VICE News: "Charlottesville: Race and Terror"

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

VICE News: "Charlottesville: Race and Terror"

Post by Szdfan »

One of the things that has gone viral this past week, is a short documentary by VICE on HBO, which was on the ground in Charlottesville during the "Unite the Right" rally. While the doc focuses on both the white supremacists and the counter-protesters, it mostly features Christopher Cantwell, who emerged as a WS leader during this.

I think the doc does an excellent job showing the heightened emotions and terror during the rally. Warning: lots of bad language and footage of the vehicular attack that killed Heather Heyer.

https://news.vice.com/story/vice-news-t ... and-terror

I think that this doc might add something to our discussions that we're having if anyone's interested.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: VICE News: "Charlottesville: Race and Terror"

Post by Bootstrap »

Interesting. A Vice reporter was with one of the extremist groups, filming them and interviewing them throughout the event. If you want to hear people from a couple of the extremist groups speaking in their own voice, this is really quite good. 30 minutes long.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Just for the record I want to emphasize that I find the statements made by the white supremacists in this video to be vile and awful. While there are many many videos on youtube that would show statements being made that are also awful by opposing groups, it in no way justifies what these guys say and do in this video.
I so wish that I could reach these people with the love of Christ. Hate is literally eating them up and it is sad.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hate speech breeds hate speech. It fills the heart with hate. It doesn't matter who is saying it because all sides are in the wrong. Should we spend so much time focusing on political propaganda that's drowning internet forums and social media or is it better to focus upon our relationship with Christ? I know some love the excitement of the emotions being stirred with this propaganda but is it the goal of our discipleship to jump on this emotional bandwagon because we're seeking excitement?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God