What book are you reading?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Signtist »

temporal1 wrote:
Signtist wrote:Indeed! And it's worth every bit of the $29.99 my boss paid for it!
evidence is, it can be purchased for 'way less. but, i get it. :)
$13.99 USD plus shipping & handling plus 35% exchange kinda puts you in the ballpark
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

1. Fight by Preston Sprinkle
2. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
3. All Aboard With E. M. Frimbo, World's Greatest Railroad Buff, by Rogers E. M. Whitaker
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

ohio jones wrote:1. Fight by Preston Sprinkle
3. All Aboard With E. M. Frimbo, World's Greatest Railroad Buff, by Rogers E. M. Whitaker
Railroad buff? Was it for full scale trains or model railroading? I have a fairly large layout in my basement...and the real things go by my house many times a day. A railroading fans heaven. There is one going by even as I type this response.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

gcdonner wrote:
Railroad buff? Was it for full scale trains or model railroading? I have a fairly large layout in my basement...and the real things go by my house many times a day. A railroading fans heaven. There is one going by even as I type this response.
Most of his 2,748,674.23 miles were on passenger trains, mostly on weekends and vacations. The book is a collection of columns from the New Yorker magazine with stories of his more unusual journeys all over the world.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ohio jones wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Most of his 2,748,674.23 miles were on passenger trains, mostly on weekends and vacations. The book is a collection of columns from the New Yorker magazine with stories of his more unusual journeys all over the world.
I'll have to see if I can resource it from our library system. Thanks OJ!
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

My wife gave me the book "Unconditional Surrender" by Pablo Yoder. This is a book about Pete Lewis.
I sat down after work and read it straight thru. Got to bed about 11:30. :D I know pretty much all of the Oregon people and Oregon places that are mentioned in the book, so I found it especially interesting.
I know Pete and have really been in inspired by his life, even though I've not been close to him.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

gcdonner wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Railroad buff? Was it for full scale trains or model railroading? I have a fairly large layout in my basement...and the real things go by my house many times a day. A railroading fans heaven. There is one going by even as I type this response.
I'll have to see if I can resource it from our library system. Thanks OJ!
Hey, OJ, I am about 2/3 through the book now. Quite interesting reading, though I almost took it back to the library after the first chapter. Even for a railroad buff like me, it would have been too much detail if the whole book was like that, but now I understand the reason for it as an introduction.
Thanks for the recommendation.
0 x
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

The Earth Moved, on the remarkable achievements of earthworms by Amy Stewart. There is a giant, flower scented worm called the Palouse worm Driloleirus americanus that is native to Oregon and Washington. It hasn't been seen, however, for over twenty years. If you live in Oregon or Washington and are digging in the garden, report a pinkish white, two foot or longer, lily-scented earthworm covered in milky white mucus to the game warden.

Also reading Building on the Gospel Foundation, The Mennonites of Franklin County, Pennsylvania and Washington County, Maryland, 1730-1970 by Edsel Burdge and Samuel Horst.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Revelation - Four views - A parallel commentary

Before Jerusalem Fell

The One Year Christian History
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Bercot's Common Sense: A New Approach to Understanding Scripture.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God