Public libraries. 21st Century saloons?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Public libraries. 21st Century saloons?

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:46 pm I looked at my property tax bill, and see that I pay about $200 per year that goes to the library.
So if the average book costs about $20 then 10 of those books are courtesy of you. I hope you go read them!
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:51 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:46 pm I looked at my property tax bill, and see that I pay about $200 per year that goes to the library.
So if the average book costs about $20 then 10 of those books are courtesy of you. I hope you go read them!
I don’t, but my children sure do. The books that I read, they charged me big bucks for, even though I had a library card. And wouldn’t let me borrow more until I paid them a bunch of money.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:56 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:51 pm
I don’t, but my children sure do. The books that I read, they charged me big bucks for, even though I had a library card. And wouldn’t let me borrow more until I paid them a bunch of money.
My tax statement doesn't break out a line item for the library. Just for the city. But I probably get my money's worth just on the savings in magazine subscriptions alone. I usually hang out in the periodicals section reading magazines when I'm downtown waiting for my kids music lessons and such. The most heavy users of our local library by far are the homeschool families. They are always collecting there during the day for all kinds of activities. But the library also does lots of organized after school stuff for school kids as well.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Our family gets a lot of use from the library as well. We have four or five library cards and my wife had to use one of the children's last trip because she was over the limit on hers. I don't check out a lot of books but when I do they are very specific and not in circulation but if I request it they will happily get a copy for me in several days.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Our library will give you a running total of money you saved by borrowing books vs buying them. Sure it is hardback prices but interesting to see. They give a yearly total and lifetime of your card total
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

P.5:
ohio jones wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:51 pm Another factor is that the saloons (along with most everyone else) aren't buying enough books anymore.
“Digital reading soars in Seattle, creating problems for local libraries”
https://www.kuow.org/stories/digital-re ... -libraries
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN