"The little kid to the North" - Canadian Politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: "The little kid to the North" - Canadian Politics

Post by Dan Z »

I think Americans relate to Trudeau Jr. more like they would a Hollywood celebrity than a political leader. They see this suave, young, good-looking dude from up north - and swoon. Sometimes we've got a rather shallow culture down here in that regard. :oops:
1 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Dan Z wrote:I think Americans relate to Trudeau Jr. more like they would a Hollywood celebrity than a political leader. They see this suave, young, good-looking dude from up north - and swoon. Sometimes we've got a rather shallow culture down here in that regard. :oops:
The 49th parallel, or whatever it is, doesn't necessary delineate that kind of culture.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

silentreader wrote:
Dan Z wrote:I think Americans relate to Trudeau Jr. more like they would a Hollywood celebrity than a political leader. They see this suave, young, good-looking dude from up north - and swoon. Sometimes we've got a rather shallow culture down here in that regard. :oops:
The 49th parallel, or whatever it is, doesn't necessary delineate that kind of culture.
he often seems to be wearing ill-fitting clothing. :? either way, i’m sure it’s expensive clothing.
similarly, i often wonder if M Zuckerberg sleeps in his T-shirt.
i read in comments, Canadians wishing they had an Electoral College. many feel a lack of balance in representation.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

temporal1 wrote: i read in comments, Canadians wishing they had an Electoral College. many feel a lack of balance in representation.
Hmm. That's a new one to me.
0 x
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

appleman2006 wrote:
haithabu wrote:
lesterb wrote: Most of us don't pay a lot of attention to Mr Trudeau. I suppose Appleman does more than any of the rest of us. But, just to illustrate, I have Trump listed on my news feed, but not Trudeau. Canadian politics is a lot "lamer" than American politics. And a lot more liberal as well, in some ways.

Here is my take on Trudeau's success in the last election:

- Prime Minister Harper ran for CEO of Canada.
- Justin Trudeau ran for class president.
- The Canadian voters decided that the election was for the latter position.
Exactly. Very well said. If I may I will quote that.

Sure, go ahead.

The underlying truth there is that people vote for what they see as the country's need for the moment. For all his strengths, Harper had a poor bedside manner and many were tired of it. The country was in reasonably good shape and hence there was little felt need for the "Daddy" party and so the election turned into a beauty contest which Trudeau was better equipped to win.
1 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I bet that .01% of people where I live know who Trudeau is... :lol:
Do people in the Northern US keep up with canadian politics more? It looks that way.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

lesterb wrote:
temporal1 wrote: i read in comments, Canadians wishing they had an Electoral College. many feel a lack of balance in representation.
Hmm. That's a new one to me.
i’m not surprised, it would not be hard to miss. certainly not represented in the mainstream.
i presume, very few public general comments i read are from Anabaptists!

one exception was appleman, who once positively commented about our U.S. electoral college.
prior, it had not occured to me that Canada did not have same/similar.

i try to take notes on similarities/differences. so often, differences are overlooked.
it’s interesting to try to compare apples to apples, but, system differences complicate matters.
KingdomBuilder wrote:I bet that .01% of people where I live know who Trudeau is... :lol:
Do people in the Northern US keep up with canadian politics more? It looks that way.
my guess is, your “bet” wouldn’t be far off, no matter U.S. location. sad to say.
people in the north MIGHT know a bit more about Canada’s politics (?) .. possibly to a neglible extent.

i don’t put all blame on the general citizenry.
politicians do not want an informed citizenry. they want to win. facts get in the way.
they don’t want “more people voting.” they want “more people voting for them.”
lots of people do not vote, for various reasons.

my perception is, we have lots of Canadians in the U.S., possibly more in the north (?) .. definitely in hollywood, definitely in politics, or government jobs, gov contract jobs, as laws allow.
numbers with dual citizenship. they assimilate, do not make waves, do not wave flags, etc.
some vacation in the south, maybe many (?) .. but many are permanent/semi-permanent in the U.S.
Canadians like it here. for the most part, they don’t talk about it.

this week, i sat next to a (chatty) young Canadian man on a flight home from Seattle.
he shared about travel for work, his home on the east coast, business trips to Vancouver.
he did not mention growing up in Canada until near the end of our flight. i did not ask, but, would guess he has dual citizenship.

we had some chuckles about Montreal.
his view is, Montreal has a very romantic reputation, but, is not romantic, at all! :lol:
he was a bit hesitant, until i shared, i agreed; i first visited Montreal in 1969-ish, then in 2007-ish, i detected no change thataway. it was fun to sense he was relaxed, comfortable to just say what was on his mind. people are (understandably) so guarded nowadays.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

haithabu wrote:Sure, go ahead.
The underlying truth there is that people vote for what they see as the country's need for the moment. For all his strengths, Harper had a poor bedside manner and many were tired of it. The country was in reasonably good shape and hence there was little felt need for the "Daddy" party ..
and so the election turned into a beauty contest which Trudeau was better equipped to win.
one discussion on MD was something about,
“are U.S. presidential elections beauty contests?” ..
it was a valid discussion. must have been sometime after obama’s first election.
no denying, that election had a lot to do with outward appearances.
0 x

UNKNOWN