Catholic Group for Nonviolence

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Catholic Group for Nonviolence

Post by Once Again »

http://www.lastampa.it/2017/08/16/vatic ... agina.html

I thought this was interesting.

"The umbrella group of the leaders of U.S. Catholic men’s religious orders has committed to working to persuade Pope Francis to write a new encyclical letter focused on shifting church teaching away from just war theory towards Gospel nonviolence."
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Catholic Group for Nonviolence

Post by RZehr »

That's good news.

This caught my notice:

"A number of theologians have criticized continued use of the theory in modern times, saying that both the powerful capabilities of modern weapons and evidence of the effectiveness of nonviolent campaigns make it outdated."

Interesting that the ineffectiveness of just war theory and bigger bombs are the impetus for change.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Catholic Group for Nonviolence

Post by MaxPC »

I'm glad you brought this up. I've been following this conversation within our Church. The huge game changer was the development of nuclear bombs. Going into WWII, there was no such capability. "Just War" was the rationale to depose the evil of Hitler and Japanese aggression.

With the atom bombing of Nagasake and Hiroshima, the devastation shocked everyone. Now there are bombs exponentially more powerful than those used: some estimate that only 10 of these 'super bombs' would wipe out civilization around the world.

Lord Jesus, come. :pray :pray
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God