Education

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Education

Post by Josh »

Boot, some cities this is happening in are York, Reading, Baltimore, and New York City - and probably more I don't know about.

Frankly, any family willing to move reasonably close to a plain area (which includes many cities) can avail themselves of an amazing - and nearly free - education. One school has tuition of $230/mo per family but will offer to cover up to $200 of that if a family can demonstrate need.

Of course students and families must support the religious values of the school. Those values are why well qualified teachers are willing to work for nearly free when they could be making lots of money elsewhere.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:Boot, some cities this is happening in are York, Reading, Baltimore, and New York City - and probably more I don't know about.

Frankly, any family willing to move reasonably close to a plain area (which includes many cities) can avail themselves of an amazing - and nearly free - education. One school has tuition of $230/mo per family but will offer to cover up to $200 of that if a family can demonstrate need.

Of course students and families must support the religious values of the school. Those values are why well qualified teachers are willing to work for nearly free when they could be making lots of money elsewhere.
good points in this this thread, Josh.
the faith-based schools i've known about in my life, certainly not just Catholic, do all they can do get every child enrolled possible, and, outside of college, i've not known of $18,000 tuition (i do not doubt their existence one bit, but this is not an overall view.)

one Christian school in my area, near a large state university, began very small in the 70's, has grown+grown, they are flourishing.

i'm glad to read about young teachers. in the past, public schools relied on young teachers!
my dear mil graduated early from high school at age 16, began teaching in that same school soon after, at age 16! one room country high school. no calculators in those days!

a high school diplama was worth something.
a college degree, which she went on to earn, was promise of respected employment, and honor in the community, for life.

in the world, formal education was so respected, for so many years, most people did not question the "institutions." that's always a fail. too many trusted too much for too long, the price must be paid.

the lack of trust has been earned by those who took advantage of it.
the typical, and reliable, human problem.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Boot, some cities this is happening in are York, Reading, Baltimore, and New York City - and probably more I don't know about.

Excellent.

The best way to make a difference is to do something to make a difference. This sounds like people are doing that.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Haystack wrote:What types of education are we talking about? Just normal everyday school education or vocational/life skills training as well?
The Mennonite schools I'm familiar with (including the one I teach at) have fairly conventional academic programs, with no vocational or life skills training other than shop and home ec. classes, or maybe an accounting elective or something like that.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:Those values are why well qualified teachers are willing to work for nearly free when they could be making lots of money elsewhere.
Interesting. I'd definitely pick such a school over "good-money"- if there were any such schools around me, that is. :?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Josh wrote:Those values are why well qualified teachers are willing to work for nearly free when they could be making lots of money elsewhere.
Interesting. I'd definitely pick such a school over "good-money"- if there were any such schools around me, that is. :?
Something to consider is that since our teachers don't have bachelors' degrees, they don't have student loan debt, and thus they can afford to work for very low wages. If we switched to having college educated teachers, we'd have to start having $18,000/student tuition too.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

PeterG wrote:
Haystack wrote:What types of education are we talking about? Just normal everyday school education or vocational/life skills training as well?
The Mennonite schools I'm familiar with (including the one I teach at) have fairly conventional academic programs, with no vocational or life skills training other than shop and home ec. classes, or maybe an accounting elective or something like that.
Right - the focus is on the need for academic instruction. Some schools only run to 8th or 10th grade with an expectation that some people will go get jobs to learn those kind of vocational skills. Some students will go to public school for their final grades so they can have a 12th grade education, but this seems to be becoming less and less common.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

As far as I would understand from each Mennonite church we have been too (every one has had a school) is that the school is run by and actually part of the church. So schooling was always free if you were a member or regularly attended with intent to join. It was funded by the church with at least one Sunday offering if not two going tot he school. So if you like an excellent school with biblical teaching and direction, with lots of the churches time and money invested into children then it really is great. :clap:
(It is fair to say from our experience that it really is mostly members children attending - although even if the odd child from a non-member does attend it can be a real blessing for all.)
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote:
This is great! Is any of this happening outside of Mennonite strongholds, e.g. in inner cities?
Yes. I can speak of three of the Keystone church related schools that I am familiar with.

York (Tidings of Peace) Is urban, in the center of the city, and serves students from the community.

Hampden (Baltimore) is in a very urban area, and the vast majority of people it serves are from the community. It is not a "Keystone" school, but is related to Urban Mennonite Mission.

Fairview (Reading) is also fairly urban, and serves students from the community as well.

These schools are at varying stages of development. I personally have been quite impressed.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:
Something to consider is that since our teachers don't have bachelors' degrees, they don't have student loan debt, and thus they can afford to work for very low wages. If we switched to having college educated teachers, we'd have to start having $18,000/student tuition too.
not entirely certain about this.
the cost of living varies wildly in the U.S., according to location. "the coasts" are notorious for that.
as well, unions play a role in wages, and certain benefits ..

altho, from teachers i've known, the primary benefit of teaching in private or faith-based schools is interested, committed students+their families .. which cannot be bought. and it does not correspond with worldly social status. the most humble folks can have just as much desire to learn as the privileged, and vice versa.

heart is a primary ingredient for quality ed, that "all numbers" government ignores.
my mil used to say, about learning, "ya gotta wanna."
she rarely used slang.

KB, if you are sincere about teaching, look into it!
you might be the help a "bad" school needs to go in a better direction ..
you might find the "bad" school, isn't nearly as bad as rumored.
best wishes on that. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN