Lyme Disease Vaccination

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Lyme Disease Vaccination

Post by temporal1 »

Lyme Disease has been mentioned on forum now+then.
My family enjoys the outdoors, i warn about ticks.
Just saw this, i knew nothing about a vaccine, for man or beast:

2012 / “Why Your Dog Can Get Vaccinated Against Lyme Disease And You Can't”
http://www.wbur.org/news/2012/06/27/lyme-vaccine
.. So for now, there’s no sign of any vaccine becoming available.
And if there were, Poland says the old opponents are already promising to fight the introduction of any new Lyme vaccine.

"So we know scientifically how to develop a vaccine that would protect against all this human misery," Poland says with an air of regret. "And yet, for these societal and cultural reasons, not scientific reasons, that will not be done in the foreseeable future in the U.S."

Steere is a little more hopeful.
The man who first connected the mysterious affliction to the ticks of Lyme, Conn., back in 1975, has worked on the disease his entire professional life. Losing the human vaccine that he had helped along, he admits, was a major setback. But he doesn't want to assign blame.

"Multiple things happened," Steere says. "What I’d like to see happen now, is that it’s possible to move on. Even make a better vaccine. I think that’s still possible."

Until that day, people are going to have to try to protect themselves.
Long pants. Insecticides. Body inspections.
People are going to have to keep living with Lyme.
Lyme Disease is mentioned in these threads:
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... hilit=lyme
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... hilit=lyme
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Lyme Disease Vaccination

Post by Josh »

Not for a lack of trying:
In April 2002, GSK announced that even with the incidence of Lyme disease continuing to rise, sales for LYMErix declined from about 1.5 million doses in 1999 to a projected 10,000 doses in 2002. Although studies conducted by FDA failed to reveal that any reported adverse events were vaccine-associated, GSK discontinued manufacturing the vaccine (Vaccine 20: 1603, 2002).
New FDA-approved drugs and vaccines cost billions of dollars to develop, and vaccines in particular are expensive to manufacture. With sales plummeting like that, it's no wonder GSK quit trying to get anyone to buy LYMErix. If they'd worked harder to promote sales, I assume the anti-vaccination crowd would be complaining about that.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:Not for a lack of trying:
In April 2002, GSK announced that even with the incidence of Lyme disease continuing to rise, sales for LYMErix declined from about 1.5 million doses in 1999 to a projected 10,000 doses in 2002. Although studies conducted by FDA failed to reveal that any reported adverse events were vaccine-associated, GSK discontinued manufacturing the vaccine (Vaccine 20: 1603, 2002).
New FDA-approved drugs and vaccines cost billions of dollars to develop, and vaccines in particular are expensive to manufacture. With sales plummeting like that, it's no wonder GSK quit trying to get anyone to buy LYMErix. If they'd worked harder to promote sales, I assume the anti-vaccination crowd would be complaining about that.
Interesting in the OP link was that some people ask their veterinary doctors to inject them with the dog vaccine! .. and, this, about involving state government:
.. With little to no interest from drug companies, some people want government to step in — even state government.

Earlier this month, at a hearing of the new Massachusetts Lyme Disease Commission, veterinarian Sam Telford suggested the Bay State license GlaxoSmithKline’s FDA-approved vaccine. ..
0 x

UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

temporal1 wrote:
Interesting in the OP link was that some people ask their veterinary doctors to inject them with the dog vaccine! .. and, this, about involving state government:
.. With little to no interest from drug companies, some people want government to step in — even state government.

Earlier this month, at a hearing of the new Massachusetts Lyme Disease Commission, veterinarian Sam Telford suggested the Bay State license GlaxoSmithKline’s FDA-approved vaccine. ..
Just an aside, the CDC has the authority to authorize the use of veterinary drugs in humans, on a non-routine basis, if there is no appropriate treatment. As far as I know, this has mostly been used for Anthelmintics, as there is no US approved treatment for many of these issues.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

2018:
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 am
temporal1 wrote:

:arrow: Just an aside, the CDC has the authority to authorize the use of veterinary drugs in humans, on a non-routine basis, if there is no appropriate treatment.

As far as I know, this has mostly been used for Anthelmintics, as there is no US approved treatment for many of these issues.
J.M.
hmm. now 2021.
0 x

UNKNOWN