The History of Bundling

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

The History of Bundling

Post by temporal1 »

The bunny trail topic of bed courtship and bundling showed up in an unexpected thread,
Page 4 - Does the Kingdom of God trump politics?
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... ing#p49505

Then, went on to begin a new thread,
Page 1 - Pun-Meter
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... ing#p49572
steve-in-kville wrote:
Josh wrote: For example, the Swartzentruber Amish might seem very “plain”, but also have widespread use of tobacco and some engage in the rather sordid custom of “bed courtship”, which to me seems pretty worldly.
What exactly is bed courtship? Is this the same as "bundling"? I never heard of this before.
The topic jogged my memory a bit.
i began to recall, i had heard of these practices when i was very young .. was it in pioneer history?!
i was thinking i’d heard of it BEFORE i learned of Anabaptist practices.

Yes. i found some history. :D
It’s thought to go back to Northern Europe, and was in use by Puritans ..

Colonial Williamsburg -
“Courtship, Sex, and the Single Colonist”

http://www.history.org/foundation/journ ... /court.cfm
.. It's said that the precedent for bundling came from the biblical story of Ruth and Boaz,
in which Ruth, a young widow, and Boaz, a wealthy landowner, spend a night together on a threshing room floor and go on to become husband and wife. :oops:

Bundling, or bed courting, as it was also known, was introduced to the American colonies by the early flood of Scots, Welsh, and other European immigrants.
Doubtless, the cold, damp nights of their northern climes contributed to its popularity.
Bundling under the covers panders to a certain Scottish thriftiness toward winter heating bills, as an eighteenth-century ditty confirms:

Since in a bed a man and maid,
May bundle and be chaste,
It does no good to burn out wood,
It is just needless waste. ..
Certainly, “that night” with Ruth and Boaz is quite an interesting part of scriptures .. :D
but, alas, details are not shared. i trust Boaz behaved himself, no matter how trying the circumstances! Ruth’s mother sent her there .. it is quite a situation. :mrgreen: o.my.goodness.
i try not to over-think it. :P

i’d never heard this possible scriptural correlation before. may-be. :)

“Weird Decor: What is a Bundling Board?“
https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/weird- ... ard-214210
.. Bundling boards are thought to have originated in Northern Europe, but now are usually associated with the Puritans of the American Colonies.
It was a way for young men and women to have some alone time, in an era when that was very scarce for everyone, not just courting couples. After all, most large Puritan families lived in very small, simple homes, so it’s likely that “date night” consisted of dinner and bible study with the siblings.

:arrow: Consider that the 17th and even 18th centuries were a period without excessive emphasis on emotional bonding before marriage, so it must have been nice for these couples to get a chance to talk through the night before agreeing to the match.

:arrow: And, it turns out, the bundling board was useful for any kind of bed sharing that was necessary.

There are plenty of historical mentions of bundling boards used in inns where strangers might share a bed or even in private homes when a traveler needed a place to sleep.

At the very least, it would have prevented kicking your bed-mate during the night. Handy!
Bundling boards - not just for courtship! :mrgreen:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: The History of Bundling

Post by steve-in-kville »

I still can't believe this is still in practice. The only time I ever heard of this was in a movie based on the Revolutionary War.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote:I still can't believe this is still in practice. The only time I ever heard of this was in a movie based on the Revolutionary War.
post-central heating, it’s harder to grasp the concept.
the reading above reminded me of stories of Abraham Lincoln traveling, as an attorney, he had a circuit, he rode on a horse, then he went to D.C., but, he stayed in Inns, sometimes sharing beds with strangers .. that’s what they did. :D .. i feel sorry for his bed-mates, he was so tall+lanky!
i’m sure he tried to be considerate. but, those old beds were small! and, lumpy. :lol:

when you get “tired-enough,” you will sleep. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote:I still can't believe this is still in practice. The only time I ever heard of this was in a movie based on the Revolutionary War.
Well, Swartzies tend to avoid anything newer than 1800, so, for example, they don’t use modern gravel on their driveways.

It’s amazing how many conservative seekers refuse to believe they do these things. “I just don’t believe it, they are so plain and seem so godly,” say many, apparently confusing grey fabrics, stiff starched black kapps, and buggies so plain you can’t see them at night with seeking Jesus’ kingdom.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Old fashion is not the same as Holy.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Josh wrote:
Well, Swartzies tend to avoid anything newer than 1800, so, for example, they don’t use modern gravel on their driveways.

It’s amazing how many conservative seekers refuse to believe they do these things. “I just don’t believe it, they are so plain and seem so godly,” say many, apparently confusing grey fabrics, stiff starched black kapps, and buggies so plain you can’t see them at night with seeking Jesus’ kingdom.
I would suggest being somewhat more respectful towards Shwartzentrubers. We don't gain anything by tearing the other down. Fifty years ago bed courtship seemed to be the standard practice in our OO communities. It was the coming of the Pathway papers that brought awareness of this issue. Like Ira Wagler said in a recent post; those fierce old men that started Pathway have had quite a widespread influence among OO people across North America.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Hats Off wrote:
Josh wrote:

I would suggest being somewhat more respectful towards Shwartzentrubers. We don't gain anything by tearing the other down. Fifty years ago bed courtship seemed to be the standard practice in our OO communities. It was the coming of the Pathway papers that brought awareness of this issue. Like Ira Wagler said in a recent post; those fierce old men that started Pathway have had quite a widespread influence among OO people across North America.
Just because something was widespread in OO communities does not somehow make it okay.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
Hats Off wrote:
Josh wrote:

Just because something was widespread in OO communities does not somehow make it okay.
Brings back memories of a former OO Amish friend who was passing out tracts specifically written to reach Swartzentruber. Bed courtship was mentioned on the tract. (This Evangelical former Amish was still OO Amish, passing out these tracts to Swartz. He also never missed an opportunity to speak with the ones parked on the corners, selling their bskery & baskets, quilts. He felt most were 'lost' and needed reached with the Gospel-
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Just because something was widespread in OO communities does not somehow make it okay.
Just because something is not widespread today does not make it not OK either.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Josh wrote: Just because something was widespread in OO communities does not somehow make it okay.
Just because something is not widespread today does not make it not OK either.
I suppose the question is- as temp brought up the Scripture about Ruth & Boaz-
Is this particular practice considered 'sin'? If 'abiding by the rules' - in all of our minds I think it seems setting yourself up for a fall- but- in it's earliest days & reasons- I don't think (it seems) the intention was sinful- all I have read the couple is fully clothed and if there's a board between them-
It's so odd to us I realize but being alone anywhere, in privacy- there is 'potential to fall' but apparently this was done in the family home-
0 x