Credible News Sources

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Credible News Sources

Post by barnhart »

I agree. The reporter for CNN says there were three people on the motorcycle and the grenade holder sat between him and the driver. In response to the video CNN broke all ties with the reporter. On the surface it seems to be an example of responsible journalism.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:49 am
barnhart wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:21 am Robert, if a site publishes misleading or incorrect information, how big does that site need to be before it can be labeled a non-credible news source?
Each will be taken on as a case by case basis.

All news sites get things wrong in an attempt to be first. It is how they deal with wrong stories that matter to me.
So will you be banning Fox? What distinguishes Fox from MSNBC and CNN?

What are the criteria? Who decides, and how?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:15 pm What distinguishes Fox from MSNBC and CNN?
Fox is wrong deliberately a much greater proportion of the time.
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:15 pm Who decides, and how?
Those with the power to decide, as always.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:50 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:15 pm What distinguishes Fox from MSNBC and CNN?
Fox is wrong deliberately a much greater proportion of the time.
At the very least, we have the documents for Fox.

Dominion was able to show emails where Fox News executives and stars tell each other that a bunch of the election stories are crazy and unfounded, but that they have to promote these things for the sake of ratings. Tucker Carlson called Sidney Powell a liar in private, then gave her lots of coverage with very sympathetic interviews.
All news sites get things wrong in an attempt to be first. It is how they deal with wrong stories that matter to me.
This seems like the wrong way to deal with stories that they themselves said were false, in private. I don't think I have seen any of the other stations do anything this blatantly wrong, with this much clear documentation of their private views and what they were saying in public at the same time. And of course, some of the texts they were exchanging with politicians on January 6th were pretty incriminating.

So why is Fox given preferential treatment here? Why is it the only one of the Big Three news channels that is allowed on MennoNet?
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Probably because they are the more conservative of the big three.
2 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:57 pm At the very least, we have the documents for Fox.

Dominion was able to show emails where Fox News executives and stars tell each other that a bunch of the election stories are crazy and unfounded, but that they have to promote these things for the sake of ratings.
From what I remember, they settled out of court with accepting no wrongdoing.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:08 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:57 pm At the very least, we have the documents for Fox.

Dominion was able to show emails where Fox News executives and stars tell each other that a bunch of the election stories are crazy and unfounded, but that they have to promote these things for the sake of ratings.
From what I remember, they settled out of court with accepting no wrongdoing.
For $787 million dollars -- the largest known media settlement for defamation in US history.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:20 pm For $787 million dollars -- the largest known media settlement for defamation in US history.
We can infer from that settlement, but nothing was proven and Fox did not claim wrongdoing. Legally, there is no crime.

CNN settled with Sandmann. Same thing. We can infer from that, but legally there is no crime.

Pfizer, on the other hand, was 3 Billion, yet we trust they gave us a real vaccine. Seems trust is fickle.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:39 am
Szdfan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:20 pm For $787 million dollars -- the largest known media settlement for defamation in US history.
We can infer from that settlement, but nothing was proven and Fox did not claim wrongdoing. Legally, there is no crime.

CNN settled with Sandmann. Same thing. We can infer from that, but legally there is no crime.

Pfizer, on the other hand, was 3 Billion, yet we trust they gave us a real vaccine. Seems trust is fickle.
Defamation is not a crime in Delaware, it is a tort. Dominion's lawsuit against Fox was a civil case, it was never criminal. There was never a "crime."

Parties settle when the cost of losing a lawsuit costs more than settling. If Fox settled for almost $800 million, it's reasonable to infer that losing the lawsuit would have cost them a lot more.

It's your forum and your rules, but the fact that CNN and MSNBC are banned but Fox is permitted seems inconsistent and arbitrary.

I think this is a fair question --
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:15 pm What are the criteria? Who decides, and how?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Grace

Post by Grace »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:15 pm

So will you be banning Fox? What distinguishes Fox from MSNBC and CNN?

What are the criteria? Who decides, and how?
It is true that most News outlets are biased and sometimes they get things wrong. What distinguishes Fox from MSNBC and CNN? There are plenty of differences. MSNBC and CNN promote and are very biased when it comes to Abortion rights, (the annihilation of the unborn), they promote the mutilation of sexually confused children, promote the sexual grooming of children from the trans community, denigrate Christians and Bible believing people constantly, etc. They portray Christians as ignorant, backwards, and from another planet. And if they aren’t portraying Christians as ignorant and backwards, they are portraying them as dangerous and a threat to society. An example would be Jen Psaki from MSNBC when she proclaimed that the new GOP speaker, Mike Johnson, should ‘scare’ everyone because he’s a ‘Christian Fundamentalist’. Then denigrated him because he reads the Bible. You won't see any of that on Fox, as far as I know.

The moderators are right in not allowing these news outlets on the forum.
0 x