In the Garden

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: In the Garden

Post by KingdomBuilder »

MaxPC wrote:What do you think about the suggestion to plant legumes/nitrogen-fixing plants? We liked white and crimson clover with rye grasses as a cover crop. We would sometimes add in hairy vetch if it was available
I will be planting legumes (peas, southern peas, and beans) next season. I absolutely plan to use cover crops as a big part of this garden- buckwheat and rye grass are the plan. However that's little help to me now in the dead of winter..

This soil was just a yard growing grass. Unfertilized. It was a vegetable garden a few decades back.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

lesterb wrote:Try to find a good lawn and garden place. Especially in the spring, some of them have some very knowledgeable staff on board. Or look for a farm seed and fertilizer place with a good agronomist.
Thanks. I've sent out some messages and requests... I'll let y'all know what I find out
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

lesterb wrote: Try to find a good lawn and garden place. Especially in the spring, some of them have some very knowledgeable staff on board. Or look for a farm seed and fertilizer place with a good agro-no-mist.
I used to know a good agronomist, but he either had his head in the clouds or buried in the dirt so that I couldn't figure out which end was up or the head from the tail... :rofl: :lol: :laugh
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Since we are expecting around 5" of rain in the next 5 days, and with it being a balmy 75 degrees, I decided to till in the last bit of manure and some shredded leaves. Went ahead and added some sugar to make sure it'll be nice and broken down.

Been doing some number crunching and will be buying my fertilizers tomorrow. Soybean meal, alfalfa meal, and some dried molasses.

First planting's less than a month away! :D

Anyone have any big plans for their gardens this year?
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Since we are expecting around 5" of rain in the next 5 days, and with it being a balmy 75 degrees, I decided to till in the last bit of manure and some shredded leaves. Went ahead and added some sugar to make sure it'll be nice and broken down.

Been doing some number crunching and will be buying my fertilizers tomorrow. Soybean meal, alfalfa meal, and some dried molasses.

We only dream of gardens this time of the year here in MN. Ours is still 4 months away yet.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

gcdonner wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Since we are expecting around 5" of rain in the next 5 days, and with it being a balmy 75 degrees, I decided to till in the last bit of manure and some shredded leaves. Went ahead and added some sugar to make sure it'll be nice and broken down.

We only dream of gardens this time of the year here in MN. Ours is still 4 months away yet.
5 months...
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Here is a picture of our garden May 22nd 2013 in BC West Kootenays:
2013_8 133.JPG
2013_8 133.JPG (657.53 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
You can even see some of the plants coming up with snow on them.

Some how all the plants survived... :D
Attachments
2013_8 144.JPG
2013_8 144.JPG (388.14 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Oh wow! By May 22nd I've direct sowed squash and cucumbers!
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Finished up the garden fence and sent off another soil test for where the blackberries will be.
20 new plants going in the ground in March ;)
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Got a new tiller today ( my old one died this week :cry: ); put it to use by tilling up the early-spring portion of the garden. Rest of the day was spent making my rows (raised 4-6" from the walkways), blending fertilizer ( math.. eek!), and planting peas and spinach.

Rest of the this week will consist of making my row for carrots, fertilizing it, then tilling up the new blackberry patch. May start prepping the ground for my wildflower area.

As I planted what seemed like one million pea seed, I thought of the parable of the sower. Always been one of the most intriguing parables to me. My mind wandered to the thought that every seed planted doesn't sprout; then many that do will not yield fruit. I think this is crucial to remember in our witness.

Hopefully this thread will pick up when you snowbirds thaw out a bit; till then, it's just me!
0 x