Garbage Pickers

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Garbage Pickers

Post by gcdonner »

temporal1 wrote:i hope nothing bad comes of adding this here. use wisely, fellas. :)
Big money in dumpsters -
http://wjla.com/features/7-on-your-side ... stefulness

i noticed this relevant post from Josh in another thread. :)
Limiting Orthopraxy / Anabaptist Theology / Page 1
Josh wrote:When going dumpster diving I try to avoid bins that have already been raided by my Swartzentruber or Old Older Mennonite brethren—they'll be absolutely picked clean. I'm pretty sure some families are getting a majority of their nutrition from dumpsters behind Aldi, Beuhler's, etc. in Ashland and Wadsworth, particularly in the winter months.
When we lived in PA still I often went dumpster diving behind the local grocery store. It was especially helpful the evening before a holiday as they would empty all their refrigerated deli goods, prepared fruits and bakery items since the store would be closed the next day. However, when they built their new facilities the incorporated enclosed dumpsters so our picking came to a screeching halt from there. When they were moving the big dumpsters were full of good cabinets, hardware etc that wasn't going into the new facility. Not too much diving going on these days for this young fellow...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The guy at they article shared my secret about Michael’s!
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:The guy at they article shared my secret about Michael’s!
I still dive there from time to time.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

I wish garbage pickers refused to talk to the media.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ragpicker wrote:I wish garbage pickers refused to talk to the media.
Why? So you'd have more rags to pick for yourself? :mrgreen:
0 x
Reflecting
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Reflecting »

Around here our tax dollars have been used to build security fences and guard houses for the dumpsters. :shock:
I’ve never done any diving myself, but that seems like the police state gone wild. Only things I can figure out is either there were enough druggies hanging out making it unsafe for people to drop off their trash or else the counties were that worried about getting sued by someone becoming injured while dumpster diving. :cry:
I’d like to think if someone’s trash is another’s treasure, cool. And for those truly in need, don’t deny them their resourcefulness. Mho

Edited: Bootstrap, I hope your op was sufficiently addressed and we are not high jacking your thread too badly. ;)
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

“In San Francisco, Making a Living From Your Billionaire Neighbor’s Trash”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/07/us/t ... rberg.html
.. Trash picking is a profession more often associated with shantytowns and favelas than a city at the doorstep of Silicon Valley.

The Global Alliance of Waste Pickers, a nonprofit research and advocacy organization, counts more than 400 trash picking organizations across the globe, almost all of them in Latin America, Africa and southern Asia.“ ..
george, you can join a global organization. :P
In the U.S., laws vary.
Be cautious. Government does not have much patience with any perceived competition. :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Saw a small electric heater ("milkhouse heater") in the dumpster (behind a hardware store) last week. Brand new, still in the box. The fan blade was bend just enough to hit the shroud, bend it back out, and it's "like new" again.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.