Education

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Education

Post by temporal1 »

often overlooked, i continue to read, the family remains the primary influence on their children!
this does not mean, "perfect" families without troubles or challenges!
all families have challenges!
it's a matter of how those challenges are met, in the home, that children absorb.

again, this is not a matter of social status.
the most humble families, with inward strength and faith, can weather storms in grace+peace ..
the most valuable life lessons of all.

i sure wish there would be more recognition of this.
there used to be! children received abundant lessons on overcoming challenges with hope and faith, dignity and honor.
i'm not sure this continues?
today's (secular) lessons seem to lean toward reliance on human reasoning, self-at-center, looking to government for answers, etc.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Education

Post by temporal1 »

OP / 2016 BP (Before Pandemic) :)
Josh wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:46 pm
KingdomBuilder wrote:
temporal1 wrote:...the "government indoctrination centers" need a big overhaul, Pre-K through college. the focus must be on balanced, critical thinking; and, quality of education, not "free" education.
Those are some very strong beliefs.
What is your basis for feeling this way?
What issues are you referring to?
What do you suggest be changed?
Something some Mennonites do is set up schools both for their own members and for the community too. In addition to a great education there is an opportunity for spiritual formation. Some of the kids join the church when they grow up, and often fit into the church very well and marry someone also in the church.

This is a great alternative to trying to overhaul the big, broken public education system.
A few Mennonite groups doing this, if you want to learn more:

- Pilgrim Mennonite Conference

- Western Cons. Menn. Fellowship

- Keystone Menn. Fellowship

- Beachy Amish

- Midwest Menn. Fellowship

Those are just the ones I personally know of where I have met outsiders who got educated in the school and are now church members - there are probably other conferences and fellowships doing this as well!

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:22 pm Boot, some cities this is happening in are York, Reading, Baltimore, and New York City - and probably more I don't know about.

Frankly, any family willing to move reasonably close to a plain area (which includes many cities) can avail themselves of an amazing - and nearly free - education. One school has tuition of $230/mo per family but will offer to cover up to $200 of that if a family can demonstrate need.

Of course students and families must support the religious values of the school.
Those values are why well qualified teachers are willing to work for nearly free when they could be making lots of money elsewhere.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN