In the Garden

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: In the Garden

Post by RZehr »

With our intense heat, our garden is much ahead of schedule. With the exception of tomatoes. I hear that tomatoes like sunshine to ripen. We've had plenty of smoke, so maybe that explains the tomato problem.

Typical Big Tomato move with their wildfires. Trying to keep the little guys down, trying to force us to stop growing our own tomatoes and forfeit our food independence and become their serfs.
1 x
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

Our garden is doing okay. The green beans did well, and are now reblooming. The potatoes are dying back and there aren't many potatoes per stalk, neither are they very big. The sweet potato vines are growing very nice, so hopefully the potatoes are growing just as good. The zucchini is wilting away. Tomatoes are rather slow to ripen and so often they start to rot before they get completely ripe. The bugs ate the cabbage, cauliflower & broccoli. Watermelons are growing. Pepper plants are nice and big. Beets were very small.
2 x
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

Digging sweet potatoes - they have done very well! Weighed one - 4 lbs.
3 x
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

Goats for SALE!!!

Yesterday the kids discovered the fence isn't shocking like it should and have been escaping the pasture and eating my strawberry plants. Today we left them penned in the barn.... so they pushed through the wire covering the window and escaped again!

Kids for sale - 2 of them!! Make an offer!
3 x
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

You might want to come up with a better sales pitch~ :D
1 x
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

They are really, really good at eating weeds and briar bushes! They cleaned up lots of wooded area for us.

You just need better fence builders than our children.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

violet wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:16 pm You might want to come up with a better sales pitch~ :D

one of the first topics i found on MD was about not referring to children as “kids.” :D
i found it interesting.

i decided i favored (what i feel) is more respect for children by referring to them as “children, students, youngsters,” etc.

Then, my grdaughter entered public school, where students were often referred to as “kiddos.” :-|
ugh. i’m sorry. i cringe. not an end of the world thing. just not preferred. :)

For me, it seems more respectful to avoid slang. And, today’s poor children are in need of more respect.
It’s subjective. People have their preferences. i enjoyed reading about it from the mostly CM view at the time.
It was new to me then.

There are articles written about unpopular words/phrases. i can’t get the link to work. “Kiddos” often falls on the lists. :mrgreen:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

Got the last of the sweet potatoes out of the garden today.

Also picked a half basket of tomatoes. There are still some green ones hanging on.

Have half a basket of keiffer pears waiting to be made into jelly.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Yesterday I harvested 6 bushels of winter squash--mostly butternut. That, I estimate, is about 20% or 25% of what we have.

It's been very dry and the sweet potato yield is disappointing. It's hard digging and easy to damage the sweet potatoes. We'll still get a few hundred pounds, but nothing like I was hoping for.

Our late planting of green beans is now coming on strong.

Our tomatoes all have blight, but are still producing--just slower than they had been. That's fine with me.

Peppers are producing well. Hungarian wax are coming on strong. We're getting lots of cayennes and jalapeños. The lemon drop peppers are finally ripening. A good number of habaneros have ripened. The ultra-hot ghost, reaper, and scorpion have just produced a few ripe peppers each--but a few go a long way.
1 x
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

One of the boys picked the habanero peppers today. He's been bringing in cayenne peppers also. I found a hot sauce recipe for him to try with his hot peppers. I'm not a fan of hot peppers!
0 x