Garbage Pickers

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Garbage Pickers

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:I prefer to call it dumpster diving:
Hmmm.... I wonder what word those 3 letters might be the start of?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote:
3 letters? I see 4 on the side of that dumpster I was diving into.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Dumpster diving is illegal in my town. And they publish your name if they catch you.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:
silentreader wrote:
On the inside?

The 4 I see together mean 'far' to me, so that's 3 again.

Or maybe you're saying I'm one letter short of a word?
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Joy wrote:Dumpster diving is illegal in my town. And they publish your name if they catch you.
For George it's Minnesota Takeout, and evidently they take your picture if they catch you.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
silentreader wrote:
On the inside?

The 4 I see together mean 'far' to me, so that's 3 again.

Or maybe you're saying I'm one letter short of a word?
Oops! I was looking at the wrong word, "Dum...my" me... :laugh
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Joy wrote:Dumpster diving is illegal in my town. And they publish your name if they catch you.
I usually get permission before diving and this one was at the site of a Casey's new store build. I got permission and they even would call me to let me know about "good stuff". I got lots of "good stuff" from this cycle of dumpsters.
Most folk around here are happy to have you pull stuff out, since they often pay by the weight and I am lightening the load. I haven't had too many this year so far, but then it has been really cold too!

My partner in crime was taking the pictures for me...my son!
0 x
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

Bootstrap wrote:When I pick up trash along the side of the road, I keep reaching into thorny bushes, bending over in uncomfortable positions, etc., and I can't help but think there's a more efficient way to do this. I've been thinking of getting a garbage picker for the task - something like what you see in the picture below.

What do you think, is this the right tool for the job? Is there a better tool? Does anyone have good experiences with a particular kind of garbage picker?

These are better for light stuff. The ones with the suction cup type ends are better for heavier stuff.

I’m an expert With lots of experience. LOL
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

gcdonner wrote:
I usually get permission before diving and this one was at the site of a Casey's new store build. I got permission and they even would call me to let me know about "good stuff". I got lots of "good stuff" from this cycle of dumpsters.
Most folk around here are happy to have you pull stuff out, since they often pay by the weight and I am lightening the load. I haven't had too many this year so far, but then it has been really cold too!

Our family has a tradition of "dumpster diving" at renovation sites. We always get permission as well. Over the years we've found free windows and doors for the outbuildings and barns. Some decent looking sinks for the house. Plenty of wood trim in good shape. Even material for making furniture and fences. Of course, at my age I'm not as nimble as George there. That's what grandsons are for. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

gcdonner wrote:

I carpeted the second floor of my hay barn with carpeting I "dove" for from the local theater when they were replacing it. It smelled like buttered popcorn up there for a long time.
0 x