Garbage Pickers

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Garbage Pickers

Post by Hats Off »

silentreader wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I thought dump picking had gone the way of the flatearthers...
Did you go to the one back the sideroad at NW when you were young? I remember going there with somebody but don't remember who. The earth seemed flat back then.
Yes, we did - too often. Found stuff we would have been better off without. Flat to a point - there was a house on the hill overlooking the dump.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

one subcontractor that helped me after my husband died, helped himself to untold “treasures” in my garage and house, as i was moving out, preparing the house to be sold. o.my.goodness.

he was honest. :?
when i found things missing (a new room-sized carpet remnant was hard to miss) .. i simply confronted him about it. he admitted right away he had taken it! ok.
i thought that was the end of it.

nope.
this went on+on.

a contractor-family member recommended him to me.
i spoke to him about it. he could not believe it! he’d never had trouble with him, he had worked at his mother’s home .. i’m certain he thought i was off-my-rocker. (in truth, i wasn’t doing well, i was pretty rattled by everything.)

eventually, i had enough. i asked him to return the key, asked him not to return.
not easy. i didn’t want to. he did pretty good work.

he would not return that key.

i spoke to the contractor again.
this time, i was pretty sure he was going into the house, taking things at night.
like a dripping faucet. all my husband’s tools .. too much to remember.

he left the tool box - empty. :?

again, the contractor thought i had to be exaggerating. he didn’t speak in so many words, but ..

it wasn’t too much longer, the contractor called me! he apologized, promised he would get that key for me right away! ..

turns out, he sent this young man to another woman’s house .. he did the same to her, including withholding her key!

well. less to move. 8-)
he definitely lightened the load. :P

at some point, i spoke with some local relatives of the young man, they almost hung up on me!
when i got them to calm down, i was told they had tried to help him over years, money, work, food, housing, nothing worked. it was hard for them. such a waste. he had so much potential. he could not resist crime.

evidently, he could work just fine, under supervision. turn your back, no.

i was 20 miles away moving into another house.
thankfully, i realized the problem before ever sharing that address!

about a year later, the contractor called to say he heard the young man was in jail out of state.
i think, drugs and theft. sigh.

Wayne’s carpet brought all those memories. :blah: :oops:
i did not call police or make any to-do. i didn’t say anything harsh. i just wanted him to stop.

carry on. :mrgreen:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

temporal1 wrote:one subcontractor that helped me after my husband died, helped himself to untold “treasures” in my garage and house, as i was moving out, preparing the house to be sold. o.my.goodness.

he was honest. :?
when i found things missing (a new room-sized carpet remnant was hard to miss) .. i simply confronted him about it. he admitted right away he had taken it! ok.
i thought that was the end of it.

nope.
this went on+on.

a contractor-family member recommended him to me.
i spoke to him about it. he could not believe it! he’d never had trouble with him, he had worked at his mother’s home .. i’m certain he thought i was off-my-rocker. (in truth, i wasn’t doing well, i was pretty rattled by everything.)

eventually, i had enough. i asked him to return the key, asked him not to return.
not easy. i didn’t want to. he did pretty good work.

he would not return that key.

i spoke to the contractor again.
this time, i was pretty sure he was going into the house, taking things at night.
like a dripping faucet. all my husband’s tools .. too much to remember.

he left the tool box - empty. :?

again, the contractor thought i had to be exaggerating. he didn’t speak in so many words, but ..

it wasn’t too much longer, the contractor called me! he apologized, promised he would get that key for me right away! ..

turns out, he sent this young man to another woman’s house .. he did the same to her, including withholding her key!

well. less to move. 8-)
he definitely lightened the load. :P

at some point, i spoke with some local relatives of the young man, they almost hung up on me!
when i got them to calm down, i was told they had tried to help him over years, money, work, food, housing, nothing worked. it was hard for them. such a waste. he had so much potential. he could not resist crime.

evidently, he could work just fine, under supervision. turn your back, no.

i was 20 miles away moving into another house.
thankfully, i realized the problem before ever sharing that address!

about a year later, the contractor called to say he heard the young man was in jail out of state.
i think, drugs and theft. sigh.

Wayne’s carpet brought all those memories. :blah: :oops:
i did not call police or make any to-do. i didn’t say anything harsh. i just wanted him to stop.

carry on. :mrgreen:
Well, he did "carry on" and on and on, evidently... :dance:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

My house was built in 1951 by a man who owned a contracting company that built schools, hospitals, etc. My house is built of a rather interesting assortment of materials, and I often wonder what projects they came from.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote:My house was built in 1951 by a man who owned a contracting company that built schools, hospitals, etc. My house is built of a rather interesting assortment of materials, and I often wonder what projects they came from.
Waste not, want not...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Dad made his own. Since his knees don't like when he bends too much, this was his solution. That and some rare earth magnets that he has mounted to a stick. Dropped that screw, no problem!

0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Signtist wrote:Dad made his own. Since his knees don't like when he bends too much, this was his solution. That and some rare earth magnets that he has mounted to a stick. Dropped that screw, no problem!

Nicely done! He must have the same brand of knees that I have...
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Torn cartilage that was repaired but never did seem to heal properly. So he works smarter...
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Signtist wrote:Torn cartilage that was repaired but never did seem to heal properly. So he works smarter...
Old age that is just degenerating...I try to work smarter, but many years of being dumb seems to get in the way... :roll:
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i hope nothing bad comes of adding this here. use wisely, fellas. :)
Big money in dumpsters -
http://wjla.com/features/7-on-your-side ... stefulness

i noticed this relevant post from Josh in another thread. :)
Limiting Orthopraxy / Anabaptist Theology / Page 1
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... ter#p13060
Josh wrote:When going dumpster diving I try to avoid bins that have already been raided by my Swartzentruber or Old Older Mennonite brethren—they'll be absolutely picked clean. I'm pretty sure some families are getting a majority of their nutrition from dumpsters behind Aldi, Beuhler's, etc. in Ashland and Wadsworth, particularly in the winter months.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN