Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:Am I the only one here without the ability to discern exactly what's going on in the heart of whatever public figure we start discussing? Where do you all get this inside knowledge - is it direct revelation from the Holy Spirit?
You're not alone. I'm very weary of discerning people's intentions- especially when those intentions involve a high degree of reward.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

PeterG wrote: Charity is always important, and I am in no way questioning Dr. Carson's sincerity or Christianity. In that sense, he certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt, which I believe he is being given here on MN. But according to an Anabaptist understanding of the situation, Dr. Carson's actions are objectively incorrect.
Indeed; yet Dr Carson is not an Anabaptist. :lol: He's Seventh Day Adventist.

How do you think God will judge him? By your denomination or his?

Which brings up another query for another thread: will we be judged by God for how well we live our Christianity as expressed by the standards of our respective denoms or by the standards of a single denomination?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:How do you think God will judge him? By your denomination or his?
Will the real expert on how God will judge Ben Carson please stand up?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MN is the place for the Anabaptist view, Peter and oj and others have it, CA/CM understanding.
for that, i'm grateful to learn.
i have questions about how that works for Anabaptists, and about how Christ works (in me.)

as for final judgment, Jesus is clear:
http://biblehub.com/romans/14-3.htm
…2For one man has faith to eat all things, while another, who is weak, eats only vegetables.
3The one who eats everything must not belittle the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted him.

4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls.
And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.…
so, here, we can pray/are to pray for one another, even in differences. not the natural way.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:MN is the place for the Anabaptist view, Peter and oj and others have it, CA/CM understanding.
for that, i'm grateful to learn.
i have questions about how that works for Anabaptists, and about how Christ works (in me.)
Indeed. I too am wondering about the Conservative Anabaptist view regarding which standards that God will use in judgement. It's clear that we are all doing our best to live according to our own denominational standards.
temporal1 wrote:as for final judgment, Jesus is clear:
http://biblehub.com/romans/14-3.htm
…2For one man has faith to eat all things, while another, who is weak, eats only vegetables.
3The one who eats everything must not belittle the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted him.

4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls.
And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.…
so, here, we can pray/are to pray for one another, even in differences. not the natural way.
Great response 8-)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote: .. I'm very weary of discerning people's intentions- especially when those intentions involve a high degree of reward.
when i was a young adult, i would sometimes feel sincerely weary or depressed.
i had the good fortune of being (encouraged) by some more experienced ones,
"you - are too young to be weary (or depressed.) you haven't yet 'earned' that right." :shock:
which, of course, surprised me, and made me rethink (my perspective.)

when i rethought things, i decided they were right.
compared to others, i had not walked far, or been tested a lot.
i had youth, health, strength .. much to be grateful-for.

were my feelings real? - yes.
were they in much perspective with others, with life, overall? probably not.

now, from the perspective i have today, i see quite a lot of "weariness" in many young people.

imho, much of it is psychological, and, possibly much of it rooted in the "information age."
much of "information" shared is not encouraging or uplifting.
it's a state of mind, more than a state of being.

i will tell you, honestly, it makes me sad to see so many young ones feel so overly burdened.
i see it. it makes me sad.

a favorite passage:
http://biblehub.com/1_thessalonians/5-11.htm
…10He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with Him.

11Therefore encourage and build one another up, just as you are already doing.

12But we ask you, brothers, to acknowledge those who work diligently among you, who preside over you in the Lord and give you instruction.…
:D
and more:
DailyVerses.net TopicsArchiveRandom VerseLog inSubscribe
Home › Topics › Encouragement

27 Bible Verses about Encouragement

But those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31 | NIV | hope strength

When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
Isaiah 43:2 | NIV | trust

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9 | NIV | God fear

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 | NIV | learning neighbor

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28 | NIV | hope rest weakness

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 | NIV | suffering worship comforter

Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:58 | NIV | obedience reward work

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2 | NIV | creation dependence

Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you,
I will give people in exchange for you,
nations in exchange for your life.
Isaiah 43:4 | NIV | love salvation valuable

Be strong and take heart,
all you who hope in the Lord.
Psalm 31:24 | NIV | hope heart

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
John 16:33 | NIV | peace overcoming world

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25 | NIV | second coming community equipment

Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4 | NIV | fear death persecution

The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
Deuteronomy 31:8 | NIV | following fear sadness

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
Psalm 32:8 | NIV | understanding learning

All hard work brings a profit,
but mere talk leads only to poverty.
Proverbs 14:23 | NIV | reliability speaking

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
2 Corinthians 4:17 | NIV | eternal life suffering reward

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13 | NIV | faith strength

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27 | NIV | peace worry world

What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Romans 8:31 | NIV | God protection

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had.
Romans 15:5 | NIV | community patience comforter

May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us;
establish the work of our hands for us—
yes, establish the work of our hands.
Psalm 90:17 | NIV | mercy work

Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.
Romans 15:2 | NIV | selfishness neighbor

For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.
2 Corinthians 8:12 | NIV | giving generosity

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Luke 12:6-7 | NIV | valuable
scriptures provide for the weary.

not that we won't be weary! -
but that we will be provided strength, encouragement, hope for the journey;
and, we can help one another along n the journey, which can become very very hard at times.

:idea: now i have something to study-over, too. :D
thank you.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

I have tried to be clear that I am not questioning Dr. Carson's sincerity, intentions, salvation, or spirituality. I am confident that he means well. It is entirely possible that he is, on the whole, a more faithful Christian than I am. As far as how he will be judged, there are good answers to that question in the thread started to address it; he certainly won't be judged by the standards of any denomination, mine, his, or otherwise.

But, from my perspective, Dr. Carson's entry into politics is a bad mistake. Though this is just my perspective, it arises from my most strongly held beliefs about Christ, the Bible, and Christianity, beliefs I share with the Anabaptist tradition of the past five centuries. I believe these things to be objectively true, applicable to all, not only to us Anabaptists who believe them.

Not everything is debatable or situational like the issues mentioned in Romans 14. Some things are wrong, plain and simple. According to the traditional Anabaptist understanding of the teachings of Christ and the apostles, Dr. Carson's political involvement is wrong. We all make mistakes, and I would be the last one to deny Dr. Carson's salvation on this account; but he's wrong. It's a matter of truth as I understand it.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and I don't object at all to the discussion of these issues from all sides. Likewise, please do not expect me to say anything other than what I believe to be true and right.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

PeterG wrote:I'm confident that Dr. Carson has the best of intentions, but if his goal is to influence society for good as much as possible, he has already failed. Dr. Carson could be the greatest HUD secretary imaginable, but his potential impact as a cabinet member can never even begin to approach the positive impact that his Christian testimony had before he entered politics. The state's use of power is both contrary to the way of Christ and counterproductive as a way of promoting God's kingdom. This is a basic principle of an Anabaptist understanding of the New Testament. "The weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds."
But Peter, we have to remember what kind of "Christian" Dr. Carson is. "We" like a lot of these sort of Christians and readily jump into their camp, buy their books, accept their "Gospel", but as Mennonites we get kindof-sortof-alittle uncomfortable with their presence in Caesar's court. Carson is not a Mennonite, he's not an Anabaptist, he's not a "Kingdom Christian" or a "Remnant Christian", his religion might actually be beneficial to the United States of America, if you object to his Christian Testimony that is a matter of calling him to repentance and to following after Jesus (the real "gospel") not criticizing his accepting a new job consistent with his religious orientation.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

I'm not sure I'm following you, Wayne. If you're saying that I should question Dr. Carson's Christianity, etc., I just can't go that far. I think it's sufficient to say that his course of action—and, indeed, a significant part of his religious orientation—is wrong.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

PeterG wrote:I'm not sure I'm following you, Wayne. If you're saying that I should question Dr. Carson's Christianity, etc., I just can't go that far. I think it's sufficient to say that his course of action—and, indeed, a significant part of his religious orientation—is wrong.
His course of action is consistent with his brand of Christianity. If a significant part of his religious orientation is wrong then his Christianity, which leads to his actions, is fundamentally wrong. We are so afraid of questioning someone's Christianity that we are left questioning their actions in a context entirely foreign to their Christianity, in the context of our Christianity, which really doesn't make sense.
0 x