Cost of having a baby

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Cost of having a baby

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote:
That's nice of you Josh. I suspect if Temp made $200k+ like you do she might not be bothered so much about the cost associated with her health care coverage.
if i had 1 year like that, i could save enough, possibly, to stretch through my remaining years, if no big complications. i will not hold my breath on that. :mrgreen:
Well, maybe - keep in mind though that Uncle Sam loves people like that. He keeps very close, always has his hand in their pockets. :lol:
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote:
temporal1 wrote:
That's nice of you Josh. I suspect if Temp made $200k+ like you do she might not be bothered so much about the cost associated with her health care coverage.
if i had 1 year like that, i could save enough, possibly, to stretch through my remaining years, if no big complications. i will not hold my breath on that. :mrgreen:
Well, maybe - keep in mind though that Uncle Sam loves people like that. He keeps very close, always has his hand in their pockets. :lol:
so very true. i was thinking of this as i was dreaming of possibilities. taxes!

Income Averaging
https://budgeting.thenest.com/can-avera ... 21906.html

you made me recall a former tax law that was a good one, in my view.
for some years, IRS allowed Income Averaging to help folks with “windfall” type incomes.
at the time, ANYONE who had an unusually high income in any given year could “average” the windfall (over 3 years, if my memory serves). it softened the blow, PLUS, helped keep taxpayers from jumping into a higher tax rate, for that one year.

i remember it, ‘cause, it was eliminated when we sold a lot, 1980’s, for $40,000.
after we paid 10% real estate commission, and 25% federal income taxes, we felt put-upon, knowing Income Averaging would have helped.

from my quick search, it appears, a form of Income Averaging is now offered to some filers, but not all.

Robert may want to take a look at it, to help with his 2019 MN income windfall. :lol:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
temporal1 wrote: sorry. i’m thrown by “we” again. :oops:
are you from Australia?
No, we Americans have far and away the most expensive system in the world.

Only somewhere near 70% actually goes for patient care. It just comes from so many different sources we cannot easily track it.

J.M.
I have to admit that having a six figure job on the receiving end of that 30% of overhead made me quite comfortable.

Unless you think the world needs more “consultants”, consider that next time you defend a “free market” health care system.
The working definition of a consultant is a person who charges you dearly to tell you what your staff already knows, but you have too much pride and arrogance to ask.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote:That's nice of you Josh. I suspect if Temp made $200k+ like you do she might not be bothered so much about the cost associated with her health care coverage.
Medicare is about 2.9%, plus the 1.45% part employers have to pay for any employees (that employees don't notice / care about as it's not part of their wages).
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/midwife ... 21923.html
Thought this was interesting. Midwife in New York delivering Mennonite babys.
Typical New York State nanny-stateism. Requiring midwives to have a master's degree :roll:

Those in NYC and their acolytes in Albany can't seem to notice the rest of the country that gets along just fine without their over-credentialing (you know, the part of the country they derisively call "flyover country").

Of course this is the same place where painters and drywallers have to be certified. Goodness knows what horrors happen if your walls are painted by an amateur.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Keep in mind I pay about $3,500 a year to your Medicare.
Medicare is about 2.9%, plus the 1.45% part employers have to pay for any employees (that employees don't notice / care about as it's not part of their wages).
2.9% includes both the employer and employee contributions, 1.45% each.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:That's nice of you Josh. I suspect if Temp made $200k+ like you do she might not be bothered so much about the cost associated with her health care coverage.
The employee share of Medicare tax is 1.45% of gross taxable wages. The employer is taxed another 1.45%. There is a 3.8% Medicare Surtax levied on that portion of modified adjusted gross income >$200,000 for single taxpayers.
An employee making $200,000 pays $2,900 in Medicare tax.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:
Typical New York State nanny-stateism. Requiring midwives to have a master's degree :roll:

Those in NYC and their acolytes in Albany can't seem to notice the rest of the country that gets along just fine without their over-credentialing (you know, the part of the country they derisively call "flyover country").

Of course this is the same place where painters and drywallers have to be certified. Goodness knows what horrors happen if your walls are painted by an amateur.
:? I thought NY was the state that just passed a law allowing any medical professional that wants to to perform abortions, in order to "protect access to abortion."
What a twisted mindset, to be more concerned about providing access to providers of death than about allowing experienced people to assist in bringing new life into the world.
0 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

I am following this story with interest...This was the lady that did the prenatal care for our last child. Had he not been a preemie, He would have ended up being born around the time that she was arrested. I am somewhat torn about how to feel about it, on the one hand I certainly wish NY would not be so heavy handed, essentially banning home birth...or at least making it impractical. On the other hand she was breaking the law, I suppose she will likely pay the consequences for doing that.

In completely unrelated news, Canandaigua Medical Group, which is across the street from and works closely with FF Thompson, the hospital that allegedly reported this midwife, has just torn down and built a fancy new facility. They would also be the closest place for all the Mennonites to get Prenatal and midwife services. I'm not saying there is a connection, but I heard both stories within a week of each other....
https://www.mpnnow.com/news/20181207/ne ... anandaigua
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

If someone is making it cost $20,000 to have a healthy baby, they won’t want competition.

And that 30% C-section figure is insane. Midwife births were closer to 5%. C-sections are pretty expensive.

I would take the state and medical profession more seriously if they weren’t also doing a brisk business murdering babies left and right.
0 x