Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Post by temporal1 »

i believe some MD/MN folks are interested in Dr Carson, this thread will pick up where life is today, post-election.

typically, there are rumors about his plans, i enjoy receiving email updates with-his-signature.
(some of these request financial support, i have not contributed financially, nor do i request others do so. that's a private matter.)

i first read about Dr Carson on MD, maybe 2-3 years ago?
i've been interested in him, and his dear wife, Candy, ever since.
i appreciate his/their heart for others, i do not understand or agree with everything he does, but, overall, "following" his/their path has been a positive in my life.
Yesterday, it was reported that I have decided not to take a job in President-elect Trump's Cabinet. That is true, and I'd like to take a moment to explain why.

Aside from roughly one year as a candidate for President, I have been a citizen -- and looking at the challenges ahead, that's how I believe I can be most effective in helping to enact our new President's ambitious agenda.

Rather than leading a federal department and concentrating on one issue, I feel I can have the biggest impact on the broadest number of issues by helping to lead a movement of my fellow citizens, outside of the Washington bubble.

One way that I'll be staying intricately involved is with the American Legacy Center, through our Fight the Court project, but likely on other topics as well.

The fact is, nominating a new justice to the U.S. Supreme Court will be one of Donald Trump's first actions as President, and we must start preparing for the fight ahead.

... ... ...

Over the course of the last few months, our Fight for the Court project allowed us to reach millions upon millions of people across the country, and I cannot tell you how many emails we've received from people telling us how much this influenced their decision.

That's a very rewarding thing to hear.

At the end of the day, there are incredibly important challenges before us, and I'm proud to have played a small role in keeping the focus on what really matters.

Thanks for your time, and I hope you will continue to support this project as we prepare for the fight ahead. This is just the beginning, and there's a lot of work to do.

Sincerely,

Ben Carson
Chairman, Fight for the Court
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Re: Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Post by temporal1 »

at one point after Dr Carson withdrew from the campaign, he made a statement that he and Candy were -most- interested in improving education for children and young people. i loved this idea!

since, i see he has accepted chairmanship of a couple of political groups, as the one above.
i'm neutral on these. i read, have mixed feelings.

i continue to hope he/they will have a big influence in education.

if there is to be any peace to come, the "government indoctrination centers" need a big overhaul, Pre-K through college. the focus must be on balanced, critical thinking; and, quality of education, not "free" education.
0 x

UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

temporal1 wrote:...the "government indoctrination centers" need a big overhaul, Pre-K through college. the focus must be on balanced, critical thinking; and, quality of education, not "free" education.
Those are some very strong beliefs. What is your basis for feeling this way? What issues are you referring to? What do you suggest be changed?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
temporal1 wrote:...the "government indoctrination centers" need a big overhaul, Pre-K through college. the focus must be on balanced, critical thinking; and, quality of education, not "free" education.
Those are some very strong beliefs. What is your basis for feeling this way? What issues are you referring to? What do you suggest be changed?
your questions surprise, the topic is such a common one, on+off and MD/MN. there are so many examples.

i will attempt to answer briefly, but, somehow, i sense your questions are essentially rhetorical (?)

for various reasons, many people sacrifice time and money to keep their children out of state institutions, both home schools and private schools; it's nothing new, but alternative schools are thriving, and successful, from what i read about both college entrance and employment of graduates.

i don't believe there is any question about the superior quality of education, not long after obama was first in office, there was praise of these schools, and ideas came forth about how to possibly offer incentives to private schools to accept more students .. this was an interesting topic on MD.

the general consensus was, no matter how tempting the money, submitting to government mandates was not worth it.

MD had many threads on this topic.
for me, possibly the personal testimony of hopenafuture might have described (facts) best. at the time, hope was a homeschooling mother of 3 boys, i understand, their family has grown, and her husband accepted work as a pastor .. she was always very busy, but, after the 3 boys were sleeping, she used to post on MD.

it would be great to have an update from them, that may be "hoping" for too much. :mrgreen:

(i believe) hope had both bachelor's and master's degrees in education (?)
you would have appreciated her detailed desciptions of government funded schools, and their mandates. interesting insights and perspectives.

most recently, my first thoughts are about reports of colleges firing professors that dared-not embrace liberal views, examples in the news; also, conservative speakers banned from campuses, some had seminars cancelled; requirements for sex and health ed that promote social experiments as fact, while removing parents' rights to either know or choose to opt-out .. schools involved with voter registration with the express purpose of promoting liberal politics, not-even balanced politics. schools allowing students passes from classroom attendance to attend liberal political activist protests, and so on. students of voting age and not.

however, this is a topic for another thread, if anyone is interested.
this thread is to be principally about Dr Carson.

i hope that's ok. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:i believe some MD/MN folks are interested in Dr Carson, this thread will pick up where life is today, post-election.
You know, if Ben Carson is championed as a hero here on MN, I'm going to feel the need to raise some warnings. To me, some of the things that came up during the election raise serious questions about Carson's judgement and credibility. Frankly, I'd rather not have MN be about treating mere human beings as heroes and demons, as though our life revolved around the political figures who are most prominent in the media.

So how do we deal with this kind of thing? I'd rather not have the situation where someone is championed and cannot be questioned. But to me, it feels like raising questions about the people you champion is likely to result in heat. Could we perhaps focus on how we live, and not on who our political heroes and enemies are?

I'd rather not build factions around That Other Kingdom.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

you are welcome to ignore this thread. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:you are welcome to ignore this thread. :)
I would rather not ignore the culture wars when people bring them here. I would rather not ignore turning political figures into heroes and demons and conflating good versus evil with political factions and parties.

Frankly, I'd rather not spend time and effort on Ben Carson, but if he's going to continue to be a major topic of conversation, I will want to add some more information on him for balance. Objective facts, of course. But they might introduce a note of caution.

Ben Carson is not our savior. And revolving around political figures and controversies is not going to bring us one step closer to the Kingdom of God. But please don't get angry if I discuss a topic that you keep bringing up, and have a different position on it. I really don't want people to get the impression that Mennonites are mostly about the political factions of That Other Kingdom.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i have no idea why you are so over-reacting.
i know of no one, on or off MN, that holds Dr Carson in any light as you describe/accuse/judge.

no one has suggested he is perfect, typically, i post a word to this when i post on this topic, albeit, i don't feel the need for a disclaimer with every post.

i do not agree with all he's reported to have said, who does?
if you feel the need to trash him - go ahead. (we're all) accustomed to you doing that sort of thing when you feel like it.

plenty of threads go without any response - if there's no interest, ignore. it works.
you surely know not all threads receive replies?!
it happens to everyone who posts very much. it's happened to you, numerous times.
it works. threads die and are forgotten.

i'm sorry about your recent election disappointment.
you weren't able to destroy Trump, so, i'm the next-best-thing?
go ahead, batter away.

when you've finished, it's likely, everything will be pretty much the same as when you began.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

you know, i'm really not worth all this drama. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Thanks for the reply. My questions are not rhetorical at all; rarely are. :?

I think this thread needs to simmer down.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do