Recreational pursuits enjoyed by Anabaptists?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Recreational pursuits enjoyed by Anabaptists?

Post by Sudsy »

In our area younger Anabaptists are quite into organized hockey, fastball, slow pitch, golf, baseball,soccer and most sports of this sort. These are the main recreational activities of the less conservative Mennonites in our area but not always. I see more with unique dress outfits getting into golfing.

Another big recreational activity of the more prosperous is travel to various parts of the world. We have some very wealthy Mennonites that own big green house operations in our area.

I'm not as familiar with the more conservative groups but the teens like to hang out on Sunday afternoons in selected mall parking lots as their recreation. Boys with boys and gals with gals. Seldom see them mixed.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote:
Swiss Bro wrote:What do you guys think about skateboarding?
The Amish like it. Although it looks like she is on a rip stick which is even more difficult and hard-core.

What kind of Amish is that?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: What kind of Amish is that?
IDK. I just googled "Amish on Skateboards" and lots of images popped up. She's probably from some other conservative Menno group. I'm not one who can identify different AB groups by the nuances of their costume.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Looks Mennonite to me.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

RZehr wrote:Looks Mennonite to me.
Looks like Horse & Buggy Mennonite, as it looks like the dress has print- Amish would only wear solids.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

How about this girl. Is she Amish?

1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote:How about this girl. Is she Amish?

She looks to be Amish from all I've seen- sometimes it's hard to tell between say Horse & Buggy Mennonites, OO Amish, OO Mennonites, & some New Order Amish but her Kapp (covering) looks to be Amish, they all don't wear the same kind but I have seen Amish wearing that kind. I've never seen any Amish in OH on skateboards! Scooters recently in Holmes County OH. Before, I had only seen Amish in PA on skooters. Ours in OH mostly ride bikes if they aren't in buggies. Now Amish drive tractors (some Amish). In our own county, the Swartzentruber Amish won't even ride bikes or scooters.
Wonder where this girl is from?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote:
She looks to be Amish from all I've seen- sometimes it's hard to tell between say Horse & Buggy Mennonites, OO Amish, OO Mennonites, & some New Order Amish but her Kapp (covering) looks to be Amish, they all don't wear the same kind but I have seen Amish wearing that kind. I've never seen any Amish in OH on skateboards! Scooters recently in Holmes County OH. Before, I had only seen Amish in PA on skooters. Ours in OH mostly ride bikes if they aren't in buggies. Now Amish drive tractors (some Amish). In our own county, the Swartzentruber Amish won't even ride bikes or scooters.
The photographer doesn't say. It's from 2014: https://www.artsy.net/artwork/george-gruel-amish-modern
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote:
Valerie wrote:
The photographer doesn't say. It's from 2014: https://www.artsy.net/artwork/george-gruel-amish-modern
By her Kapp, i think shes PA, others from PA could verify, but Amish in PA have that type of Kapp, if, as it looks, is heart shaped. And they wear black aprons
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I think those may ne motorized skateboards? Electric? I've only seen those in California so far. Our Amish in Holmes county Ohio are really into electric bikes these days. There's electric bike shops all over Holmes county owned by Amish. I'm glad for them in that it's so hilly there that it's enabled them to not only enjoy riding their bikes but they probably don't have to hire drivers near as much to go to work and things like that. They don't have to take a horse and buggy to work and they don't have to hire a driver. Their electric bikes and the range that they have as well as speed that they go it's been a nice option for them I believe
0 x