POLL: Relating to Power: The Christian and Politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Which statement most closely represents your views on Christian political involvement?

1) As "strangers and aliens" in this world, Christians should totally abstain from direct involvement in politics, recognizing that worldly power & coercion are inherently at odds with the goals & methods of the Kingdom of God.
55%
2) While direct involvement in politics (e.g. voting, volunteering) compromises a Christian's allegiances and non-resistant convictions, Christians should be willing to speak prophetically to power and the moral issues of the day.
27%
3) Christians should vote on issues and for candidates that reflect their values, but non-resistant Christians must not compromise by voting for positions that carry out corporal force on their behalf (e.g. President, sheriff).
No votes
4) As "salt & light" in a fallen world, a Christian's primary allegiance to Christ should be reflected in all areas of life, including sometimes at the voting booth, particularly when candidates or issues align with their convictions & values.
15%
5) Secular governments are ordained of God to keep order & punish evil. It is the Christian duty to help ensure that government remains just & reflective of our Christian values by voting and even political involvement.
No votes
6) God has given Christians a template for moral and just governance in Scripture, and Christians should not only vote, but seek positions influence and political position to help return society to its proper order before the Lord.
3%

Total votes: 33

PositiveSeeker
Affiliation: Non-Denominational

Re: POLL: Relating to Power: The Christian and Politics

Postby PositiveSeeker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:24 pm

That's got nothing to do with politics. If someone is engaging in adultery, I can flatly say he needs to repent - regardless of political affiliation.

So if a person is allowing unborn babies to be killed, can we tell that person that he/she needs to repent regardless of political affiliation?
0 x

JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Postby JimFoxvog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:58 pm

PositiveSeeker wrote:
That's got nothing to do with politics. If someone is engaging in adultery, I can flatly say he needs to repent - regardless of political affiliation.

So if a person is allowing unborn babies to be killed, can we tell that person that he/she needs to repent regardless of political affiliation?

Or ordering military strikes that will of course kill women (who may be pregnant) and children?

See how it expands?
1 x

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 pm

PositiveSeeker wrote:

"Allowing?" How are they supposed to stop it? You can't stop abortions other than by force.

I would tell a doctor or a mother that abortion is wrong and that if they have done or are doing so, they need to repent.
1 x

RZehr
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Postby RZehr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Josh wrote:
PositiveSeeker wrote:

"Allowing?" How are they supposed to stop it? You can't stop abortions other than by force.

I would tell a doctor or a mother that abortion is wrong and that if they have done or are doing so, they need to repent.

Right. Does our lack of action this afternoon in stopping abortion, drunkenness, etc, mean we allowed it?
2 x

PositiveSeeker

Postby PositiveSeeker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:23 pm

"Allowing?" How are they supposed to stop it? You can't stop abortions other than by force. I would tell a doctor or a mother that abortion is wrong and that if they have done or are doing so, they need to repent.

Any political figure that is advocating or protecting abortion is allowing it to continue.
1 x

PositiveSeeker

Postby PositiveSeeker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Or ordering military strikes that will of course kill women (who may be pregnant) and children?

IF a Christian were to have a place in politics that would need to be addressed as well.
1 x

Return to “Current Events and Politics”