What book are you reading?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Benedict Arnold's Navy
0 x
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

"To Kill a Mockingbird" along with "Scout, Atticus and Boo, A Celebration of Fifty Years of To Kill a Mockingbird"
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Martin, I read To Kill a Mockingbird when it was first published :shock: Feeling my age. :o

Good one, Wade :rofl:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

*Becoming Amish* by Jeff Smith. This is an excellent book about an upper-middle class couple in Michigan and their long-standing involvement with the Old Order Amish.

I have read many books and articles on Amish topics, but I gained some new insights from this book.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Wade wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Bercot's Common Sense: A New Approach to Understanding Scripture.
Just finished this now too. This is, I believe, is a helpful book. I am thinking better of Bercot's books now and look forward to reading more.

Common Sense helped me realize he is more focused on a particular audience. And since I was raised without being taught about scripture or God I realized I wasn't really part of his audience. Not that the unchurched don't come without biases but preconceived notions can be close to none on what scripture is saying when you have never heard it.
I believe this will be helpful in relating to those raised with religious biases. (Not to imply it is better to be raised without God at all...!)

When I finished reading it, I looked at my wife and said, "I am finished with Common Sense." :shock: She gave me a strange look and laughed... :lol:

Now started reading: Will the Real Heretics Please Stand up.
Having read other of his books first, I was disappointed with "Common Sense", which seemed to lack some of that in it's conception and expression. You will like, "Will the real heretics please stand up", I think.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Isaiah.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote:Isaiah.
Which one? Are you aware that most scholars now agree that it is actually a composition of 3 different authors in 3 different time periods???
I dare say you didn't see that one coming when you made your comment... :mrgreen:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
Which one? Are you aware that most scholars now agree that it is actually a composition of 3 different authors in 3 different time periods???
I dare say you didn't see that one coming when you made your comment... :mrgreen:
I heard the latest scholarship puts this theory into doubt.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
I heard the latest scholarship puts this theory into doubt.
So what is the "latest scholarship" consensus?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

gcdonner wrote:
No, I didn't expect that on this discussion board. (So far, I am not convinced, so I'm taking about the complete book.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.