"The little kid to the North" - Canadian Politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Post by lesterb »

temporal1 wrote: i would enjoy a discussion on PM Trudeau.
Most of us don't pay a lot of attention to Mr Trudeau. I suppose Appleman does more than any of the rest of us. But, just to illustrate, I have Trump listed on my news feed, but not Trudeau. Canadian politics is a lot "lamer" than American politics. And a lot more liberal as well, in some ways.
0 x
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

"The little kid to the North" - Canadian Politics

Post by haithabu »

lesterb wrote:
Most of us don't pay a lot of attention to Mr Trudeau. I suppose Appleman does more than any of the rest of us. But, just to illustrate, I have Trump listed on my news feed, but not Trudeau. Canadian politics is a lot "lamer" than American politics. And a lot more liberal as well, in some ways.

Here is my take on Trudeau's success in the last election:

- Prime Minister Harper ran for CEO of Canada.
- Justin Trudeau ran for class president.
- The Canadian voters decided that the election was for the latter position.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: "The little kid to the North" - Canadian Politics

Post by ohio jones »

lesterb wrote:
Americans pay even less attention to Canadian politics, though I vaguely remember hearing that P. M. Trudeau (Pierre, isn't it?) died a while back and the current guy is Mulroney or somebody.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

ohio jones wrote:
lesterb wrote:
Americans pay even less attention to Canadian politics, though I vaguely remember hearing that P. M. Trudeau (Pierre, isn't it?) died a while back and the current guy is Mulroney or somebody.
:lol:

Pierre Elliot Trudeau [PET] was the father of the present Prime Minister. He is dead, like you said. Mulroney is long gone, but not technically dead. See this site for a complete listing. I can remember back to Lester Pearson, somewhat. A few of the others since that I had forgotten. But Mulroney, Chretien, and Harper stand out to me as some of our better ones. PE Trudeau took old fashioned Canadian politics and modernized it. Gave us a charter of rights, gave us the rights to amend our own constitution, and gave us our first long term deficit. Mulroney was the first prime minister after that to run Canada for eight years without spending beyond his means. If Canada had not had a deficit to pay interest on, it would not have had one at the end of his two terms. Harper didn't manage that, but he managed the longest term in office as PM since PE Trudeau. Harper and Mulroney ran the government like a business and it showed. Chretien was a liberal, but good as far as liberals go. Harper was technically a conservative, but in Canada that still means he was at least center of the road, and maybe even further left. We don't have radical right wing parties any more, with the possible exception of parts of Alberta's newly reorganized Wild Rose Party.

Okay, Steve. Carry on... ;)

PS: if you Americans can't handle a candid discussion of Canadian politics, get someone to move all this into a separate thread entitled "The little kid to the North" or something like that...
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

lesterb wrote:Harper was technically a conservative, but in Canada that still means he was at least center of the road, and maybe even further left.
The summer I was 18, some of my friends and I went to a church conference in upstate New York. One of the families agreed that we could take their car, and put me in the driver's seat. On the way home, we stopped at Niagara Falls and then decided to go through Windsor instead of by buffalo. Feeling responsible for a carload of people and about 40 acres of Oldsmobile -- one of the last ones made before "downsizing" entered the automotive lexicon -- I found Highway 401 distressingly narrow compared to the American interstates I was used to.

I've since figured out why that is, of course. In both civil engineering and politics, Canadians build the middle of the road and the left lane, move the stripes over a bit, and soon convince themselves that's all there is or should be. :)
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

ohio jones wrote:
lesterb wrote:
You are right, it is "somebody." Mulroney was followed by Flora McDonald then by the little guy from Shawinigan, Jean Chretien, then by Stephen Harper, and now finally Justin Trudeau. I am not sure now - maybe Paul Martin fit into that sequence as well. Mulroney saw he was about to lose the next election so he retired. In the next election almost his entire cabinet as well as most others in his party were defeated at the polls.
0 x
hillperson
Affiliation: A.M.

Post by hillperson »

lesterb wrote:
Lester your prime minister is pulling some anti Christian stunts you’d better start putting him on your newsfeed so you can stay informed. Its a little frightening.
1 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Hillperson, you are right. Our Liberal Canadian government or maybe specifically our Mr. Trudeau is limiting certain privileges to Canadians who agree with him on controversial issues where conservative Anabaptists or Christians would be on the wrong side. In certain government funding programs (which we probably would not be applying for anyhow) the applicant needs to agree with some very liberal principles or the application is rejected automatically.
1 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

haithabu wrote:
lesterb wrote:

Here is my take on Trudeau's success in the last election:

- Prime Minister Harper ran for CEO of Canada.
- Justin Trudeau ran for class president.
- The Canadian voters decided that the election was for the latter position.
Exactly. Very well said. If I may I will quote that.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

lesterb wrote:
thank you so much for starting this thread. :)
i’ve been traveling, have some reading to catch up on.

“kid?!” :lol:
that’s yet another topic for discussion, eh? :mrgreen:

and, where is appleman? he’s often more present on forum in winter months.
more apple expansion! :shock:

o.wait. there he is. ^^^ :oops:
i am seriously tired.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN