Forbidden terminology

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Forbidden terminology

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Of note is that our beliefs encompass Biblical teachings that would offend the Dem political platform:
Uhh.... I find that I often offend Republicans even more.. and they're, supposedly, the "Christian party". Eeek... Meshing those together makes me nauseous :lol:
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Of note is that our beliefs encompass Biblical teachings that would offend the Dem political platform:
Uhh.... I find that I often offend Republicans even more.. and they're, supposedly, the "Christian party". Eeek... Meshing those together makes me nauseous :lol:
If you think that either party is not offended by sound biblical teaching, you aren't listening.

At least nobody is pretending that the Democrats represent the Kingdom of God. Explaining the Evangelical voter is always puzzling ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:Back to the Centers for Disease Control ...
The National Review says that the story is oversensationalized and misrepresents the context:
First, the question of these terms ... relates only to a distinct subset of budget documents and not to the general work of the CDC or other agencies. No one is saying people can’t use these terms at HHS, though some people clearly think they shouldn’t be used in budget requests sent to Congress. And second, the most peculiar and alarming of the reported prohibitions on terms were not prohibitions at all and did not come from higher-ups in the department but emerged in the course of an internal conversation at CDC about how to avoid setting off congressional Republicans and so how to maximize the agency’s chances of getting its budget-request approved.
In other words, not "thou shalt not ever use these words" but "if we want to make our best case for funding, let's be careful how we present it." Which is hardly news at all.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:Which is hardly news at all.
Par for the course.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Well, the CDC is an office and they are probably used to apply standard terminology as defined by their superiors. In a lot of cases they will do better by describing exactly what they want to say. For example "science-based" - what's that? Is the assertion confirmed by experiments or is its negative refuted by experiments or is it simply compatible with our empirical knowledge as far as we know or whatever does this mean?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

.. because .. lesterb .. 8-)
lesterb wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:41 pm So the Center of Disease control has been forbidden to use the following words: “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.” See this Washington Post article.
This has created a big uproar amongst the elite, apparently. But you'd be hard put to put together a better list of politically correct vocabulary. These are the buzzwords of the "inner circle".

I'm not a Trump fan, but this has got to be a good thing. If you have to assert that what you are saying is evidence-based or science-based it probably needs to be propped up. Truth should be self-evident. Fetus is a term that removes the human aspect of an unborn child. A fetus is just a tumor in a woman's womb and within her power to remove if she considers it "malignant". Call it what it is--a BABY! Transgender is technically impossible in most cases, and is only a product of people's wishful thinking. Vulnerable? Those poor people need MY help--just another way of degrading part of the population. Entitlement? I have my rights. It may be at the cost of everyone else's rights, but I'm entitled to them. Diversity? I'll tolerate anything except intoleration. Don't try to take a stand for Truth around me, because that isn't politically correct anymore.

So we are being dragged back in time 150 years according to one commentator. Well, it might do a lot of people a lot of good to regain some old fashioned values.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN