Ritalin / Methylphenidate

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738590/

Thoughts? Experiences? (regarding any of this type of drug, there are different names)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Ritalin / Methylphenidate

Post by Soloist »

From personal experience I'm terribly nervous about any mind altering drug but I wouldn't say they don't have uses.

Any pain med technically alters the brain and I've heard of rare cases were people go crazy taking otc pain meds.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
hissyspit01
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by hissyspit01 »

My family has 4 generations of ADHD adults, both men and women. I think many people are confused by the fact that stimulants actually help those that are hyperactive. I suggest that if you suspect a child might be ADHD or ADD, before you put them on something like Ritalin, try something like NoDoz tablets, which are simply caffeine and see if it helps any at all. Ritalin like any drug, has side effects. However, there are times when one has to trust to God and go with the meds for the sake of the child or the adult. Life can be severely trying for those who are struggling to fit into a room that is not made for us. But more so, if there is going to be medication given, make sure that counseling is given too. Those who are different, even small children, are keenly aware we are different. It's much easier when we understand why we are the way we are and learn to accept our shortcomings. God didn't make a mistake when He made us...All God's children got a place in the choir..some just swing a bit higher and land running a bit faster lol! God bless and peace...I can write volumes on this stuff.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

A cup of coffee seems like an even more natural choice than a NoDoz...
0 x
karpos
Affiliation: beachy

Post by karpos »

temporal1 wrote:Ritalin / Methylphenidate
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738590/

Thoughts? Experiences? (regarding any of this type of drug, there are different names)
Ritalin can actually induce heart problems and chest pain. I know several people that are on it.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

:o
hissyspit01 wrote:My family has 4 generations of ADHD adults, both men and women. I think many people are confused by the fact that stimulants actually help those that are hyperactive. I suggest that if you suspect a child might be ADHD or ADD, before you put them on something like Ritalin, try something like NoDoz tablets, which are simply caffeine and see if it helps any at all. Ritalin like any drug, has side effects. However, there are times when one has to trust to God and go with the meds for the sake of the child or the adult. Life can be severely trying for those who are struggling to fit into a room that is not made for us. But more so, if there is going to be medication given, make sure that counseling is given too. Those who are different, even small children, are keenly aware we are different. It's much easier when we understand why we are the way we are and learn to accept our shortcomings. God didn't make a mistake when He made us...All God's children got a place in the choir..some just swing a bit higher and land running a bit faster lol! God bless and peace...I can write volumes on this stuff.
That's good advice. Try coffee first before the caffeine tablets. If the child still has trouble even after the coffee then perhaps consider pharma solutions. My sister has a son who had ADHD. Instead of pharma which she avoids, she went the coffee route. It took 3 cups of coffee spread throughout the day and she didn't give him any after 5 pm. It worked. Added bonus was the milk she would put in it so he had his RDA of milk and a non-side effect solution.

Eventually he outgrew the ADHD and no, the coffee didn't stunt his growth: he's 6'4".
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i appreciate these responses.
sometimes, i wonder if the child is ok, maybe the adults just don’t recognize normal child behavior?
the child is ok, work on yourself? :?
0 x

UNKNOWN
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

I have used Ritalin on and off for 25 years, ever since my daughter was diagnosed with ADD and I recognized a lot of the same traits in myself. I have found it effective for dealing with distractions (it seems to inhibit the "Squirrel!" reflex) :) and the bonus for those around me is that it helps me to be more attentive to them. With Ritalin it feels noticeably easier and more natural for me to make eye contact, which I always had trouble with.

It is medically a stimulant, but for me it seems to have the opposite effect which really is the whole point for using it. There is no noticeable stimulation. Its chief danger I think is when it's used recreationally by non ADD users and then it really does make them race.

There has been a trend of suspicion against Ritalin and a search by many for any and every alternative. My daughter chose Cylert because it was "not Ritalin" and it took her in a really bad way. Afterward we learned that some people had died of liver failure from taking it. It's fine to try natural remedies, but if you're going to use a pharmaceutical, Ritalin is probably the safest and most tested thing there is.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

haithabu wrote:I have used Ritalin on and off for 25 years, ever since my daughter was diagnosed with ADD and I recognized a lot of the same traits in myself. I have found it effective for dealing with distractions (it seems to inhibit the "Squirrel!" reflex) :) and the bonus for those around me is that it helps me to be more attentive to them. With Ritalin it feels noticeably easier and more natural for me to make eye contact, which I always had trouble with.

It is medically a stimulant, but for me it seems to have the opposite effect which really is the whole point for using it. There is no noticeable stimulation. Its chief danger I think is when it's used recreationally by non ADD users and then it really does make them race.

There has been a trend of suspicion against Ritalin and a search by many for any and every alternative. My daughter chose Cylert because it was "not Ritalin" and it took her in a really bad way. Afterward we learned that some people had died of liver failure from taking it. It's fine to try natural remedies, but if you're going to use a pharmaceutical, Ritalin is probably the safest and most tested thing there is.
Cylert was removed from marketing due to liver toxicity. It is no longer available in the US.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

haithabu wrote:I have used Ritalin on and off for 25 years, ever since my daughter was diagnosed with ADD and I recognized a lot of the same traits in myself. I have found it effective for dealing with distractions (it seems to inhibit the "Squirrel!" reflex) :) and the bonus for those around me is that it helps me to be more attentive to them. With Ritalin it feels noticeably easier and more natural for me to make eye contact, which I always had trouble with.

so surprised to read this.
it amazes how a person can read+read from someone, yet, “be in the dark” about the full picture.
recently, a forum member asked for prayers for depression .. yet, before this request, no indication of the inward struggle.

your posts do not hint of ADD, or any sort of challenge. :)
“squirrel?” in you?! :shock: :lol:

humans are strangely complex beings.
0 x

UNKNOWN