Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Post by temporal1 »

From Page 4, Nov 23:
temporal1 wrote:
Robert wrote: Just read he may be accepting the Secretary of HUD.
I would be very pleased to see that happen.
I think he would do great there.

I am encouraged by some of the people Trump is actually looking at.
Not the good ole boy normal picks.
(i believe) Trump received many votes because of the numbers of good, and willing, others making themselves evident during the campaign. Others who would have been overlooked/dismissed, if he did not win.

Trump was never a true conservative, so, why would anyone have expected "good ole boy" picks? .. i.e., only if they only listened to his opposition! - no surprise there.

successful business people know how to delegate, they have to, or fail.
thankfully, he has numbers of good people to delegate-to!

one person cannot run the U.S. on his/her own.
it was never planned that way, not from the beginning.

the media hypes presidential elections. it's easier and most profitable for them.
i recall on MD, after obama, the question came up about, "is POTUS a beauty contest?"
in many ways, yes, it is.
Robert,
i suppose by "good ole boy normal picks" you refer to "colleagues" and those invested in activism, while not necessarily experienced or deserving of appointments? a lot of that goes on. some have been mind-numbing. some have led to spectacular fails.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

ohio jones wrote:Image
Is it a joke/ reference I'm missing?. Regardless. it looks tasty...
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
ohio jones wrote:Image
Is it a joke/ reference I'm missing?. Regardless. it looks tasty...
Well it's a chocolate waffle, posted right after Dr. Carson changed his mind about whether to join Trump's administration. I hope that's not what OJ had in mind though. If so I'd consider the joke to be in bad taste.
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

The bananas are more to the point than the chocolate content, if any. The waffle part is obvious.

I used to have a high opinion of Dr. Carson. Perhaps that can be restored someday. But I think he has made a lot of questionable decisions in the last few months, and this seems like a continuation of those. I really hope I'm wrong.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

ohio jones wrote:The bananas are more to the point than the chocolate content, if any. The waffle part is obvious.

I used to have a high opinion of Dr. Carson. Perhaps that can be restored someday. But I think he has made a lot of questionable decisions in the last few months, and this seems like a continuation of those. I really hope I'm wrong.
I'm fine with that analogy.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i really need to get out more.
i thot those waffles must be pumpernickel :roll:

i prayed for obama to be a wonderful POTUS, i am doing the same for this admin.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:I used to have a high opinion of Dr. Carson. Perhaps that can be restored someday. But I think he has made a lot of questionable decisions in the last few months, and this seems like a continuation of those. I really hope I'm wrong.
Some things bring out the worst in most of us. Playing "talking head" is probably one of them, and promoting the culture wars to Christians is definitely one of them.

Someone who is a bad talking head just might be a good HUD secretary. It's an important job, I hope he does well - let's pray for that. Why not wait until he actually does something before making predictions?
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 7.43.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 7.43.25 AM.png (170.52 KiB) Viewed 492 times
In four years, let's look back and ask how he did. If he can bring compassion those HUD serves, make inner cities great for everyone, and improve the physical infrastructure in places where even water can be dangerous, then we will have something to praise him for. I'm not sure the government can do much to build the spiritual infrastructure in the inner city, but if he really can do that, more power to him. But when we look back, the important question isn't whether Carson is a savior or a demon - he is neither - the important question is what we have done to help those who need it, and what still needs to be done.

Our cities definitely need help. As Robert pointed out, we can count on Carson to be visible, and fixing our inner cities just hasn't been on the political road map for a very long time. Carson has no experience in this area, but people often do rise to the occasion. Let's pray that he does.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

ohio jones wrote:The bananas are more to the point than the chocolate content, if any. The waffle part is obvious.

The bananas? I don't get it.
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

RZehr wrote:The bananas? I don't get it.
Think of "going bananas" in the sense of taking temporary leave of one's faculties.
0 x