Arkansas law mandating "In God We Trust" in every classroom

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Arkansas law mandating "In God We Trust" in every classroom

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Not sure if this is something being discussed anywhere else, but an interesting current event in my state.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/loc ... /796836160
the law also requires the motto to appear in any public building that's maintained or operated by state funds
Obviously I have a lot of issues with this. Evangelicals are all rejoicing, though.
My alma-mater has stepped forward to act as the pioneer school- the first to fully embrace and practice the new law.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Arkansas law mandating "In God We Trust" in every classroom

Post by Josh »

Seems like Ceasar can embrace whatever slogans he wants. A stopped clock is right twice a day.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:Seems like Ceasar can embrace whatever slogans he wants. A stopped clock is right twice a day.
ACLU may try and do some clock work soon 8-)
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

KB, i believe we may be living in polar opposite cultures.
i'm not sure what life would be like in your location.

but, i promise you, here, at the opposite end, life is hellish.

i cannot imagine using the 8-) icon to describe my view of the ACLU. :(
i would like to see them disappear from use.

i believe them to be a bullying force whose reputation preceeds them, the fear of any litigation with them often radically changes local decisions, without benefit of any debate, at all.
too much power, too much money.

i have no doubt you have reasons for your views.
just to warn you, there may be worse out there. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

The " 8-) " was to my joke about clockwork, not my view of the ACLU.

Hellish? I think that's a bit far. Don't ya think?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:The " 8-) " was to my joke about clockwork, not my view of the ACLU.

about ACLU, i see, ok. :)
about hellish ..
i'm afraid it's not a stretch.
i'm in an ultra-lib area of the NW, recently reading local city "proclamations," getting involved with public school, then, Sunday, after church, receiving "more" political propaganda in letter form .. i was sick and overwhelmed.

i see nothing good coming from the intense propaganda machine obsessed with unseating our current POTUS. to read about it somewhat from a distance is one thing, to be in the midst of it, another.
these are people who should know better, yet they cluster together, of course, not daring to make waves in their own boat. i.e., not daring to have an independent thought. they see how those differing are treated! - who wants, or has time, for that?!

i do appreciate Wayne's recent posts regarding the definition and process of scientific studies.
and, what is NOT science! i am bothered by what is being taught - and not taught!

this area is wealthy+privileged, people have choices.
i'm not sensing much depth. i see lack of confidence in the important things, lack of confidence, direction, in parenting. lots of divorce. lots of baby-talk to, indulgence of, children.

schools used to have the goal of graduating independent thinkers.
today's goal, or, results, seem to far more align with script readers.
for me, it's scary. as an understatement.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Here we have been getting ultra-con propoganda in the mail and in our government.
Have you gotten letters in the mail from nonprofits that display portraits of Donald Trump with the words "MAKE CHRISTIANITY GREAT AGAIN" above his head? The letter goes on to cite how the battle against the anti-Christ liberals was won, but the war isn't over. "We need your help!"- for country, faith, family, and our armed services.

Which is worse? I'll go out and say this type of rhetoric is worse than what you described in your area.
As you said about your case, I see no good coming from it. I see no good from either.

I suppose I could describe my surroundings as hellish, and I'm sure I have in the past. I don't know though... with all the decay I see around the world, it doesn't feel right to describe my plush existence as hellish. My Bible sits beside my padded bed, down the hall from my stocked kitchen; inside a loving and unthreatened home. Perspective.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Here we have been getting ultra-con propoganda in the mail and in our government.
As a liberal in a conservative area, I resonate with this. I'm not sure what Temp describes is any worse than the eight years of propaganda about Obama's birth certificate or that he was a secret Muslim terrorist. Both ends of the political spectrum have their own highly developed media infrastructure that feeds people with a steady stream of information that affirms their worldview and demonizes the other side. We're all susceptible to it in some form or another.

It's not easy for anyone to live in a culture or community that is different from us or believes differently from us. At times, it can be really lonely. At the same time, I've had rich and meaningful relationships with people who I disagree with on politics, theology and basic general worldview. But it does take intentionality and it does mean learning to develop cross-cultural relationship skills in an environment where we put ourselves into self-constructed ghettos.
I suppose I could describe my surroundings as hellish, and I'm sure I have in the past. I don't know though... with all the decay I see around the world, it doesn't feel right to describe my plush existence as hellish. My Bible sits beside my padded bed, down the hall from my stocked kitchen; inside a loving and unthreatened home. Perspective.
We can't control what's in the media. We can't control what other people think. But we do have some control about what we consume and we do choose what we focus on and pay attention to. We are also responsible if our lives are "hellish" because the neighbors don't believe or value what we do.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

temporal1 wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:The " 8-) " was to my joke about clockwork, not my view of the ACLU.

about ACLU, i see, ok. :)
about hellish ..
i'm afraid it's not a stretch.
i'm in an ultra-lib area of the NW, recently reading local city "proclamations," getting involved with public school, then, Sunday, after church, receiving "more" political propaganda in letter form .. i was sick and overwhelmed.
Hmmm. I have a very conservative, headveiling menno cousin who went to university in the pacific nw (not "christian" either) and I never heard her describe her sojourn there as "hellish". Quite the opposite in fact. From what I could tell she not only kept her faith, was strengthened in her faith and impacted people along the way. Receiving junk mail that piques you a bit is far far from hellish. :shock:
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson