband is both beekeeper and bee veterinarian.

He also was allergic until he got allergy shots. Now he just tries to get stung fairly regularly. He has almost no reaction anymore....
My wife isn’t allergic, but her stings don’t swell up as much as they used to.

I’ve never heard of a bee vet before.
0 x
queserasera_2
Affiliation:

Post by queserasera_2 »

Szdfan wrote:I’ve never heard of a bee vet before.
Very tiny scalpels ;)

It's for antibiotic use. They now need prescriptions for it....
0 x
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

please tell us more about the antibiotic uses.

I do have one question. (okay, maybe more than one)

I know we were supposed to get two hives. But, we didn't want to financially go in that deep, so we got one.

I went with Carnolians, which is a gamble for a new keeper I am told, because they tend to be swarmers, or so I am told. But, with the winters I have, I thought they would fair better. (The Russians made me nervous because they are more aggressive and I didn't think the Italians would do as well in our winters)

I have been checking weekly, but I don't see any capped queen cells.

On my fourth frame, this frame is much thicker than the rest. The bees have built not only on the frame, but another layer on top of it that they tunnel into the lower area and then have a thick honey layer on the outside. Is this normal? The other frames look just like they should, single and honey/pollen/brood. any thoughts on this weird fourth frame?

It is as though they have "double layered" the frame. I know I am not describing this very well.

Also, what is bee bread?
0 x