Credible News Sources

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Credible News Sources

Post by Signtist »

A positive spin on T1's thread. What are your favourite news sources? (Yes I just spelled it that way. Don't care if spell check thinks it's wrong!) Which are most likely to present unbiased news? I think if someone wants to make billions in the USA right now they ought to start a news agency where those writing/reporting get fired if someone can tell which way their bias runs. I think it would be wildly popular.

In Canada the CBC is notoriously liberal, Sun Media (which some claim is nothing more than a tabloid) can be surprisingly conservative editorially speaking. Macleans seems to be equal opportunity.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Credible News Sources

Post by temporal1 »

thanks, Signtist. :D
after my window-to-edit was gone, i realized, i should have worded the "Source bashing" thread to include source plugging! - too late.

this will serve nicely. it's optimistic, my favorite colour. :P
(i disabled spell check. old school. i'll take responsibility for my own errors.)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I have learned to trust theBlaze.

I read FoxNews, but know they will leave things out at times.

I also read all those facebook news stories that I just know are true. :lol:
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

The Economist. Comprehensive global news coverage, little to no fluff. Generally careful reporting with occasional lapses into simplistic summarization. Pro-market, pro-globalization, anti-authoritarian, and socially liberal/libertarian. Respectful treatment of religion, positive coverage of Christian charitable work. The editorial perspective bleeds through a bit more than I'd like in a lot of the news articles, but you know what you're getting.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

There is no unbiased news anymore. I like RT.com which is at least reasonably honest about its bias.

https://www.rt.com/
Signtist wrote:I think if someone wants to make billions in the USA right now they ought to start a news agency where those writing/reporting get fired if someone can tell which way their bias runs. I think it would be wildly popular.
I think you overestimate people's interest in truth. People don't want truth, they want to hear their own opinions from an official source.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Franklin wrote:There is no unbiased news anymore. I like RT.com which is at least reasonably honest about its bias.

https://www.rt.com/
Signtist wrote:I think if someone wants to make billions in the USA right now they ought to start a news agency where those writing/reporting get fired if someone can tell which way their bias runs. I think it would be wildly popular.
I think you overestimate people's interest in truth.
People don't want truth, they want to hear their own opinions from an official source.
Franklin, i believe this has come to be, with one contributing factor that can be altered. maybe it's in process of being altered, as we speak? we can hope.

in the U.S., government education was so respected (by most) for so long, it was trusted without question. of course, when humans are involved, this is always a fail.
every garden requires weeding and watering.

young people must be taught how to search and research, how to ask balanced questions, how to ask questions beyond surface appearances. how to question silence, how not to presume when being tempted to presume. evidence is, the present system is not doing this.

reading a censored, assigned script is not reporting news. it's not news or journalism.

locally, our "news" stations report with so many spelling, punctuation, grammar, word usage errors, it appears, English is no longer taught in colleges. not advanced English errors! - the common errors are on a 4th grade level, elementary English! this, from "paid professionals," college gradutes; not referring to language errors in viewer comments!

there is a problem.
students are not getting a good education value for-all-the-money that's expended from everyone's tax dollars, from additional out-of-pocket money going to tuitions, for student loans, et al.

one eye-opener for me:
i had a young friend who had been raised in a communications-journalism family. primarily televised news. he was about 30 years old. conservative.

to paraphrase, he shared that i would be shocked to see who is working in newsrooms (all over the country.) he described them as liberal 20-somethings, just out of college, no life experience; green and biased.

from what i see presented, it appears this is accurate.
signs of this appear to run all through both "news" and "entertainment" media, which have become largely indistinguishable. personal opinion, speculation, biased scripts, are not news!

my personal dream would be: :mrgreen:
for news reporting to be limited to 2 hours daily (max.)
that's sufficient for international, national, state and local news.

2 hours may be overly generous.
24-7 "news" today may NOT represent 2 hours of authentic news!

2 major elections later, 2014+2016, i believe the "news" industry must have gotten the message people are not listening. now there is the scramble to "save their own hides," so far, it's pretty ugly.
will it get better - :?:

imho, not without raising education standards.
the little kiddies/graduates will take what they've learned into the workplace, good, bad, or indifferent. how could it be any different?!

one major game-changer would be: what are the kiddies being PAID to report?
if they are paid to report bias, bias will be reported.
few will leave needed employment because of personal principles. those student loans must be paid.

this is my lengthy response to agree with Signtist's OP. :blah:

we are in times of change. the results are forthcoming.
no one is anticipating perfection, or anything close to it. :P
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

beyond question, it's important to remember the consistently good results in both college acceptance and employment, of home schooled and private school students! these are students with strong family and, often, faith foundations.

the mainstream will not give credit where credit is due on this, likely out of ignorance and lack of interest to investigate, but, this is one area to not overlook.
thing is, these graduates need continued support as they graduate and go into the working world!
they face a tough world! they need as much support as can be had.

this may go back to the "Meanwhile, in Canada" thread .. which began with a report of a homeschooled, pro-life teen being elected to local office in Ontario. :D

Ontario, Sam Oosterhoff -
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

The Christian Science Monitor
http://www.csmonitor.com/

Years ago, we subscribed to it, we were NOT Christian Scientists!
but had friends, visited their church, learned some things from them .. mostly, that we could never be Christian Scientists! (they do have a good approach to Bible study for the uninitiated, as long as Mary Baker Eddy is understood not to be the Second Coming!) :shock:

This is not an endorsement, but a question.
i have not viewed any of their reports or materials in decades.
similar to LSN, i appreciated their inclusion of world news, not just U.S. news.

any MN thoughts or experiences with The Christian Science Monitor, as a news source?
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

are there any conservative Mennonite news publications available to the public?
i understand (?) there are conservative publications for Mennonites only (?)
and, there are liberal Mennonite publications available to the public (?)
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:are there any conservative Mennonite news publications available to the public?
i understand (?) there are conservative publications for Mennonites only (?)
and, there are liberal Mennonite publications available to the public (?)
There is the Plain News, which I hope stays in business. It does have subscriber only sections.

There is Mennonite World Review which has both conservative and progressive contributors. It also has a subscriber only section and a free online section.

An entirely free online publication either requires deep pockets for funding, which means someone with an agenda, or else a lot of advertising - and online advertising that is profitable is generally salacious, questionable stuff.

We should all think about spending less time reading online clickbait sites and pick up a subscription to Plain News and MWR.
0 x