In the Garden

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: In the Garden

Post by KingdomBuilder »

OK, so I've been really surprised at how much the information varies among different planting calendar's.

What do you think is the best resource to use as a gardening calendar?
Location specific farmers almanac calendars?
Other publications?

Please give me your sources
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Here is something my neighbor tried once when he was a young boy.
My neighbor was helping his uncle butcher chickens in the winter and his uncle told him that if he planted the chicken legs feet up and stems in the snow, he could grow chickens. My neighbor did as he was told and went into the house. His dad looked out the window to see chicken feet sticking out of the snow. At first he was bewildered but upon hearing the instructions that his son was given by his uncle, the dad got quite a laugh.

So Wade, I bet you could get some interesting comments if you would plant chicken legs in that small garden bed of yours.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote:Here is something my neighbor tried once when he was a young boy.
My neighbor was helping his uncle butcher chickens in the winter and his uncle told him that if he planted the chicken legs feet up and stems in the snow, he could grow chickens. My neighbor did as he was told and went into the house. His dad looked out the window to see chicken feet sticking out of the snow. At first he was bewildered but upon hearing the instructions that his son was given by his uncle, the dad got quite a laugh.

So Wade, I bet you could get some interesting comments if you would plant chicken legs in that small garden bed of yours.
We moved away from that little garden and home four months after that picture.
Now unfortunately where we have being renting the last year and a half we haven't been able to have chickens... The children pray to have them again often... And with over a foot and a half of snow still in the yard here we would have lots of time to plant legs too. :lol:
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:OK, so I've been really surprised at how much the information varies among different planting calendar's.

What do you think is the best resource to use as a gardening calendar?
Location specific farmers almanac calendars?
Other publications?

Please give me your sources
When we had the homestead we'd consult the agricultural extension agent. They track the variations in climate. However one agent told me that most of them use the Old Farmers Almanac because the algorithms the almanac has used for over 200 years are just as accurate and sometimes more accurate than current weather prediction models.

Since that agent's comment I've used the OFA most often and had good results. It's also good for the best fishing dates :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

MaxPC wrote:[When we had the homestead we'd consult the agricultural extension agent. They track the variations in climate. However one agent told me that most of them use the Old Farmers Almanac because the algorithms the almanac has used for over 200 years are just as accurate and sometimes more accurate than current weather prediction models.

Since that agent's comment I've used the OFA most often and had good results. It's also good for the best fishing dates :lol:
My local extension's advice varies so much.. I don't understand..
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

problem is, they don't either!
By the way we have a good two feet of snow on the garden with more snow falling. 3 months to go for us.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
MaxPC wrote:[When we had the homestead we'd consult the agricultural extension agent. They track the variations in climate. However one agent told me that most of them use the Old Farmers Almanac because the algorithms the almanac has used for over 200 years are just as accurate and sometimes more accurate than current weather prediction models.

My local extension's advice varies so much.. I don't understand..
I think your best option is to try the Old Farmers Almanac then. Hardware stores and some groceries have it in the magazine section. It gives planting, frost, and lunar cycle dates for each section of the country.

There's a lot of other good info in it. Some entertaining stories too.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Just a couple blooms this time of year
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Wondering if anyone knows about this new apple variety?

COSMIC CRISP APPLES
https://www.cosmiccrisp.com/the-facts/
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

temporal1 wrote:Wondering if anyone knows about this new apple variety?

COSMIC CRISP APPLES
https://www.cosmiccrisp.com/the-facts/
I understand their flavor is just out of this world! :mrgreen:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth