Credible News Sources

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Credible News Sources

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:By that standard, we should probably ignore all news sources. Every one of them has values deeply at odds with what we believe in our Kingdom. Do you prefer a news channel that preaches about morality while requiring women to wear short skirts and using a special camera to make sure viewers get a good view of their legs, with a CEO who sexually harasses these women, asking for sexual favors in return for advancing their career? Or a news channel with links to white supremacists?
I don't, but I'm in the "conservative Anabaptist" wing that still thinks we shouldn't watch TV news and should be careful what we put in front of our eyes, and that is wary of God-and-country Christianity.
The best we can hope for is that a news source gives us enough information that we can verify what is true or false. A good accountant is one who shows his work so that you can tell if it is correct or not.
Which is something that many news sources aren't doing. For all the heat generated about Breitbart, they're pretty good about discussing their sources. If I want to read news that isn't filtered through "We need to go to DEFCON 1 with Russia RIGHT NOW!", I'm stuck having to read from sources like Breitbart.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I don't, but I'm in the "conservative Anabaptist" wing that still thinks we shouldn't watch TV news and should be careful what we put in front of our eyes, and that is wary of God-and-country Christianity.
Sounds good to me.
Josh wrote:
The best we can hope for is that a news source gives us enough information that we can verify what is true or false. A good accountant is one who shows his work so that you can tell if it is correct or not.
Which is something that many news sources aren't doing. For all the heat generated about Breitbart, they're pretty good about discussing their sources. If I want to read news that isn't filtered through "We need to go to DEFCON 1 with Russia RIGHT NOW!", I'm stuck having to read from sources like Breitbart.
Can you name me some news sources that are advocating going to DEFCON 1 or taking rapid action? I thought most of them were suggesting that there really ought to be an investigation, as the CIA urges. If CNN and MSNBC are wings of the Democratic party and Fox is a wing of the Republican party, I suspect that Breitbart is a wing of the Trump movement these days, promoting his narratives without looking at other points of view. Are there articles where they criticize Trump significantly about anything at all?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote:I suspect that Breitbart is a wing of the Trump movement these days, promoting his narratives without looking at other points of view. Are there articles where they criticize Trump significantly about anything at all?
Yes. http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... labor-pick
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:I suspect that Breitbart is a wing of the Trump movement these days, promoting his narratives without looking at other points of view. Are there articles where they criticize Trump significantly about anything at all?
Yes. http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... labor-pick
Thanks!
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Is http://www.voanews.com a credible source?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

lesterb wrote:Is http://www.voanews.com a credible source?
I have a really hard time looking past the history of Voice of America and Radio Free Europe. Both are US government propaganda outlets, and both were used as front organization by the CIA during the cold war years to try to use its massive "black money" to control elections in Europe and throughout the world. Ralph Uttaro authored The Voices of America in International Radio Propaganda in 1982, long before the CIA files from that period were declassified. By 1971, according to his report, VOA, RFE, and Radio Liberty has received $500 million dollars from the CIA over a 20 year period, during which time they had claimed to be independent of state control and the US Government had denied CIA involvement.

On the flip side, however, at least you know what you're getting. Looking at some of their articles this morning, I did feel like the journalists did a better job than most of reporting facts and avoiding some of the aggressive emotional and political spin that is common in the news.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote:4
lesterb wrote:Is http://www.voanews.com a credible source?
I have a really hard time looking past the history of Voice of America and Radio Free Europe. Both are US government propaganda outlets, and both were used as front organization by the CIA during the cold war years to try to use its massive "black money" to control elections in Europe and throughout the world. Ralph Uttaro authored The Voices of America in International Radio Propaganda in 1982, long before the CIA files from that period were declassified. By 1971, according to his report, VOA, RFE, and Radio Liberty has received $500 million dollars from the CIA over a 20 year period, during which time they had claimed to be independent of state control and the US Government had denied CIA involvement.

On the flip side, however, at least you know what you're getting. Looking at some of their articles this morning, I did feel like the journalists did a better job than most of reporting facts and avoiding some of the aggressive emotional and political spin that is common in the news.
I agree with everything you say here.

And I suspect that most of the other outlets are also propaganda outlets, for Democrats, Republicans, Tea Party, Alt-Right, whatever. You have to read the propaganda on more than one side, then compare them to see what facts are verifiable.

VOA is at least not committed to one of the partisan political factions of the United States. But it is definitely committed to advancing American views.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Signpost wrote:I think if someone wants to make billions in the USA right now they ought to start a news agency where those writing/reporting get fired if someone can tell which way their bias runs. I think it would be wildly popular.
I doubt it. I think this is precisely what the best journalists would like to write, if there were a paying audience for that kind of thing.

You might have a better chance if every article was written from two or three different partisan sides. Everyone writing would agree on the verifiable facts, then each would spin it into a story that makes sense to them. At the end of each article, they would debate. There are some talk shows that do that kind of thing pretty well.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

OP, Page 1 / Nov 2016
Signtist wrote:A positive spin on T1's thread. What are your favourite news sources? (Yes I just spelled it that way. Don't care if spell check thinks it's wrong!) Which are most likely to present unbiased news?

I think if someone wants to make billions in the USA right now they ought to start a news agency where those writing/reporting get fired if someone can tell which way their bias runs. I think it would be wildly popular.

In Canada the CBC is notoriously liberal, Sun Media (which some claim is nothing more than a tabloid) can be surprisingly conservative editorially speaking. Macleans seems to be equal opportunity.
refreshing Signtist’s thread. :D
i do not know what to make of this:
April 2018 / Sinclair forced TV anchors to criticize “fake” news—and Trump loved it
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... -stations/

you see, Sinclair owns the “local” “news” station near me (not Chicago or suburbs.)
i find it to be an extension of Chicago politics (not good) .. not at all reflective of local folks.
to the extent it can approach being comical.

it goes something like this.
they air reports. local viewers complain, disagree, etc. they ignore their viewers, continue on with the next unwanted, unappreciated report. repeat. repeat. year after year.

not unlike much that happens on this forum. :?

i’m not aware they aired this particular statement .. but, they might have. (i have my doubts.)
i do not view televised “news.” (i.e., i don’t believe my definition of news, matches theirs.)

there are several sources for this report. i guess it happened.
i wish i understood what it means. does it make a dfference? an improvement?
there is room for improvement. :mrgreen:

[this is the “other” thread Signtist refers to:] -
Source bashing soap box
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=94
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

April 12, 2018 / Sinclair
“Twelve senators seek FCC probe of Sinclair news scripts, pause in Tribune review”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-trib ... e=facebook

i’m still in the dark.
what i see of Sinclair “locally” is routinely biased-left (Chicago.)
it’s physically located in Springfield, the state capitol, which may as well be a Chicago suburb.
state government and corporate jets serve that purpose.

since 2014, we’ve had a Republican-labeled governor, but, most votes are left.
now to a painful degree. the future looks extreme left here now.
i hope i’m wrong.

“women”
https://illinoisfamily.org/politics/era ... I.facebook
public “schools”
http://foxillinois.com/news/local/illin ... curriculum
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN