What book are you reading?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: What book are you reading?

Post by Neto »

Has anyone read the book The Anatomy of a Hybrid by Leonard Verduin? (This author was the translator for the Dutch to English translation of The Complete Writings of Menno Simons.)

Anyway, if you have read it (or even just started it, like me), what are your thoughts or reactions?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Neto wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:24 pm Has anyone read the book The Anatomy of a Hybrid by Leonard Verduin? (This author was the translator for the Dutch to English translation of The Complete Writings of Menno Simons.)

Anyway, if you have read it (or even just started it, like me), what are your thoughts or reactions?
I read it several years ago. I don't remember much, except that my overall impression was positive in spite of questionable assumptions on Verduin's part in instances where the historical record is lacking.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:24 pm Has anyone read the book The Anatomy of a Hybrid by Leonard Verduin? (This author was the translator for the Dutch to English translation of The Complete Writings of Menno Simons.)

I think it's worth reading.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

One of the main ideas he develops is that homogeneous pre-Christian societies, including the OT Law, were based on "preliminary", or "preventative" grace, with no emphasis on personal devotion or prayer. This in contrast to what he terms "subsequent", "progressive", or "redemptive" grace, where a personal relationship with God is in focus. Then he goes on to say that beginning with the NT era, the State takes on this character of "preventative grace", leaving the personal "redemptive grace" to the Church. I don't have too much of a problem with the first part, as it is easily seen that secular law is basically focused on preventing evil, not so much with espousing any sense of morality. The part at which I chafe is the idea that there was no personal devotion or relationship in focus in God's objectives shown in the OT period. I think that the events at the "Mountain of God" after the deliverance from Egypt show that God wanted a personal relationship with each of the individuals who made up the "Children or People of God" - the newly born "nation" of Israel. I would also say that the instructions involved in the Passover observance is also a plea for personal devotion. (His whole argument in respect to the OT & the State being on some sort of equal ground seems to me to be a way of "legitimizing" the Christian's involvement in the affairs of the State.)

I might be opening a can of worms here that I don't have time to deal with - no time to chase down all of these worms after I let them out of the can. And I've only read up to around page 35 in the book, so I don't yet have the benefit of having heard his whole argument, or having seen where he's actually going with all of this.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

'Walking In The Spirit' by A.B. Simpson. Purchased on-line, reading and re-reading this book to allow for transformation of my understandings of the role of the Holy Spirit in my life and seeking more of His guidance. Recommend to any believer to study the difference in having the Holy Spirit versus walking in the Holy Spirit. Kingdom living is in the walk with the Spirit.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am 'Walking In The Spirit' by A.B. Simpson. Purchased on-line, reading and re-reading this book to allow for transformation of my understandings of the role of the Holy Spirit in my life and seeking more of His guidance. Recommend to any believer to study the difference in having the Holy Spirit versus walking in the Holy Spirit. Kingdom living is in the walk with the Spirit.
Have you read "The Holy Spirit, or Power from on High" by the same author? You might also find "The Ministry of the Spirit" by AJ Gordon helpful. The latter is probably not in print anymore.
Have you read the account of Azuza Street by Frank Bartelman?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

I have just started reading, "When Jerusalem Fell" by Kenneth Gentry. An exhaustive study of the dating of the book of Revelation.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

gcdonner wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:51 am
Sudsy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am 'Walking In The Spirit' by A.B. Simpson. Purchased on-line, reading and re-reading this book to allow for transformation of my understandings of the role of the Holy Spirit in my life and seeking more of His guidance. Recommend to any believer to study the difference in having the Holy Spirit versus walking in the Holy Spirit. Kingdom living is in the walk with the Spirit.
Have you read "The Holy Spirit, or Power from on High" by the same author? You might also find "The Ministry of the Spirit" by AJ Gordon helpful. The latter is probably not in print anymore.
Have you read the account of Azuza Street by Frank Bartelman?
No, I haven't read those books. Thanks for sharing. I will look into getting a copy.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Finished reading Women Talking, by Miriam Toews.
And In The Name Of Missions, by Doeuridy Cadet.
I recommend reading these two books back-to-back, whenever you are tired of feeling good about being a conservative Mennonite.

Recently I finished read The Male Brain, by Louann Brizendine. I learned how the male brain is being formed in the womb, and how hormones effect and change it our brains constantly throughout our lives.

Also, read The Boats of Cherbourg, by Abraham Rabinovich. Fascinating true tale about how in 1969, the Israeli military “stole” five newly built patrol boats out of the Cherbourg harbor in France.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

The Secret of the Strength by Peter Hoover
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown