Swim lessons, gun safety instructions ..

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Swim lessons, gun safety instructions ..

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Josh wrote:You know, some Anabaptists view swimming for enjoyment about as dimly as you might view having a gun hobby...
Yeah... not sure I can relate with that one.
Mixed swimming is not allowed in most Anabaptist circles, and swimming in the general vicinity of worldly people engaging in mixed swimming is quite dubious.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:
Josh wrote:You know, some Anabaptists view swimming for enjoyment about as dimly as you might view having a gun hobby...
Yeah... not sure I can relate with that one.
Mixed swimming is not allowed in most Anabaptist circles, and swimming in the general vicinity of worldly people engaging in mixed swimming is quite dubious.
i have no problem with that.

i’m glad to witness, my daughter is being cautious with her daughter regarding mixed groups (of all descriptions.) it was not something we thought about formerly. but, many seem to be more conscious of it now, more thoughtful about it.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:Mixed swimming is not allowed in most Anabaptist circles, and swimming in the general vicinity of worldly people engaging in mixed swimming is quite dubious.
I can get on board with no mixed bathing (unless with close family, I'd say), along with avoiding public bathing. Of course, that approach seems to ignore the possibility of some who face temptations of whatever nature presented by the same gender. Solo bathing, anyone? :lol:

Seriously, though- when done appropriately, I find swimming to be one of the most simple and purest joys.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Growing up, we were allowed to swim in the creek and pond out of sight of the opposite gender.
And no swimming on Sunday. Young children were allowed to swim in motel pools only when no one else was using it.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote:Growing up, we were allowed to swim in the creek and pond out of sight of the opposite gender.
And no swimming on Sunday. Young children were allowed to swim in motel pools only when no one else was using it.
there was a little written on MD about swimming. one small discussion was about wearing everyday clothes for swimming, including long sleeves, in summer, in southern states.
this was new thinking for me.

having creeks, ponds, rivers, etc., available for informal family swim time is now hard to come by in Illinois. “No swimming” signs are common. swimming is relegated to public pools or state parks where fees are paid, life guards present. i know of no “swim at your own risk” signs (like i see in other states.) illinois politicians and insurance companies never miss an opp to tax+regulate, or, altogether remove personal freedoms.

when i was young, our father took us on family picnics to different places, swimming holes, etc., to help us learn to swim. he taught us lots of useful outdoor-nature lessons. he taught us early about not leaving so much as a gum wrapper behind .. lots of practical lessons.

our mother was so afraid of water. she patiently prepared lunches and watched nearby with towels and hugs as we came shivering and hungry out of the water. we did not swim in regulated or busy places. usually no one else in the immediate area. that was his way.

we wore swim suits or shorts, always shoes to protect our feet.

i doubt family swimming like that is allowed today.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

An example of why (i believe) gun safety lessons should be as common, as normal, as swim+water safety lessons:
Loaded gun fell out of 6 yr old’s backpack:
http://www.ntd.tv/2018/03/10/loaded-gun ... da-school/

Fact is, there is now such an abundance of firearms, they are bound to show up - “unexpectedly.”
They should be EXPECTED. The time of surprise should be over.

This incident is reported.
By far the majority of times children encounter firearms, it’s not at school, and, NOT REPORTED - unless a death results. Too many deaths result from encounters with “unloaded” guns.

Lesson 1: Informally, by my father at home, i was taught:
Guns should be treated exactly the same, whether thought to be loaded or unloaded.

btw, the rest of my lessons, as a daughter, were: do not touch guns.
i was ok with that.

This case is unnerving.
The gun “dropped” to the floor - it could have fired.
The child did not know it was in his backpack, what if he threw the backpack for some reason?
or other?
Reports are never in full.

Was the teacher trained to know how to handle a firearm, other than to run from it?
Leaving it lying on the floor in a grade school does not sound wise.
Is that what happened? this report is not clear on that.

What a crazy world.
0 x

UNKNOWN