Credible News Sources

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Credible News Sources

Post by RZehr »

barnhart wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:02 pm Journalism is fickle to be sure, but fake news is far from new. Ancient Egyptian pharaohs cared stone panels dipicting fabulous victories in battles that all other sources say they lost. Newspapers knowingly published forged letters reporting to be from George Washington regretting the revolution in the middle of the war (he did not respond but after the war went out of his way to encourage the publisher not to flee). Political enemies of Jefferson published newspaper editorials claiming if he won people would have to bury their Bibles. Antagonists of Andrew Jackson published claims his wife had been a prostitute, which caused her a lot of stress and when she died early Jackson blamed the press. The Yellow journalism of Hearst and others lied the US into war with Spain.

There is nothing new under the sun. In Mark Twain's Huck Finn, the outlaw group float down the river city to city experiencing different venues of the dark side of American culture. In one town they get hold of the local press and print their own broadside ads to fool the locals into their schemes. Wise people have always consumed news critically.
Didn’t Mark Twain say something like “If you don’t read the new, you are uninformed. If you do read the news, you are misinformed.”?
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:12 pm
barnhart wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:02 pm Journalism is fickle to be sure, but fake news is far from new. Ancient Egyptian pharaohs cared stone panels dipicting fabulous victories in battles that all other sources say they lost. Newspapers knowingly published forged letters reporting to be from George Washington regretting the revolution in the middle of the war (he did not respond but after the war went out of his way to encourage the publisher not to flee). Political enemies of Jefferson published newspaper editorials claiming if he won people would have to bury their Bibles. Antagonists of Andrew Jackson published claims his wife had been a prostitute, which caused her a lot of stress and when she died early Jackson blamed the press. The Yellow journalism of Hearst and others lied the US into war with Spain.

There is nothing new under the sun. In Mark Twain's Huck Finn, the outlaw group float down the river city to city experiencing different venues of the dark side of American culture. In one town they get hold of the local press and print their own broadside ads to fool the locals into their schemes.

Wise people have always consumed news critically.
Didn’t Mark Twain say something like
“If you don’t read the [news], you are uninformed. If you do read the news, you are misinformed.”?
if you guys had posted this early on, you might have saved 60+pages. :lol:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Here is a new source that I like quite well.

The New Paper
https://thenewpaper.co/

They have a free edition as well as a paid.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ernie wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:03 pm Here is a new source that I like quite well.

The New Paper
https://thenewpaper.co/

They have a free edition as well as a paid.
For years I maintained a subscription to US news and world report that filled this niche. Weekly news in print is about the right speed and format for me.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:12 pm Didn’t Mark Twain say something like “If you don’t read the news, you are uninformed. If you do read the news, you are misinformed.”?
Cute!

But ... I can't find where he said it. Did he? Did you read this in the news?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

barnhart wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:02 pmWise people have always consumed news critically.
And therefore, wise people use news sources that are clear about their claims, evidence for those claims, and sources. Without that, it's not possible to consume news critically.

And wise people watch stories as they develop over time, changing their understanding accordingly.

Wise people are also aware of their emotions and how clickbait journalism caters to fear and hate and disgust, manipulating us to believe wild claims that simply are not true. That's what propaganda is all about.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:38 pm
RZehr wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:12 pm Didn’t Mark Twain say something like “If you don’t read the news, you are uninformed. If you do read the news, you are misinformed.”?
Cute!

But ... I can't find where he said it. Did he? Did you read this in the news?
Keep looking. If you find it, please let us know. I don’t know where I read it.

Have you checked here? https://marktwainstudies.com/the-apocry ... sinformed/
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:43 pmKeep looking. If you find it, please let us know. I don’t know where I read it.
Seems to be a quote that materialized between 1998 and 2007.

https://style.mla.org/five-commonly-mis ... uotations/
3. “If you don’t read the newspaper, you’re uninformed. If you do, you’re misinformed.”

This quotation is regularly misattributed to Mark Twain on social media. According to the Center for Mark Twain Studies, the quotation moved to social media after becoming a commonly cited aphorism among newspaper columnists around 2007. The center notes the irony that Twain might have appreciated: “newspaper writers writing in newspapers about the unreliability of newspaper writing and citing an unreliable source to testify to that unreliability” (“Apocryphal Twain”).
See also:

https://marktwainstudies.com/the-apocry ... sinformed/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mark- ... sinformed/
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

NYT / Snopes / BuzzFeed .. mixed emotions? :lol:

NYT / Snopes Retracts 60 Articles Plagiarized by Co-Founder: ‘Our Staff Are Gutted’
The fact-checking site has banned David Mikkelson, who owns half the company, from writing articles after a BuzzFeed News investigation prompted an internal review.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/13/busi ... elson.html

Years ago, Snopes was a thing. It fell from grace.
Appropriate for the quote, Mark Twain or not.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

“If you don’t read Snopes, you are misinformed. If you read Snopes, you must already be formed.” - RZehr
8-)
2 x