What book are you reading?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Neto wrote:Isaiah.
Which one? Are you aware that most scholars now agree that it is actually a composition of 3 different authors in 3 different time periods???
I dare say you didn't see that one coming when you made your comment... :mrgreen:
No, I didn't expect that on this discussion board. (So far, I am not convinced, so I'm taking(sic) about the complete book.)
I'm not sure I am convinced either, if it is any consolation.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

gcdonner wrote:
Neto wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Which one? Are you aware that most scholars now agree that it is actually a composition of 3 different authors in 3 different time periods???
I dare say you didn't see that one coming when you made your comment... :mrgreen:
No, I didn't expect that on this discussion board. (So far, I am not convinced, so I'm taking(sic) about the complete book.)
Sorry, I was short on that letter that comes between 'k' and 'm', and so I used it for 'comp|ete'. I see you saved what was possib|y the only one you had for the word 'conso|ation'. Unfortunate|y I didn't think of this substitution unti| now. (Sorry, I sti|| don't have any avai|abe.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Neto wrote:
Sorry, I was short on that letter that comes between 'k' and 'm', and so I used it for 'comp|ete'. I see you saved what was possib|y the only one you had for the word 'conso|ation'. Unfortunate|y I didn't think of this substitution unti| now. (Sorry, I sti|| don't have any avai|abe.)
:laugh
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:
Wade wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Bercot's Common Sense: A New Approach to Understanding Scripture.
Just finished this now too. This is, I believe, is a helpful book. I am thinking better of Bercot's books now and look forward to reading more.

Common Sense helped me realize he is more focused on a particular audience. And since I was raised without being taught about scripture or God I realized I wasn't really part of his audience. Not that the unchurched don't come without biases but preconceived notions can be close to none on what scripture is saying when you have never heard it.
I believe this will be helpful in relating to those raised with religious biases. (Not to imply it is better to be raised without God at all...!)

When I finished reading it, I looked at my wife and said, "I am finished with Common Sense." :shock: She gave me a strange look and laughed... :lol:

Now started reading: Will the Real Heretics Please Stand up.
Having read other of his books first, I was disappointed with "Common Sense", which seemed to lack some of that in it's conception and expression. You will like, "Will the real heretics please stand up", I think.
That one is best read standing up.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I just finished reading Protecting Their Purity. It is a compilation of different writers from the Keepers At Home magazine.
I liked it.
I recommend it for anyone who has any children from age 1 to preteen at home. It is geared especially for mothers, but its good for Dads to read. It's not a long book, about 140ish? pages so you can read it in one evening.
Easy to read, very relateable for large plain families.
Its encouraging Mothers to be on guard for sexual abuse, and gives accounts and also gives good tips on what to do.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:I just finished reading Protecting Their Purity. It is a compilation of different writers from the Keepers At Home magazine.
I liked it.
I recommend it for anyone who has any children from age 1 to preteen at home. It is geared especially for mothers, but its good for Dads to read. It's not a long book, about 140ish? pages so you can read it in one evening.
Easy to read, very relateable for large plain families.
Its encouraging Mothers to be on guard for sexual abuse, and gives accounts and also gives good tips on what to do.
I just found it at Milestone's. Looks like an excellent resource :D
Here's the link to it.
https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/14-676/
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The Politics of Jesus by John Howard Yoder
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

A Vision of Kingdom Christianity
Finding the Big Picture of God's Design for His People
By David Robertson

Just 49 pages in but so far the tone of humility in this book and the view of God is reviving, humbling, sobering, challenging and encouraging.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

This morning I finally finished reading “Church Matters”, by Gary Miller. Very thought provoking for Plain Mennonites in America.
I recommend it. I may give it to some folks as a gift.

Last night I read “Shaped By The Land”, by D. “Bing” Bingham who lives in my county. This is a collection of true stories from rural American West, taken place primarily in Oregon. Met the author in town and bought the book as a gift for someone.
0 x