Cost of having a baby

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Cost of having a baby

Post by RZehr »

How much is the going rate now on your area? Hospital, Doctor, Epidural.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Cost of having a baby

Post by ohio jones »

Just over $8k, COD.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Hospital gave me an estimate of $11,000 for 48hr stay. Not including medicine, tests, doctor, or anesthesiologist. These are all billed separately.
The anesthesiologist cost for an epidural is $500 per hour, and which is $6,000 if you have 12 hours.
Not sure yet what the doctor rate is.

These are self pay prices.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Mid-wives at home range between $750 and $1200. More if in a clinic with an aid.

Local hospital.... don't remember as I had good insurance then. The twins would have cost us a year's wages if it wouldn't have been for the insurance.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i cannot resist. :oops:
whenever the cost of hospital childbirth come up, i have a mental flashback.
maybe as a young teen, my mother showed me a receipt from the local hospital, for one of the six of us .. it was a whopping $200. :shock: .. (it may have been, $201.57, or so) .. :P

this was a significant number then. my parents were proud, and relieved, they were able to pay such a sum. no min wage in those days!

but, wait! there’s more. :D
for this sum, for a healthy, normal delivery, my mother spent 2 WEEKS “in confinement,” in the hospital, i suppose they would say. mothers were given tremendous support, especially help with establishing breast feeding. she felt this was a great value to women and their newborns.

as i got older, i realized, for my mother, this was probably the closest thing she ever experienced to having a vacation. she was fed, no laundry, no caring for others in the middle of the night, etc.
my mother was a happy “patient!” her ordinary life was a life of work, being hospitalized was a sort of luxury, she appreciated it. she loved her nurses, and they loved her. :D

today, mothers are often home with new babies within 24 hours! my mother did not like this!
i did. i couldn’t wait to get home with our new little ones! but, i definitely appreciate her POV.

i’m glad she told me about how things were. if she had not, i’m not sure i could believe it.

the sums of money people talk about today, on all aspects of life, are hard for me to grasp.
i still believe an annual family income of $20,000 should be “pretty good.” :mrgreen:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

RZehr wrote:Hospital gave me an estimate of $11,000 for 48hr stay. Not including medicine, tests, doctor, or anesthesiologist. These are all billed separately.
The anesthesiologist cost for an epidural is $500 per hour, and which is $6,000 if you have 12 hours.

These look like charge master prices. If you are not in urgent need, ask what discounts they have, partial prepayment is commonly one. If there is a co-op in your area, see if they have a negotiated agreement.

I don’t know what the situation is in Oregon, but the Old Order Amish co-op saves people a fortune.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
RZehr wrote:Hospital gave me an estimate of $11,000 for 48hr stay. Not including medicine, tests, doctor, or anesthesiologist. These are all billed separately.

These look like charge master prices. If you are not in urgent need, ask what discounts they have, partial prepayment is commonly one. If there is a co-op in your area, see if they have a negotiated agreement.

I don’t know what the situation is in Oregon, but the Old Order Amish co-op saves people a fortune.

J.M.
We typically use a midwife, but ended up in the hospital about six years ago. 24 hour stay with no epidural was I think around $8K. We are members of a Mennonite co-op that has a pricing arrangement with the health system.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

Our first child using our local hospital and their midwife for prenatal care, was around $10,000.

With our second child we decided to go with a midwife that served the Mennonites, and do a home birth. I believe that was supposed to be around $3000. However our son had different ideas and ended up coming 12 weeks early, and thus was born at the hospital. His entire stay of 71 days ended up being over $600,000, thankfully they were able to offer us a large discount, and we only ended up with a bill for $160,000
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Goodness. In Australia having a baby is free.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:Goodness. In Australia having a baby is free.
:lol:

Let's take the case of a person earning $40k US per year.
:arrow: In the US, that person would pay federal income tax of $3170 US, plus 12% of each additional US$, if single; less if married.
:arrow: In Australia, that person would pay income tax of $7005 US, plus 23% of each additional US$. The numbers will change slightly depending on the exchange rate.

If you have a baby every other year, it comes out about the same. Otherwise the Australians are paying a lot more for their free babies.

Or for something. Yes, I'm sure that's oversimplified.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited