Guns, violence, heart problems, rich+poor

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Guns, violence, heart problems, rich+poor

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Media hype (if it bleeds, it leads) is absolutely a problem and I agree that those directly connected via family relationship or other relationships should avoid the media in their time of shock and grief as the Amish did at Nickel Mines. Alas, not all seem to have this wisdom.
those traumatized, in a state of shock, should be protected from exploitation, not paraded around in public view - whether gun violence, house fires, natural disasters .. it’s inhumane.

not enforced by human law, by essential human decency.
morbid curiosity of onlookers is not worth it.

strange how the simple words, “should be protected,” are now oft-presumed to be a demand for crafting more human law. it has not always been the case.
For some reason this brought to mind the tragedy of Princess Diana when they were being chased by the paparazzi just before the crash. The media causes deaths too and without the use of guns. It's safe to say that the media won't call for restrictions or "reporter control".
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:those traumatized, in a state of shock, should be protected from exploitation, not paraded around in public view - whether gun violence, house fires, natural disasters .. it’s inhumane.
Surely the high school students at Parkland have a right to speak out. It would be inhumane to tell them they must shut up because we don't want to hear it.

The school shooting wasn't media hype. The blood was real. The deaths were real.

Let's listen to them.

[video][/video]
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:those traumatized, in a state of shock, should be protected from exploitation, not paraded around in public view - whether gun violence, house fires, natural disasters .. it’s inhumane.
Surely the high school students at Parkland have a right to speak out. It would be inhumane to tell them they must shut up because we don't want to hear it.

The school shooting wasn't media hype. The blood was real. The deaths were real.
again, this is no reference to any particular incident, nor do i suggest there is no right to speak out.

seriously, do you have a challenge with reading comprehension?
lots of members have asked you about either not reading their posts, or not understanding their point(s.) over years. not just on this forum.

there is no shame in having personal challenges, we all have them.
i’m not good with math. i get by.
reading comprehension (seems) to be a problem for you.
Last edited by temporal1 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:

Let's listen to them.

[video][/video]
please ask mods to remove this video. i do not appreciate your implications in this thread.
thank you.
i have viewed the children speaking elsewhere. only those rejecting all forms of media would have not had ample opp to view. those folks would not see this thread.
Last edited by temporal1 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i have no fantasy this thread will ever make any sense.
how to make sense out of the senseless. not likely to happen.

on another gun thread, i just inadvertantly wrote,
“the affluent criminally insane neighborhood mass murderers.”

after writing, i thought, that’s kind of “it,” to describe the one gun violence problem.
these people are around, they are known, typically by multiples of people, including professionals, including law enforcement ..

yet. they are clever enough to walk freely while they craft horrific detailed plans, which include gathering supplies. people know they are lunatics, possibly dangerous. they know they are known! they also know how to skirt accountability until they determine the time+place to act out their crimes.

criminally insane, is still criminal. it does not equate to “stupid.”
stupid gets caught.

clever outwits family, police, doctors, schools ..
the general population of “rule followers” are predictable, they can be outdone.

affluence allows them to play games with society, and, readily acquire whatever supplies they choose to harm others. guns, crock pots, knives, chemicals, et al.
but, poor clever ones manage, too.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:

again, this is no reference to any particular incident, nor do i suggest there is no right to speak out.

seriously, do you have a challenge with reading comprehension?
lots of members have asked you about either not reading their posts, or not understanding their point(s.) over years. not just on this forum.
Please feel very free to clarify - and please clarify rather than getting offended, that does not help us understand each other. I really think some people use taking offense as a way to avoid direct communication. I did not mean to give offense.

The Parkland school shooting is very much on my mind, and I thought it had triggered this thread and related threads. I gather you don't object to what they are doing?
temporal1 wrote:please ask mods to remove this video. i do not appreciate your implications in this thread. thank you.
i have viewed the children speaking elsewhere.
Why is it important for you to have the video removed?
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

let it go, boot. please.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:let it go, boot. please.
OK, I will let it go. But please do me a favor here and elsewhere - if I didn't understand you, please clarify instead of taking offense. We all have a reading comprehension problem when it comes to other people's posts. People misconstrue what I say all the time, intentionally or unintentionally. It's my responsibility to clarify what I meant. It's also my responsibility to try to understand what the other person is saying. I try, I don't always get it right.

Giving and taking offense makes reasonable discussion difficult. And it makes it a lot harder to understand what the other person is saying.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:let it go, boot. please.
OK, I will let it go.

But please do me a favor here and elsewhere - if I didn't understand you, please clarify instead of taking offense. We all have a reading comprehension problem when it comes to other people's posts. People misconstrue what I say all the time, intentionally or unintentionally. It's my responsibility to clarify what I meant. It's also my responsibility to try to understand what the other person is saying. I try, I don't always get it right.

Giving and taking offense makes reasonable discussion difficult. And it makes it a lot harder to understand what the other person is saying.
Thank you.
Consider your similar words in another thread; other topics, not always your threads:
boot:
Request: could we please avoid discussing how much we love or hate individual politicians or lobbies in this thread? It gets old when that becomes a big part of so many threads, and it makes it a lot harder to discuss the topic of each thread.

I'm much more interested in discussing what might be politically feasible today, given the people who are currently in power.
difference being, when you make requests, others generally respect your request, whether they agree or like it, or not.
respecting requests, even when one is “legally” justified to protest/ignore, is the higher path.
0 x

UNKNOWN