In the Garden

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: In the Garden

Post by Robert »

Some things have not come up yet. May not make it, but enough is growing just fine. Some I think we needed to get started before planting in the garden. Chickens and ducks in the background.

2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:02 pm Some things have not come up yet. May not make it, but enough is growing just fine. Some I think we needed to get started before planting in the garden. Chickens and ducks in the background.

Looks nice. Is that weed blocking fabric? I would hazard a guess that Texas gardens start earlier in the year than in more northerly locales. Does it get very hot in the summer there? If it does, are there veg that do well in the heat or do you stop gardening in the heat of the summer and start again in late August? I have conversed with some who live in mid-Texas who do that.

One of the nice benefits of having poultry is that their manure can be used in the garden as fertiliser. We compost and age ours before turning it into the raised beds.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:00 am Is that weed blocking fabric?
Yep. Learned it from some homesteading peoples on YouTube. Used it last year and it really worked well. No weeding required. You cut slits into the fabric where you plant and it blocks the weeds. Last year we used all potted plants. This year, I used a lot of seeds. I have had to help some of the sprouts through the slits, but once through, they can do the rest. This keeps the nutrients for what is planted instead of feeding weeds too. Makes the garden grown much better. Water goes right though the weed block too. There are a few I should have seeded first then transplanted, but I wanted to see what would work this way.

The garden is in partial shade to cut down some of the Texas heat. We should be able to keep it growing well into October. Some into November here I hope.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i noticed some local nurseries using a very nice quality 20-year woven landscape fabric in their greenhouses, and in different places.
One nursery sells it by the foot. It’s really nice to work with, it’s substantial, but light, it can be walked on, mulch can go on top.
(i can’t tell if this is what Robert has in his picture.)

It lets rain/water go right through.

One brand below, prices seem to vary. Usually 3-4’. Home Depot has a 6’ wide product.

Dewitt Company
(Brand Rating: 4.6/5)
3 ft. x 250 ft. 4.1 oz. 20-Year Landscape Fabric Home and Pro Weed Barrier
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dewitt-Comp ... /311741288

Another garden help i love are SOAKER HOSES (seeping, or drip) irrigation.
A small amount of water goes directly to the base of plants where needed. It saves evaporation.

There are lots of types, some systems are kinda complex, they look nifty, but, for my needs, simple+cheap works great.
If i lived in the south or west, i believe i’d want them.

i recall Jess77 describing her Texas gardening adventures! Even here in the midwest, the summer sun wants to KILL!!
Winds cause havoc 12 months.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:02 pm Some things have not come up yet. May not make it, but enough is growing just fine. Some I think we needed to get started before planting in the garden. Chickens and ducks in the background.

One farm i used to drive by had a good-sized plot like yours, they planted all lavender.
The bees must have loved it.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:25 am
MaxPC wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:00 am Is that weed blocking fabric?
Yep. Learned it from some homesteading peoples on YouTube. Used it last year and it really worked well. No weeding required. You cut slits into the fabric where you plant and it blocks the weeds. Last year we used all potted plants. This year, I used a lot of seeds. I have had to help some of the sprouts through the slits, but once through, they can do the rest. This keeps the nutrients for what is planted instead of feeding weeds too. Makes the garden grown much better. Water goes right though the weed block too. There are a few I should have seeded first then transplanted, but I wanted to see what would work this way.

The garden is in partial shade to cut down some of the Texas heat. We should be able to keep it growing well into October. Some into November here I hope.
Nicely done. Our son built raised beds, waist high for us. Our age makes it difficult to bend over for long stretches. We have Swiss chard started in the planters, and various seeds started in the cups for transplant later.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Garden is growing well and ducks are in the pond.

2 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:51 pm Garden is growing well and ducks are in the pond.

Are the ducks for meat or just for eggs? Your garden looks quite healthy.

I think that next year I will try one of those black tomatoes that seems to be a favorite.
Black Beauty Tomato
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

MaxPC wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:23 pm Are the ducks for meat or just for eggs?
They are more decoration and marginal pets. My 15 year old will catch one and bring it in the house to visit. He always gets the same "Get that duck out of the house!" comment, but a few days later, he is back in with one of them. Now they can fly to get away and he just grabs a chicken and brings it in the house for a visit.

Of course, Elon/Elona is always in the house right now until he can twit on his/her own. He has not declared gender yet, so we are being fluid with names and pronouns. :lol:
1 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:37 am
MaxPC wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:23 pm Are the ducks for meat or just for eggs?
They are more decoration and marginal pets. My 15 year old will catch one and bring it in the house to visit. He always gets the same "Get that duck out of the house!" comment, but a few days later, he is back in with one of them. Now they can fly to get away and he just grabs a chicken and brings it in the house for a visit.

Of course, Elon/Elona is always in the house right now until he can twit on his/her own. He has not declared gender yet, so we are being fluid with names and pronouns. :lol:
:lol: :hi5
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)