Anabaptist separatism and white separatism

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Anabaptist separatism and white separatism

Post by Bootstrap »

PetrChelcicky wrote:I see that I wrote a sentence which is highly ambiguous.
What I wanted to say is "Why exclude a person - because of his/her race - from a religious group to which he/she is attracted?"
You seem to be implying that the reason conservative Anabaptist churches don't have a lot of black members involves actively keeping them out. I'd be surprised if large numbers of blacks are trying to join their churches.

I know of some conservative Anabaptists who have adopted black children. That's not the kind of thing I expect alt-right leaders to do.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

PetrChelcicky wrote:I read with interest how Bootstrap tries to draw a fundamental line between Anabaptism and the alt-right. In some cases, he makes a point, but on the whole I think his position is hopeless.

The great idea which connects both movements is separatism.
A very different kind of separatism.

I'm not sure how much direct contact you have with American culture, people who are alt-right, or conservative Anabaptists, and culture is hard to understand from afar. But you don't see conservative Anabaptists marching down the streets of Charlottesville with Nazi-symbolism and Nazi-style torches to intimidate people, you don't see conservative Anabaptists engaging in internet bullying. You don't see alt-right people insisting on non-resistance and prayer.

A separatism that withdraws from mainstream society to live a peaceful life and live for God is very different from a separatism that thrives on threats and conspiracy theories and seeks to gain control of government. If an alt-right leader wanted to join a conservative Anabaptist church, it would require a whole lot of repenting.

My ideal is a separatism that seeks to establish a community of servants who reach out to and serve others. I suspect Ernie may be trying to do just that.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

A separatism that withdraws from mainstream society to live a peaceful life and live for God is very different from a separatism that thrives on threats and conspiracy theories and seeks to gain control of government. This is specifically why the attempt to connect the two movements (Anabaptism and Alt-Right) on a "separatist" principle is futile. They are diametrically opposed at the root.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

There is no common ground.
0 x
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

I think people may be attracted to separatist groups with wildly different ideologies for similar reasons. The attraction is the separated lifestyle and the idea of belonging to a remnant brotherhood; the theology or ideology is window dressing. I have seen a few drop by this board - I think of them as "lifestyle" seekers.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

The attraction is the separated lifestyle and the idea of belonging to a remnant brotherhood; the theology or ideology is window dressing.
One of the greatest failures of the Anabaptist movement in general has been their acceptance of this.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Heirbyadoption wrote:
The attraction is the separated lifestyle and the idea of belonging to a remnant brotherhood; the theology or ideology is window dressing.
One of the greatest failures of the Anabaptist movement in general has been their acceptance of this.
Unfortunately one can be called individualistic for doing anything different and accused of not understanding brotherhood, but then by doing the same; accusations come of being lifestyle seekers... :roll:
I wonder if seperation is one of the most confused terms with Christian's today?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

One kind of separation says "this world is not our home, we are members of another kingdom, we are pilgrims and aliens here". The other kind of separation says "this is our country and our kingdom, it is not your home, go back to your own kingdom, we have no room for pilgrims and aliens here".
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
One kind of separation says "this world is not our home, we are members of another kingdom, we are pilgrims and aliens here". The other kind of separation says "this is our country and our kingdom, it is not your home, go back to your own kingdom, we have no room for pilgrims and aliens here".
Or, it can be that we welcome pilgrims and aliens who respect the needful process in place for valid reasons.

I'm mindful of my nieces good friend whose family is from Iran (been here a few years). She is a senior in high school, and is getting an entire college education for free and yet spent a good part of Christmas day bashing our government and pointing out that it needs 'changed'. So is it good for others to leave their own country, get free rides and then bite the hand that feeds them? What kind of 'changes' do these pilgrims and aliens want to make in our country after leaving their own country?
WHO separated the kingdoms to begin with and why? Who divided the 'people' by languages?
I bring this up because I know ISIS is intention about infiltration, and in our colleges and prisons being areas of influence -
There are valid reasons to be careful about how hospitable we are, which is why processes were put in place, true?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
Or, it can be that we welcome pilgrims and aliens who respect the needful process in place for valid reasons.
This thread is about Anabaptist separatism versus alt-right separatism. I'm guessing you are neither a conservative Anabaptist nor a member of the alt-right. Conservative Anabaptist separatism, at it's purest, would not presume to tell the government what the needful process is. Alt-right separatism does not want to welcome pilgrims and aliens who respect the needful process.
I'm mindful of my nieces good friend whose family is from Iran (been here a few years). She is a senior in high school, and is getting an entire college education for free and yet spent a good part of Christmas day bashing our government and pointing out that it needs 'changed'. So is it good for others to leave their own country, get free rides and then bite the hand that feeds them? What kind of 'changes' do these pilgrims and aliens want to make in our country after leaving their own country?
Most Americans I know think the government needs changing, including Americans who have received significant government assistance. Even conservative Anabaptists who don't vote might think our government needs changing - surely you aren't proposing that your niece's good friend should be sent back to Iran. I assume you would say the role of Christians is to love and serve refugees, just like we love and serve other groups. Regardless, I think Petr started this thread to imply that there is no difference between Anabaptist separatism and white supremacy. I doubt you would agree with him.

The separatism of conservative Anabaptism is not about government policy or how refugees should act in America. It belongs to another kingdom. I am not a conservative Anabaptist, but I agree with them on this. And my main job is to be a servant of others, including refugees.
0 x