President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

POLL: What do you think about the Trump presidency so far?

Total votes: 0

temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:The entire "positive" vote tally is now only 1 ahead of the "very negative" category. Interesting...
it’s a tiny number, insufficient to determine anything. fun to think about.
the neutrals (undecided?) might sway things a bit. but, even 100% of 26 voting identically on a forum of folks with common interests wouldn’t really say very much. would it? :?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Dan Z wrote:None were perfect in terms of personal integrity I'm sure, but there is a vast spread between the likes of principled people like George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter on the one end, and less honorable leaders like Richard Nixon and Donald Trump on the other.
I think a potty mouth is a wide spread from Mr Clinton that used the Oval Office with interns and President LBJ that exposed himself and used many different racial slurs.

Again, I am not fan of Trump as a person, but I find your placement to be very reactionary with little view of history.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Robert wrote:I think a potty mouth is a wide spread from Mr Clinton that used the Oval Office with interns and President LBJ that exposed himself and used many different racial slurs.

Again, I am not fan of Trump as a person, but I find your placement to be very reactionary with little view of history.
Still, I find something different in this type of behavior as it happens today. Trump is a president in the age of social media... those with prestige clearly know that what they say will be amplified through the halls of twitter, facebook, etc. It just feels so blatantly "out there"... very little behind-closed-doors dirty laundry.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

KingdomBuilder wrote:It just feels so blatantly "out there"... very little behind-closed-doors dirty laundry.
Yes, how unpolitician of him to be up front and frank with his constituents. How dare he follow through with what he said he was going to do? How could he act just like he did on the Apprentice, of which I never watched so I really don't know for sure. if anything, he has been consistent with his actions and statements. Quite a big change from "Read my lips" and "If you like your doctor" kind of people.

I did not and do not expect him to act like a Mennonite. Of course, as many times as I have back stabbed by fellow Mennonites, that might be a good thing.

Truman, LBJ, JFK, and Clinton crudeness and unacceptable actions tend to get lost in history. I suspect President Trump's will also. We will look back at policy and the impact he had while in office. He has not really faced a real crisis. That always seems to shape and show a person's real leadership abilities. We have 3 more years to see if he has to face any. If he does and does well, I suspect we will see another 4 years behind that.

I heard a line that I think really speaks well regarding President Trump.
The left takes him literally but not seriously. The right takes him seriously, but not literally.

As I sit back and watch, I think this is what so many miss. Do not take what he says literally. He is a bloviating, bombastic speaker. He is also very sanguine. One thing I have noticed is he is very determined to do what he claimed he would work to get done. I find that very refreshing in a politician. First one in many a year who was being honest. I am interested to see how all this plays out.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

[video][/video]
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:It just feels so blatantly "out there"... very little behind-closed-doors dirty laundry.
Yes, how unpolitician of him to be up front and frank with his constituents. How dare he follow through with what he said he was going to do? How could he act just like he did on the Apprentice, of which I never watched so I really don't know for sure. if anything, he has been consistent with his actions and statements. Quite a big change from "Read my lips" and "If you like your doctor" kind of people.

I did not and do not expect him to act like a Mennonite. Of course, as many times as I have back stabbed by fellow Mennonites, that might be a good thing.

Truman, LBJ, JFK, and Clinton crudeness and unacceptable actions tend to get lost in history. I suspect President Trump's will also. We will look back at policy and the impact he had while in office. He has not really faced a real crisis. That always seems to shape and show a person's real leadership abilities. We have 3 more years to see if he has to face any. If he does and does well, I suspect we will see another 4 years behind that.

I heard a line that I think really speaks well regarding President Trump.
The left takes him literally but not seriously. The right takes him seriously, but not literally.

As I sit back and watch, I think this is what so many miss. Do not take what he says literally. He is a bloviating, bombastic speaker. He is also very sanguine. One thing I have noticed is he is very determined to do what he claimed he would work to get done. I find that very refreshing in a politician. First one in many a year who was being honest. I am interested to see how all this plays out.
Robert, I find that your post is the most balanced appraisal of this topic yet.
I remember well the potty mouth of Harry S Truman, Dem, deployer of the two atomic bombs and a diverse vocabulary bank of cursing. He was very public with his potty mouth when he called Nixon a "g-d liar" and General Douglas MacArthur a "dumb s-o-b". There are a number of other incidents but those were the most talked about.

There have been entire theses devoted to the history of "presidential public cursing" in the White House and beyond by both Republicans and Dems. Obama did it as well as all his predecessors. The mainstream media is very pro liberal platform and have always fluffed up and obsessed over any negative they can find on a conservative politician. MSM floods the airwaves with it to make sure it's "out there". It's another reason I no longer listen to the news on the radio in the car. The bias is strong and overtly ridiculous. I don't vote rather I belong to God's Kingdom. But I do know that in my 83 years Trump has not been one of the worst presidents. I won't go into who I believe they were but let's just say there have been at least 2 others.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Robert wrote:Yes, how unpolitician of him to be up front and frank with his constituents.
And that's why you like him, right? He's not a "career politician". I'm not worried about how political or apolitical he acts, I'm saying he acts with very little tact in many cases.
I heard a line that I think really speaks well regarding President Trump. The left takes him literally but not seriously. The right takes him seriously, but not literally.
sounds cute, but I don't see an ounce of that here... Maybe I need to start reading the Blaze and watching Fox and Friends to get more insight. ;) By the way, I really don't know what the "left" is up to here.
Seriously, are republicans different where you are? Most here take him very literally, and lots believe he is literally a fulfilled Biblical prophecy.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I don't make it a habit to study Trump, but his administration's crutch-kicking agenda with public education is trash.
So that's something that directly impacts me and my little bubble, which is enough to warrant a negative vote from me in this poll.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Swearing does not make you "open and honest". Hostility does not make you "open and honest". Telling the truth openly makes you "open and honest".

Except for his swearing, what would make you think that he is telling the truth?

Donald Trump has a long track record of lying to us about things that are very easy to verify, then insisting that he did not say it, or insisting that he was right even when the facts are clearly against him. Remember that he first became a politician by spreading a lie, saying that Barack Obama was not born in America and was not eligible to be president, then doubling down when the birth certificate was produced, insisting that it was not a valid birth certificate. He lies to us regularly about things like the size of his inauguration crowd ("alternative facts") and his legislative accomplishments (the fewest number of bills into law of any first-year president dating back to Dwight Eisenhower), he tried to tell us that Ted Cruz's father was linked to Lee Harvey Oswald ...

I'm sure someone will say that all politicians lie. But in the United States, no president in my lifetime has lied so blatantly and so routinely, shouting people down when confronted instead of addressing the facts. And no president has worked so hard to stoke hostility toward the media, calling them “dishonest,” “scum” and the “enemy of the American people.”
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I do want to say that I appreciate Donald Trump's choice of Neil Gorsuch for the Supreme Court, and I especially appreciate his recent work to protect Christians from being required to participate in abortions or same-sex weddings. I also appreciate bringing down the corporate income tax.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?