Credible News Sources

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Credible News Sources

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:40 pm What distinguishes Fox from MSNBC and CNN? There are plenty of differences.
You focus on their point of view. I disagree with a whole lot from all three channels, I think they are all extremely worldly.

But here's something that really distinguishes them: the emails that show Fox executives and stars basically saying they shouldn't tell us the truth because it might affect their ratings. That they have to tickle people's ears with what they want to hear. No suggestion at all that their job is to tell people the truth. I just haven't seen anything like it for the other networks.

Calling someone crazy and a liar in private, then giving her a star slot on their shows the next day to boost ratings.

And yet, Fox is not banned for this? Honestly, I'd be fine with banning all political videos, make people think for themselves and not just forward things. But banning just the stations that might give an alternate point of view seems pretty blatant.
Robert wrote:All news sites get things wrong in an attempt to be first. It is how they deal with wrong stories that matter to me.
So what is it about how they deal with wrong stories that matters?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

FWIW, I think it would also be consistent to simply allow people to use whatever sources they prefer. If Fox is allowed, it's hard to justify banning the other two "Big Three" channels, given the ways Fox has been caught red-handed, repeatedly. Unless you want to make sure that it's harder to find videos to represent other points of view.

Of course, this is Robert's forum, and he can do whatever he wants.
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Bootstrap wrote:
And yet, Fox is not banned for this? Honestly, I'd be fine with banning all political videos, make people think for themselves and not just forward things. But banning just the stations that might give an alternate point of view seems pretty blatant.
LOL..From someone who uses AI to generate information for posts. Using AI for information to post here, certainly is "NOT thinking for oneself".
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:46 pm
Bootstrap wrote:
LOL..From someone who uses AI to generate information for posts. Using AI for information to post here, certainly is "NOT thinking for oneself".
Hmmm. If I use GPT and tell people when I do it, that makes me suspect.

If Fox News executives tell each other they are lying to their audience but need to give them what they want, that does not make Fox News suspect.

Since I apparently can't think for myself, I need you to explain this to me. Because I admit I don't get it. Why doesn't it bother you that they do this?
2 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:39 pm
Bootstrap wrote:

If Fox News executives tell each other they are lying to their audience but need to give them what they want, that does not make Fox News suspect.

Since I apparently can't think for myself, I need you to explain this to me. Because I admit I don't get it. Why doesn't it bother you that they do this?
Part of what makes credible journalism is transparency. Boot is transparent about using ChatGTP and isn't passing off posts with AI-generated content as his own writing. I think that's ethical. I also play around with ChatGTP because it is a tool my students will someday need to learn how to use. I don't currently teach them to use AI because I am also teaching them other skills and haven't found a good way to use AI in the classroom yet.

Fox News reporting one thing while their own journalists acknowledge in private emails that they knew what they were reporting wasn't true is a completely different issue.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:09 pm Part of what makes credible journalism is transparency. Boot is transparent about using ChatGTP and isn't passing off posts with AI-generated content as his own writing. I think that's ethical. I also play around with ChatGTP because it is a tool my students will someday need to learn how to use. I don't currently teach them to use AI because I am also teaching them other skills and haven't found a good way to use AI in the classroom yet.

Fox News reporting one thing while their own journalists acknowledge in private emails that they knew what they were reporting wasn't true is a completely different issue.
Another thing that makes credible journalism is making the effort to discover and tell the truth, and correct errors when they are discovered. I think I put some effort into doing that.

When Fox News executives call something "crazy" and "lies" in their email to each other, then promote those crazy lies to their audiences ... when say the reason they do this is that this is what their audience wants to hear, that it boosts their ratings ... does that make them a reliable source of truth?
1 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Bootstrap wrote:

It doesn't make you suspect. However even if you are forthright in making it known that you use GPT, still doesn't qualify you to tell others to think for themselves. Using GPT is NOT thinking for yourself.

I wasn't following this thread closely, but that statement in your post stood out to me. I will need to go back and read everything.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

What do you call an MSNBC and CNN ban on Mennonet? A good start.

I choose to look at it that way. Yes, I don't see any important credibility difference between them and Fox at all. But I figure banning the two of them doesn't hurt anything at all. Any banning is probably a good thing. Banning Fox and then allowing CNN and MSNBC would probably be better than allowing all three. Part of something, is better than all of nothing. :)
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Grace wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:44 pm

It doesn't make you suspect. However even if you are forthright in making it known that you use GPT, still doesn't qualify you to tell others to think for themselves. Using GPT is NOT thinking for yourself.

I wasn't following this thread closely, but that statement in your post stood out to me. I will need to go back and read everything.
ChatGTP is a tool and it depends on how you use it. Some of my students want to use AI to crank out papers without having to write them and pass it off as their own work. That's not thinking for yourself.

Using AI as a way to brainstorm or as a jumping off point for your own thinking is still thinking for yourself.

In the same way, just repeating some media narrative you've heard without critically thinking about whether it's true or not is not thinking for yourself.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Szdfan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:20 pm
Robert wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:08 pm From what I remember, they settled out of court with accepting no wrongdoing.
For $787 million dollars -- the largest known media settlement for defamation in US history.
If there were consistency, this number will be peanuts compared to defamation+damages by way of cries of “INSURRECTION!”
temporal1 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:23 pm 2024 / HAPPY INSURRECTION DAY!
Estate of Ashli Babbitt SUES Government for Wrongful Death - Viva Frei Vlawg / -17min
Fast Forward to 4:00 “BALD FACED LIES” .. “NYT, we’re lookin’ at you.” (wrt the Insurrection)

- - - - - - -
Robert wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:39 am .. CNN settled with Sandmann. ..

Sandmann settled with NBC, WASHINGTON POST, CNN .. not that i’ve seen much on it.

2021 / Covington Catholic Student Nicholas Sandmann Says He Settled with NBC
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/cov ... -with-nbc/

2020 / Washington Post settles Kentucky student Nick Sandmann’s $250 million defamation suit
https://www.kake.com/story/42411626/was ... ation-suit

i fail to see disparity between “news” / “entertainment” industries. Fox or NYT.

i’m always surprised to see ongoing arguments about it. comme ci, comme ça :roll:
Last edited by temporal1 on Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN