POLL: Relating to Power: The Christian and Politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Which statement most closely represents your views on Christian political involvement?

Total votes: 0

ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: POLL: Relating to Power: The Christian and Politics

Post by ohio jones »

Dan Z wrote:It is interesting, The opinions of the Anabaptists in this poll so far are a lot different than the opinions of the Anabaptists on my Facebook feed. :D
Maybe it's easier to speak prophetically when it's anonymous. :)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I didn't vote. I don't vote in elections =). No just kidding. I didn't vote for #1 or #2 because I don't see any meaningful distinction between them. And there seems to be an implicit suggestion (with which I disagree) that to be "strangers and aliens" means to not engage at all. Being strangers and aliens doesn't mean we don't confront individuals with a prophetic voice. That is where I am ... we should confront individuals and call them to be followers. Much like Paul challenged King Agrippa say. He challenged him personally. Or like John the Baptist did Herod...they didn't take the opportunity to lecture them on policy or "protest" for political policy/change.

The only solution is to reject the kingdoms and principalities of this world and invite people into another kingdom where the law is love and gospel is peace. Since Jesus is President, literally Trump (or Clinton) are not our presidents. This is the modern lingo of Jesus is Lord so that means Caesar is not Lord. In that sense the "not my president" people are right, but it is what we should be saying. Not them. He actually is there president. But neither he, nor Obama, are our presidents.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
Dan Z wrote:It is interesting, The opinions of the Anabaptists in this poll so far are a lot different than the opinions of the Anabaptists on my Facebook feed. :D
Maybe it's easier to speak prophetically when it's anonymous. :)
are the FB questions the same?
would you share the totals?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Dan Z wrote:I understand Josh...although To me "speaking prophetically" is not driven by political ideology and pop culture causes but, rather, by Kingdom identity and the cause of Christ
If I hear someone say "prophetically speak truth to power", 99 times out of 100 the speaker will be meaning "Call your local congressman and ask him to pass this George Soros-promoted legislation".

Sorry for my cynicism but I spent years in that mindset where actually following Jesus, being born again, or living a holy life was completely unimportant, but all manner of social activism to try to persuade elected officials to force (for example) gay marriage or more Planned Parenthood funding was absolutely the most moral thing required - literally the only thing Jesus came to tell us to do.

I really have no desire to ever return to confusing "prophecy" with that.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps many pilgrims and strangers do not post loudly on Facebook or choose to be strangers to Facebook.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

With some reluctance, I chose # 2 over #1. But I could go to a 2+ in the sense that I believe 'volunteering' is something that we SHOULD be doing, but I wonder if it means something different here than what I think it does.

I see "being in the world but not of it" as being fully engaged with people of the world, with no participation in the system of the world.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Perhaps many pilgrims and strangers do not post loudly on Facebook or choose to be strangers to Facebook.
Is Facebook that place where people go to share hair-raising headlines from fake news sites in between posting pictures of themselves so that their friends can all comment on how pretty or handsome they are? ;)
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Neto wrote:With some reluctance, I chose # 2 over #1. But I could go to a 2+ in the sense that I believe 'volunteering' is something that we SHOULD be doing, but I wonder if it means something different here than what I think it does.
Good question Neto. I was thinking about volunteering for a political party or political cause in particular when I wrote the question - hope that helps.
I see "being in the world but not of it" as being fully engaged with people of the world, with no participation in the system of the world.
Well put!
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Dan Z wrote:
Neto wrote:With some reluctance, I chose # 2 over #1. But I could go to a 2+ in the sense that I believe 'volunteering' is something that we SHOULD be doing, but I wonder if it means something different here than what I think it does.
Good question Neto. I was thinking about volunteering for a political party or political cause in particular when I wrote the question - hope that helps.
OK. Assuming that by involvement in a "political cause" you mean involvement in a protest or demonstration for or against some political cause or problem, then I'm pretty much in agreement with # 2, meaning to NOT be involved in that, at least in general. But I do still think that there may be certain cases where an open identification with a political concern (through some type of public display of opposition or solidarity) may be a proper way of demonstrating compassion for the persons who are victims in that scenario. I do think, however, that compassion is better demonstrated on a personal level, generally out of view of the public sphere.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Neto wrote:...But I do still think that there may be certain cases where an open identification with a political concern (through some type of public display of opposition or solidarity) may be a proper way of demonstrating compassion for the persons who are victims in that scenario. I do think, however, that compassion is better demonstrated on a personal level, generally out of view of the public sphere.
Well said...we are on the same page here.

As I said earlier, it seems to me that there are occasionally times when an egregious systematic injustice would compel us, as Christians, to express our individual and collective concern to political powers - especially in cases where the injustice is perpetrated against the voiceless. Abortion, genocide, war crimes against civilians, exploitation or violence against the poor or strangers in our midst are some that come to mind.
0 x