Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Re: Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Post by PeterG »

Bootstrap wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:Before you quickly dismiss what I am saying think about this for a minute. The belief system that many Christians hold too particularly evangelicals were pretty mainstream only 15 to 20 years ago. But all that has changed. Now, to believe that abortion is wrong or that marriage is between a man and a women, invites the public to address you, ironically, in the most bigoted and hateful way imaginable. And that change happened very very fast.
The change that allowed us to elect a man with Trump's moral history also happened fast.
These changes that seem to have occurred so speedily are superficial. They are just new guises of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," deceptive values with very deep roots in our society.

[/curmudgeonliness]
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

PeterG wrote:It is extremely dangerous for Christians to resist identity as strangers and pilgrims.
Can you explain this more. I am not really understanding what you are saying.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

PeterG wrote: These changes that seem to have occurred so speedily are superficial. They are just new guises of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," deceptive values with very deep roots in our society.
I felt the same at Obama's second election. I feared it at the first, but the culture knew what he was about and elected him a second term. This surprised me.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Robert wrote:Make no mistakes. Trump is no dummie. He may not be fluent in speech, but he has manipulated the media for years. He knows how to work people to get what he wants.
In comparison, he has only manipulated the religious right for months. He may still have a few things to learn about that, but seems to be amazingly effective so far.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
Robert wrote:Make no mistakes. Trump is no dummie. He may not be fluent in speech, but he has manipulated the media for years. He knows how to work people to get what he wants.
In comparison, he has only manipulated the religious right for months. He may still have a few things to learn about that, but seems to be amazingly effective so far.
(i think) the bulk of the credit goes to the DNC and establishment politicians who became so awful, so self-centered, so dismissive of over half of voters, they "made their own bed."
they forgot all about their basic job descriptions: PUBLIC SERVANTS. big mistake.

any admin that makes this mistake will fail.
this will be key for Trump. but, i imagine he will deal with it.
he's a businessman, not an ideologue.

i'm seeing very little news. i see rancor, vindictiveness, possibly even attempts at sabotage.
however, not as bad as i thought. (i hope.)

i'm seeing attitude "adjustments" here+there, a bit of relaxing, even a smile wanting to pop out.

i have to wonder, is his opposition afraid they will be treated as badly as they have treated him+others?! -
i believe, when they realize the answer is, "no." they will settle down.
and, i do believe the answer will be "no."
because that's not a productive outcome. it's not constructive, it's a waste of time. business people want productive outcomes.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

"fluent in speech?" - :P
"W" was not, obama is not, no one expects trump to be.
our culture is not producing Abraham Lincoln types.
maybe one day.

in the meanwhile, the job must be done.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote:
Effective enough to be endorsed by people who should know better! I have long suspected that the religious right was fundamentally a political movement with religious trappings. Mr. Trump all but proves it.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Effective enough to be endorsed by people who should know better! I have long suspected that the religious right was fundamentally a political movement with religious trappings. Mr. Trump all but proves it.

J.M.
I think that stereotypes and groups a lot of people into one when most the ones who voted for Trump seem to come from their own perspective. Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin were not lead by the religious right. They seem were more reactive to the job situations. Some in the southern states, immigration was key. Yet another group, the war on terror was their primary concern.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Effective enough to be endorsed by people who should know better! I have long suspected that the religious right was fundamentally a political movement with religious trappings. Mr. Trump all but proves it.
J.M.
I think that stereotypes and groups a lot of people into one when most the ones who voted for Trump seem to come from their own perspective. Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin were not lead by the religious right. They seem were more reactive to the job situations. Some in the southern states, immigration was key. Yet another group, the war on terror was their primary concern.
the entire DNC was sold out on corporate abortion, top-down, they left no flexibility. at all.
they lost many votes there.
i don't believe that was regional, do you?

but, again, most voters have no idea about Anabaptist views on voting, government, etc.
how much is even known about CO's? it's not on the radar.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

temporal1 wrote:the entire DNC was sold out on corporate abortion, top-down, they left no flexibility. at all.
they lost many votes there.
I would say this was a leading issue for the religious right to support Trump since he clearly stated he would appoint pro life judges. I also think that many of the religious right that sat out last election with Romney felt driven not to do that again. I see it as a reaction to their failure to support Romney and the affects of that the past 4 years.
0 x