President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

POLL: What do you think about the Trump presidency so far?

Total votes: 0

PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Re: President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Post by PeterG »

By the way, there's a great deal of sane, carefully moderated yet unflinching criticism of President Trump from publications such as National Review, The American Conservative, and First Things. You don't have to be a liberal to be concerned about President Trump and his influence.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

PeterG wrote:By the way, there's a great deal of sane, carefully moderated yet unflinching criticism of President Trump from publications such as National Review, The American Conservative, and First Things. You don't have to be a liberal to be concerned about President Trump and his influence.
Foreign Policy Magazine had a good article that asked 12 foreign policy veterans of previous Republican administrations to identify one good thing and one bad thing from President Donald Trump’s first year at the helm.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Other countries are beginning to talk about America the same way they used to talk about Putin's Russia. That's not a good thing. This affects our standing in the world. It's not "winning".
There is a difference between liking and respecting. They liked President Obama but I saw little respect for the US during his years of service.

They may not like President Trump, but the world is listening and respecting to what his administration is demanding.
This is something a lot of Republicans seem to believe, according to this Pew Research graph. Democrats tend to believe the opposite, and most of the world seems to agree with the democrats. Here's a picture of how differently the two parties see this, with a graph of world opinion.

Remember all those big deals Donald Trump promised he would make with the rest of the world? They aren't happening. You don't get deals without trust, and most of the world is trusting us less and less.

Another way of saying this: the world has less confidence in us.

0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:Look at what Ambassador Haley has done in the UN. When have you ever seen the Security council respond to the US demands like they are now? North Korea has been an issue for 3 administrations. This is the first one to actually make other countries actually do something besides a bunch of lip service. While I am not sure I would agree with all they are doing, I do notice the results they are getting.
I actually see this very differently. As I see it, both Bush and Obama worked well with the United Nations and were able to get this kind of resolution passed. Take a look at the Security Council resolutions and see how many of these were against countries like North Korea. Remember that George Bush received authorization from the United Nations for the war in Afghanistan.

Under any president, it would be really strange if North Korea didn't get sanctions after nuclear brinkmanship like this. That's not some amazing new accomplishment that only Donald Trump can achieve. As any general will tell you, no amount of military spending can make up for a lack of diplomacy, and our alliances are vital. Our power came largely from our ability to convince other countries that working together with us was in all of our best interest.

But it's also really strange when some of our closest allies vote to condemn the United States in a United Nations, including the United Kingdom and France, and countries like Canada abstain rather than support us. That's how out on a limb we are in some things.

Donald Trump threatened countries that would vote against us, Haley said she would note "those countries who vote against us." The vote was 128-9 against us. Threats and bluster only go so far. Other countries don't want us to bully them, and they stop working with us when we do that. The United States built a stable alliance of democratic countries after World War II, and it has contributed a great deal to our security.

I mean, does anyone really expect Mexico to pay for a wall on the border?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

PeterG wrote:By the way, there's a great deal of sane, carefully moderated yet unflinching criticism of President Trump from publications such as National Review, The American Conservative, and First Things. You don't have to be a liberal to be concerned about President Trump and his influence.
I have my concerns too. I am not sold on him by any means. I like a lot of what has been getting done and I chuckle at some of the foreign policy actions. President Trump seems to feel that peace through strength is a real thing. I think it can work too, but the carrot is as important as the stick. I have no doubts other world leaders and US citizens are not sure how to take him. This will create unfavorable opinions. Any major change will often create unfavorable feelings. Fear if the unknown is a real struggle for humanity.

I often think of Nebuchadrezzar as I watch how President Trump acts and reacts. We will see if there is a fiery furnace that pops up somewhere.

My opinion. I do not think President Trump is the best statesman. I also do not think he is the worst. I like the direction the government is going. I like some of the policy developing. I do not like President Trump's style and ways of working. I do like his frankness. I laugh at his bombasity, but would not like to deal with it daily. I also know we will survive and live through his years of service, as we did through other presidents. I see no crisis. I think history will look back much differently then we see it daily. I am willing to put up with the negatives because I think the positives of the administration is well worth it, so far. That could change.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

The one really good thing about the Trump presidency is it is keeping the media occupied. but not only the media - at the rate we are going this discussion may yet catch up with that other ongoing discussion - that of climate change.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:I see no crisis. I think history will look back much differently then we see it daily. I am willing to put up with the negatives because I think the positives of the administration is well worth it, so far. That could change.
I don't see a crisis either. He is the president of the United States, and will be until the next election. Really, the main thing I can do is this:
Once Again wrote:I Timothy 2:1-3 "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior,"

Regardless of our thoughts about the current president, I hope we are all fervently praying for him and all our leaders.
I do tend to keep my eyes open. And we'll know a whole lot more about the man and his presidency in 3 years than we do now. Prayer is good.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Bootstrap wrote:I don't see a crisis either. He is the president of the United States, and will be until the next election.

Just curious what all of you think...

Is there something Trump is capable of doing (either intentionally or inadvertently) that would create a situation where there would be enough Republicans motivated to get him ousted?

I've wondered already why the Republicans wouldn't want Pence instead.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:I don't see a crisis either. He is the president of the United States, and will be until the next election.
Just curious what all of you think...

Is there something Trump is capable of doing (either intentionally or inadvertently) that would create a situation where there would be enough Republicans motivated to get him ousted?

I've wondered already why the Republicans wouldn't want Pence instead.
i think most are happy Pence is right where he is, in the event. lots of talk of Pence being the next POTUS. but, Trump is serving a purpose that, perhaps others could not.

honestly, i think of Trump as a sort of snow plow, clearing a path for others to follow.
he will not live forever.
thankfully, there seems to be lots of decent others that could follow. Pence is one.

had hillary won, it’s likely these decent men would have been seriously silenced.
“all this” (chaos of the prior 8 years) would have worsened.

Trump’s sometimes bombastic style, which media loves-to-hate, is not outrageous enough to make (me) forget the horrifying agenda that was being pushed, willy-nilly, onto people in the U.S., and, outward into the rest of the world - often, very much unwanted.

NONE is perfect, as this thread notes, none have been perfect - not in the history of the U.S., or in world history. “Only one God.”

as well, voters seem to be learning to distinguish establishment, career politicians, both parties, as a group that claims to be 2 parties, but, is, in action, 1 self-serving party.

thus, this can be confusing to those who aren’t discerning this unhappy reality.

they will say, “but, Republicans are saying,” based on believing there are 2 distinct parties.
at this point, some have been identified as “Republican, in name only,” their voting records consistently fall with Democrats - to the point, the question arises, “are they DNC plants?”

this situation has been worsening over lots of years - public servants not representing the people, instead, gaining fortunes for themselves, abusing those positions of responsibility. some, for decades+decades!

some wise ones saw through this long ago.
however, it has become more widely recognized; the internet allows “the people” to compare notes in ways not possible prior.

i wrote much more than intended. :(

i just learned that one prescription i use will cost $9 less in 2018.
my social security is $12 more per month. :mrgreen:
i have read, some are noticing prices of goods decreasing a bit, due to tax credits.
even a small decrease (instead of continual increase) in cost of living will help (folks like me) a lot.
i’m hoping to hear my adult working children talk about more take-home pay.

Christians are no longer being pointedly chastized from the White House.
Abortion is getting deserved scrutiny.

must stop writing. :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

chastised.
altho, i kinda like the “z” in there. :mrgreen:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN