White supremacy angers Jesus, but does it anger his church?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
haithabu
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:11 pm
Affiliation: MennoBaptist

Re: White supremacy angers Jesus, but does it anger his church?

Postby haithabu » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:23 pm

0 x

MaxPC
Posts: 1637
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm
Location: Full time RVers
Affiliation: Catholic
Contact:

Re: White supremacy angers Jesus, but does it anger his church?

Postby MaxPC » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Robert wrote:
PeterG wrote:It is evil to kill another human being.


I agree. I also think it is evil to minimize another human being, especially the ones you disagree with.

Jesus speaks directly to this. Love your enemies.

Loving your enemies does two things. One, it keeps you form minimizing them to a sub class. Two, it encourages one to work towards a relationship instead of fighting against an adversary.

As soon as I say Antifa, Nazis, Russians, minorities, or women are lesser of a human, I then am elevating myself as more important and giving excuse for mistreatment of them.

I totally detest what the NW stand for but I would shield one with my body if needed. I totally disagree with what Antifa does, but I would shield one with my body if needed.

Many wars and war crimes come from one side justifying their actions because of the actions of the others. We have to bomb North Korea or they will bomb us. We have to stop Hitler or he will come kill us. We must target illegal immigrants and run them out of our country.

All sin and fall short of the glory of God. None of us should be pardoned for our actions. As soon as we target any group as more deserving of punishment, we start down the path of minimizing them. We often justify our revulsion of things like white supremacy by finding a way to knock down the person who we perceive as projecting it.

When two sides are fighting, the first thing is to stop the fight. If we start saying one side should stop because they are more evil, the other side will become more emboldened and increase their attacks. We are not reducing the amount of violence, just shifting it.

Saying "The president didn't say what I wanted him to say and I think he is a white supremacist" Is throwing fuel on the fire. I wish he would have said what he said Monday on Saturday, but he said what he said. I watched a video last night of him denouncing the WN groups about 20 times over 10 years. The media and his political adversaries are carrying a false narrative that he has not or will not denounce them. It IS fake news. It emboldens him and he is stubborn and likes a fight, so he fights back by saying less, as he did Tuesday.

The challenge is, as we have seen even here on this topic, people only hear what they have already decided is being said. We are not listening, asking questions and moving the dialogue forward towards peace. I say we, because I am sure I am totally involved in the lack of forward movement.

I am no saint> I see my sins and shortcomings. I feel in no place to judge others, be it the President, WN or Antifa. I bet I could sit down with each and understand why they react like they do. Again, understand is not support or agree, but understand what brought them to that point in life. I doubt any of the three would care enough to try to understand what and where I come from. If I determine my actions based on theirs, then I am not living by the "Rules for Christians." I have to work to act despite their actions. I have to work to act despite others posts too. I am not there yet, but working on it.

Amen :up:
0 x
Max (aka Plain Catholic)
Psalm 105

KingdomBuilder
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Re: White supremacy angers Jesus, but does it anger his church?

Postby KingdomBuilder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Robert wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:It's sickening and blasphemous for self-identifying Christians to come out of the woodwork in order to defend a grievous, murderous past and it's relics by claiming it's all tied to and was driven by the Church of God.


While I am not sympathetic to slavery at all, I do know there was much more involved in the secession of the south. There was a major cultural divide that included slavery. It was not the only issue that divided the north and south.

Many grew up in that culture and were ignorant of anything better or different. They were taught that others were sub human because they were not as educated or intelligent. That they were the elite and those others were just ignorant uneducated deplorables.

Now that is taught to those who attend colleges and universities and promoted my many on the left.


I don't see your point. I'm quite familiar with studying the civil war, including the cultural, ideological, and economic motives of the war.
Still, the fact is we aren't dealing with addressing what it was about, we have to deal with what it is about now.

What does any of that have to do with modern churchgoers spreading religious falsities about the rebel flag ??
0 x
Never a storm can the soul overwhelm,
Jesus the Savior is near

Robert
Site Janitor
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: White supremacy angers Jesus, but does it anger his church?

Postby Robert » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:29 pm

KingdomBuilder wrote:What does any of that have to do with modern churchgoers spreading religious falsities about the rebel flag ??


I am not sure they were falsities. A lot of the reason why the south hung on to it's identity was the carpetbaggers and Union Soldiers who worked to dismantle many other aspects of the culture besides slavery. The flag became a symbol of the resistance, not to the war, but the efforts to reculturalize all aspects of the southern culture.

I have no doubts that the differing parts of the flag have symbolic meaning. The US flag does also. So does a candy cane. Some may hold on to those symbols, while others eat the candy cane and could care less.

Sorry if I got confused with what you were upset about.
0 x
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.

KingdomBuilder
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Re: White supremacy angers Jesus, but does it anger his church?

Postby KingdomBuilder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Robert wrote:I have no doubts that the differing parts of the flag have symbolic meaning. The US flag does also. So does a candy cane. Some may hold on to those symbols, while others eat the candy cane and could care less.

Sorry if I got confused with what you were upset about.


There are some interesting documents/ notes written during the flag design... None that I saw mentioned any religious aspects. In fact, one I saw actually said they chose the diagonal cross over an upright cross design.
0 x
Never a storm can the soul overwhelm,
Jesus the Savior is near

Valerie
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:59 am
Location: Medina OH
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: White supremacy angers Jesus, but does it anger his church?

Postby Valerie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:53 am

ken_sylvania wrote:
Valerie wrote:
RZehr wrote:
8-) how can they all be the Most Reverend? 8-)


But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, (Jude 1:20)


It's not used as competition, but encouragement to 'be' Most Reverential- towards our Most Holy God- :hug:


Um, I'm afraid not. "Reverend" is an honorific, used to denote that a person is to be revered, or honored.


agreed- and if you have been given that title, you would surely want to reverence the Lord-
1 Timothy 5:17
King James Bible
Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
0 x


Return to “Current Events and Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests