Classifying political liberals and conservatives

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Classifying political liberals and conservatives

Post by Bootstrap »

Temp said this in the post-truth thread:
temporal1 wrote:well, KB, to me, your statement presumes an organized conservative group, i see zero indication such a thing exists.

however, the (minority) left is highly organized, to the point they follow a single script, whether they individually agree on it or not. to me, that's dangerous, if not cult-like.

the U.S. was structured to attempt to cope with exactly this: greed, power, politics.
so, the system may not be completely broken.
I agree with the first part, but I think 'conservative' means different things to different people. Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney are values conservatives who are not authoritarian and believe in balancing budgets. I think they have little in common with Trump and hold people like Jeff Sessions at arm's length.

Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton are quite far from each other in many ways, and they had different supporters. Just as the Republican establishment's attempt to keep Trump out failed, the Democratic establishment's attempt to marginalize Bernie Sanders failed. There's not a lot of lock-step on either side of the aisle.

To me, Hillary Clinton, Paul Ryan, and Mitt Romney are a lot more like each other than any of them are to Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders.

If you take a careful look at either side, you see that they differ on several axes.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Classifying political liberals and conservatives

Post by Josh »

I agree with this, which is why I like Sanders, Sessions, and Trump, and I don't like Romney, Clinton, and Ryan. (Those are my personal biases.)

I am sceptical of established government power and in particular global elitism.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote:I agree with this, which is why I like Sanders, Sessions, and Trump, and I don't like Romney, Clinton, and Ryan. (Those are my personal biases.)

I am sceptical of established government power and in particular global elitism.
The problem is that anti-establishment, as an idea, is generally an unproductive one.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Dan Z wrote:
Josh wrote:I agree with this, which is why I like Sanders, Sessions, and Trump, and I don't like Romney, Clinton, and Ryan. (Those are my personal biases.)

The problem is that anti-establishment, as an idea, is generally an unproductive one.
Then Anabaptism is an unproductive idea.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

Then Anabaptism is an unproductive idea.
Anabaptism may be anti-establishment in terms of its relationship to the kingdoms of this world, but it is pro-establishment when it comes to the Kingdom. That's not unproductive.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

I don't think scepticism of global elitism (or elitism in general) is unproductive, though. Establishments should be questioned, particularly ones who have set themselves up as the sworn enemies of the Kingdom.
0 x
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote:I don't think scepticism of global elitism (or elitism in general) is unproductive, though. Establishments should be questioned, particularly ones who have set themselves up as the sworn enemies of the Kingdom.
Aren't Trump, Sessions or Sanders simply trying to replace one "establishment" with another (of their own making)? Is there more virtue in that than those trying to keep the status quo (and the stability and order that goes with it)?

And, furthermore, Isn't that what humans do...organize...try to bring order and stability to a world bent toward disorder? Isn't that what Romans 13 recognizes as a necessary and "God ordained" function in a fallen world?
0 x
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

I agree with OhioJones by the way...the Anabaptists saw themselves as part of the ultimate "establishment" - God's eternal and all-encompassing Kingdom.
0 x
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote:Establishments should be questioned, particularly ones who have set themselves up as the sworn enemies of the Kingdom.
Amen - especially to the second part of this statement!
0 x