President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

POLL: What do you think about the Trump presidency so far?

Total votes: 0

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Post by Josh »

I have certain questions about the "ethical norms" of people who think, for example, that abortion is OK. Who exactly decides what is ethical?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

"They" do.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I can't find one to check. I do not like Mr. Trump, his antics or lots of what he says "off the cuff", but I LOVE what his administration is doing. Deregulation on a scale not seen in a long time.

I chuckle at the Democrats who fain upset at his language. I remember President LBJ and how most of what he said could not BE printed, and his actions in the Whitehorse was vulgar and perverse. I can easily see that it is all political posturing and I pay little attention to their shrills and squawks about it. There may be some legitimate complaints, but they are lost in all the fake upset over nothing.

So my vote would be "Do not like Trump, but love much of what his administration is doing."

I find myself in a strange place. I think I would sit down with President Obama and really like him as a person, but I really disagreed with much of what his administration was doing. Now, I do not like President Trump, but I love most of what his administration is doing.

I also noticed that the survey did not use his title, or a Mr. I wonder if the creator of the poll is holding some latent hostility or disrespect towards our current President, like part of the "he is not my president" group. :o
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Post by Dan Z »

Robert wrote:Now, I do not like President Trump, but I love most of what his administration is doing.
I can appreciate this Robert. In terms of agenda, many of the presidents legislative and executive achievements so far have been boiler-plate small government conservatism. Legislatively, he has not been the anti-establishment swamp-draining maverick some of his more radical supporters might have hoped for.
I also noticed that the survey did not use his title, or a Mr. I wonder if the creator of the poll is holding some latent hostility or disrespect towards our current President, like part of the "he is not my president" group. :o
Oh friend, don't read anything into my lack of use of the title "President" - I was't trying to send a message, but was mainly trying to save length in the development of the poll by omitting the repeated use of that nine letter word. I actually had it in initially, but dropped it when editing for length. Even though (as you suspect) I'm not a fan of the man, I am a respecter of the office and of the democracy it represents (ironically - this is the source of some of my disappointment in the man). That being said, I should have used it in my title however...so I have corrected that omission in the OP. ;)
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

I'm curious if someone could explain if it is appropriate for Christians to critique government leaders or their decisions?

Which Kingdom should we be drawing people's attention too?

And if we are in His Kingdom why should we be looking over at the other one? (I am not implying anything, but rather really curious if there are any good honest answers to this.)
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Wade wrote:I'm curious if someone could explain if it is appropriate for Christians to critique government leaders or their decisions?

Which Kingdom should we be drawing people's attention too?

And if we are in His Kingdom why should we be looking over at the other one? (I am not implying anything, but rather really curious if there are any good honest answers to this.)
this forum is interesting to read for clues, if not, “good honest answers,” to your question.
(what i think) i frequently read about it here is: stay away from political opinions.
however, those words are rarely stated without also sharing a pretty clear political opinion before “staying away.” being human can be a tough test.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Good question Wade. Here's my brief attempt at an "honest" answer - you can decide if its a good one or not. :):

I think that as long as we followers of Jesus are in the world, called to represent the cause of Christ, we need to be keenly aware of what is going on in the context in which we (and our families & businesses & farms & neighbors) find ourselves, and how we need to respond and reach out in the midst of that context.

Like it or not, the governments of this world have huge impacts on the lives and well-being of the people of the world (including us and our families) - sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. In that sense, governments can live up to their God-given ordination and help uphold peace and relative stability in a fallen world...or they can rebel and usurp power to be agents of killing and oppression. Scripture tells us that governments are ordained of God for certain just purposes, and furthermore that God is either pleased or displeased by the actions of the powerful...and at times He even chooses to raise up or bring down Kings and nations. If you look at the prophetic tradition of old, it is full of examples where leaders are either praised as just and upright, or condemned as wicked and vile. Here is one that comes to mind:
  • Isaiah 10:1 & 2 Woe to those who enact evil statutes
    And to those who constantly record unjust decisions,
    So as to deprive the needy of justice
    And rob the poor of My people of their rights,
    So that widows may be their spoil
    And that they may plunder the orphans
Saying all this, I recognize that earthly governments are not where our allegiance lies as Christ followers, nor are they the primary means through which the agenda of God is advanced. For that reason I choose not to vote - however, I do choose to constantly work at discerning my surroundings. Unless we decide to live on an island (or in certain parts of Holmes County ;)), we need to be aware of what government is up to, how the context influences the relationships around us, and even how we as the people of God might be called upon to wisely and justly respond in light of our governmental context.

That's my honest answer. :)
0 x
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Oh...Wade...I should add one more, less spiritual, but equally honest reason.

For some of us, politics is just plain interesting. So is psychology, and sociology, and leadership, and the study of human behavior in general for that matter. People are the crowing jewel of God's Creation, and there is nothing more fascinating to some of us than trying to figure out what motivates them, and how they organize themselves, and how and why they do the things they do.

Others learn about gardening, or engines, or cooking, or photography, or math, or music...that's cool. I enjoy studying society and human nature. :)
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Thank you Dan. Appreciate the time you took to answer "honestly." ;)
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Dan Z wrote:People are the crowing jewel of God's Creation...
Yes, but some people crow longer and louder than others. In that respect, the president seems to be a real gem. ;)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited