Colloquialisms

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Colloquialisms

Post by MaxPC »

One of the men in our prayer group expressed relief to us that a certain member had quit. Apparently the man argued politics constantly and he has been dubbed a "last word freak" for his need to have the last word. Sad.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Colloquialisms

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:One of the men in our prayer group expressed relief to us that a certain member had quit. Apparently the man argued politics constantly and he has been dubbed a "last word freak" for his need to have the last word. Sad.
Thanks for the gossip
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote:One of the men in our prayer group expressed relief to us that a certain member had quit. Apparently the man argued politics constantly and he has been dubbed a "last word freak" for his need to have the last word. Sad.
Have been cogitating on this incident a bit. The first is this man's apparent need to have the last word and his need to lash out at others for attention. These immature behaviors from a 50-something adult is unusual. I wonder about what drives his need for attention or if he's having a breakdown of some sort. Sad and an occasion for prayer.

The second is the colloquialism itself. "Last word freak" seems to have sprung from the internet forum crowd. I find it interesting how the internet has influenced our language.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote:
Have been cogitating on this incident a bit. The first is this man's apparent need to have the last word and his need to lash out at others for attention. These immature behaviors from a 50-something adult is unusual. I wonder about what drives his need for attention or if he's having a breakdown of some sort. Sad and an occasion for prayer.

The second is the colloquialism itself. "Last word freak" seems to have sprung from the internet forum crowd. I find it interesting how the internet has influenced our language.
I think having the last word can mean 'winning' to someone. In other words, I put the issue to rest with my last statement. I won. :clap: Horray for me.

I guess for me colloquialism has always been around with who I talk to. Words and phrases like wanna, gonna, feeling blue, drives me bananas, flip my lid, buzz off, had a conniption, beats me, far-fetched and of course, when the roll is called 'up yonder' I'll be there.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I'd like to have the last word here
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:I'd like to have the last word here
That's okay with me.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Some people truly have zeal and passion for what they believe- politics & 'religion' or doctrine are two areas that this can happen- pride would be at the root of having to have the last word, for the sake of having the last word, or 'to be right'- but what if one truly feels passion for what they believe & are trying to convey it? Of course your prayer group would probably know the difference having a real relationship with this person-

Jude, had this to say:

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

When I think of his exhortation to earnestly conted for the faith- how does one do this, without seeming to be 'contentious' or having the last word when bringing truth into error? would that be seen as having to have the last word?

Just considering this-

Hopefully now your prayer group will be praying for him- and he will return at some point.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote:
I think having the last word can mean 'winning' to someone. In other words, I put the issue to rest with my last statement. I won. :clap: Horray for me.

I guess for me colloquialism has always been around with who I talk to. Words and phrases like wanna, gonna, feeling blue, drives me bananas, flip my lid, buzz off, had a conniption, beats me, far-fetched and of course, when the roll is called 'up yonder' I'll be there.
Thank you all who gave sincere feedback about these behaviors.

For this particular person, Sudsy, I think your description is a bullseye.

I've traveled a fair bit in my lifetime and I'm in the habit for listening for indigenous colloquialisms. This particular one seems to be modern. I like the old colloquialisms simply because of familiarity but I'm open to learning freshly coined terms as well.

As I requested earlier, it's an occasion for prayer. If you wouldn't mind, join us in praying for this man and all people who absolutely must win by having the last word.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote:I'd like to have the last word here
Let the record clearly show... :hug:
0 x
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by Once Again »