Cost of having a baby

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Cost of having a baby

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/midwife ... 21923.html
Thought this was interesting. Midwife in New York delivering Mennonite babys.
Typical New York State nanny-stateism. Requiring midwives to have a master's degree :roll:

Those in NYC and their acolytes in Albany can't seem to notice the rest of the country that gets along just fine without their over-credentialing (you know, the part of the country they derisively call "flyover country").

Of course this is the same place where painters and drywallers have to be certified. Goodness knows what horrors happen if your walls are painted by an amateur.
Yeah, I had a New York License, gave it up due to the hassle connected with renewing it. They also have some really weird rules, you need to have three different people to do what I do myself, because the scopes of the licenses are so limited.

I do, however firmly disagree with your view of Midwife education. A masters should be seen as an absolute necessity. That is a standard nursing degree plus two years of combined clinical and didactic training.

The most successful place where home births is the norm rather than the exception is the Netherlands, that is their standard, plus all of their midwives have hospital privileges to facilitate transfer in case something goes wrong. It also allows the midwife to do proper prenatal care, since they can order and fully understand lab and imaging results.

I know I am probably the minority here. I will agree our system stinks, and gives poorer results at higher cost than most of western Europe.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Childbirth is a normal thing, as is being a midwife or a birth attendant.

Requiring masters’ degrees means that most Plain people can’t be midwives. Most of us maintain convictions against higher education, and with good reason.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:Childbirth is a normal thing, as is being a midwife or a birth attendant.

Requiring masters’ degrees means that most Plain people can’t be midwives. Most of us maintain convictions against higher education, and with good reason.
Plain people can’t be surgeons either unless they modify their views on education. I know plain physicians, nurse anesthetists, occupational therapists, public health nurses and at least one nuclear medicine technologist. If you want good outcomes be prepared to get the proper training and experience. Minimal training will work if everything goes smoothly . But when things go wrong, pray that you have someone who can deal with it.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Josh wrote:Childbirth is a normal thing, as is being a midwife or a birth attendant.

Plain people can’t be surgeons either unless they modify their views on education. I know plain physicians, nurse anesthetists, occupational therapists, public health nurses and at least one nuclear medicine technologist. If you want good outcomes be prepared to get the proper training and experience. Minimal training will work if everything goes smoothly . But when things go wrong, pray that you have someone who can deal with it.

J.M.
Childbirth isn’t complex surgery, though. One doesn’t need a masters’ degree to make a hospital referral, and I don’t need an M.S. to know when it’s time to call 911.

I think it’s a bad idea to criminalise childbirth and to credentialise childbirth.

And the simple fact is that most groups with higher education are on a worldly path. I’m not interested in being part of a denomination like MC USA or whatever the CMC calls itself now.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/midwife ... 21923.html
Thought this was interesting. Midwife in New York delivering Mennonite babys.
Typical New York State nanny-stateism. Requiring midwives to have a master's degree :roll:

Those in NYC and their acolytes in Albany can't seem to notice the rest of the country that gets along just fine without their over-credentialing (you know, the part of the country they derisively call "flyover country").

Of course this is the same place where painters and drywallers have to be certified.
Goodness knows what horrors happen if your walls are painted by an amateur.
:? I thought NY was the state that just passed a law allowing any medical professional that wants to to perform abortions, in order to "protect access to abortion."

What a twisted mindset,
to be more concerned about providing access to providers of death
than about allowing experienced people to assist in bringing new life into the world.

It was a pleasant 4 years when brakes were applied to slow the twisted mindset.
Not looking forward to what’s coming. :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN